Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » General Discussion » hey there mr. engineer... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: hey there mr. engineer...
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THERMODYNAMICS OF HELL
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with his colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

BONUS QUESTION
Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

However, one student wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that, "In order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume in Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added." This gives two possibilities: 1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose. 2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year, "that it would be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you ," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.
The student received the only "A" given.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's bad enough that I get this shit in my email, but now, Hauseridiot is POSTING SPAM. Jesus Christ, get a fucking clue.
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't you just bend over and pick yourself up?
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cramer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chad,

do you know the drag coefficant of your
sami?

Posts: 771 | From: Farmington | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was similar to a volkswagon bus...
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it, it's 4.
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4?
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three.
Three shall be the number.

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cramer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how much resistance to rolling does it have?
Posts: 771 | From: Farmington | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 10 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

chad,

do you know your power to weight ratio??

if you are rolling down a hill at 45 mph,
how much fuel are you using???

Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

chad,

would the softness and malability of a copper
" bb ", work to fill the gaps in my ring and
pinion?? i was going to add a 200 count
package to the rear diff/axel, along with
new gear oil, hoping this might cure the
" noise " that seems to be originating in the
rear of the vehicle. do you have any thoughts
on this??

Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

if your travling at 45mph how many cfm of air
is your truck using in 1000 kilometers?

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 5 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I...ummmm.....ahhhhhh......I think its....4...
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try titanium shavings in your diff or possibly adamantium. This way the ring gear after being reinforced with the shavings would last longer than with copper.

It would be like your own little titanium plated differential.

You could also try platunum. But make sure to install a chrome diff cover after using this. Ther Chrome shell has many advantages.....

Posting God
Member # 20

I prefer red-hot magma.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to popular demand I will be re-activating the "Ask Martin" forum......
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you shouldn't
Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

could you please explain how a divergent
duct effects air flow, and pressure?

isnt that what you went to school for??

cajun
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hee Hee Hee! It's 1:17 AM and the Unemployed Engineer can't sleep! Ooh, questions that test Engineer's knowledge, eh?

Hrmm.

Copper BB's in Differential to reduce noise:

Eh, no. Won't work. Try bananas, including the peel. Thickens the gear oil enough to reduce the noise. (Trick from mechanics Down Under...)

45MPH truck, how many cfm of air are you using in 1,000 km:

Depends, are you asking how many cubic feet per minute of air the carb is ingesting at that speed or are you asking how much air in total is ingested for that 1,000 km? (An African or European Swallow?)

IIRC, we're talking about a Suzuki Samurai. 1600cc engine. Assume 31" tires, 4.11 gears, 1.23:1 high range transfer, 4th gear (1:1).
45mph=72.42kmh=1.21kmm=1220mm.
31"tall=.79mtall=2.47mcircumference.
=>493.19 tire rpm=2493 engine rpm.
Say engine working at 50%volumetric efficiency (50% throttle...)
=>997200cubic centimeters/min=35.22cfm

So answer one would be 35.22 cfm at 45mph given the above assumptions.

Answer two would be 29,107 cubic feet of air.

Explain how a divergent duct affects air flow and pressure:

Divergent duct = diffuser.

Diffuser would cause a reduction in air velocity and an increase in pressure.

Any other questions? Got my textbooks and references handy...
-Will

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 13 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stock Suzuki Samurai Engine

1300 cc

You recive partial credit....

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 13 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also 4th gear in a samurai isn't 1:1 ratio.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Also the stock samurai t-fer high range is 1.409:1

Further, there is no 4.11 R&P set offerd for the suzuki 7.5" disserential.

Posting God
Member # 20

I did the math. Then answer is ZERO. A sami can't go 72kph, with any gears or any engine. Never mind doing it for 621 miles. It would collapse into a quantum singularity.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 14 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's right at least for a tired stock motor anyway....
cajun
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my formulas are correct, at least. Plug in your constants (including your value for VE) and see what you get.
-Will

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's Brake Specific Mean Power?
Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 4 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your talking about a vehicle it is the average power at the wheels. So it is the power produced by the engine minus the losses it experiences interanlly of the engine and throughout the drivetrain.
Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

what is

dimethal-tricebestos?

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote: "losses it experiences interanlly"???

INTERANLLY, I think you meant to say
inter-anal-ly,,,,

man your just spending too much time with your truck.....

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here we go again......

j/k

i just type really fast and simtomes it getts a bet garblead

Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cramer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEY GOD DAMN IT!!! I ASKED A FUCKING QUESTION!!!!

WHAT IS DIMETHAL-TRICEBESTOS?????

ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!!

Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's used in the production of Dilithium Crystals, duuuhhh!!
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CONNECT THE GODDAMM DOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW - thanks, Chad. There are a few smartasses on the TDI forum that love to throw out terms like that to sound smarter than they actually are. Self-proclamined "internet experts", probably live in their parents' basement. Grrrr!
Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cramer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT!

MORE CONDICENDING CLARVOANCE BULL-SHIT!

I WAS JUST ASKING A QUESTION!!

someday i will be as cool as you guys,
just hold your breath, and wait and see!!!

and i have not moved home again... not yet.
but i do live in the basement of the sup, and
she acts like " mother superior ".....
sometimes.

[This message has been edited by cramer (edited 10-09-2001).]

ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jomama:
Quote: "losses it experiences interanlly"???

INTERANLLY, I think you meant to say
inter-anal-ly,,,,

I know, let's have a spelling bee.....

[This message has been edited by Klaus (edited 10-10-2001).]

bich
Hispanic Mechanic
Member # 35

Icon 6 posted      Profile for bich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chad, how far would your spamari go up a 1% grade hill with a 3mph cross wind with a 1/2 gallon of gas left in the tank and a flaming rag for a gas cap?
Posts: 38 | From: eaganmnusa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bich
Hispanic Mechanic
Member # 35

Icon 6 posted      Profile for bich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry make that a full tank of gas. It will make a better effect.
Posts: 38 | From: eaganmnusa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 5 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It always seems to be the ford owners that have all kinds of pent up frustration for thoes that drive other vehicles. Maybe if you guys got a vehicle that didnt dissapoint so often you would lead much happier lives.

hmmmmmmmm?

This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005