Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » General Discussion » Question for Dr. Olson/Klaus??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Dr. Olson/Klaus??
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was looking at the Glucosamine tablets today. There appears to be two different Glucosamine tablets that supposidly help with bad joints. Some contained Glucosamine Hydrochloride (HCL) and some contained Glucosamine Sulfate (or Sulfide)??? One product contained both, and most had one of two other active ingredients (MSM or the Conjointen stuff). Do you know anything about the differences Brad? What about the vet?

[beer]

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad will know more about this on Wednesday when he returns but I have been giving Keisha - Glucosamine 500 mg plus chondroitin sulfate 400 mg. I guess the only thing to really look for is the Glucosamine - the chondroitin hasn't really been proven effective in any tests, but the Glucosamine has been. You want the Glucosamine Hydrochloride I believe.

Go do a seach on Google and you will find many explainations of the studies that have been done.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know a lot of the details of exactly how it works but the sulfate vs. hydrochloride refers to the salt that the drug is dissolved or carried in. It's the same chemical either way but it's delivered by a different agent. Some people might absorb it better with one instead of the other. A lot of people have allergies to sulfa drugs and they also can cause alterations to your sense of taste. They tend to give things a nasty metallic taste, especially carbonated beverages. I'd stay away from the sulfate version and use the hydrochloride.

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill ask kelly she would probably know some on this subject. Pharmacy student.

She always makes fun of how regular MD's know scary little about the drugs or dietary supliments they perscribe or reccomend.

Though Brad will probably know the most.

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crack_Dealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly would probably know more about the actaul details of how the drug works and why each one would be better. But, most of the research has been done on glucosamine sulfate (I actually don't know if I've even seen any studies on glucaosamine hydrochloride). Personally I'd stick with the glucosamine sulfate.

As far as the chondroitin and/or MSM, I don't believe either has been proven substantially effective. Both have studies showing slight improvements with joint diseases. That's why they are included in the glucosamine "formulas". Any way the nutraceutical companies can "gimmick" up their products the better they believe they will sell. Both the chondroitin or MSM will not hurt anything though.

The human dosage for glucosamine is 1500 mg per day. (Not 1500 mg of "formula" but 1500 mg of glucosamine) I don't know what the dosage for an animal would be but I would base it on weight of the animal. If the average person is 150-200 pounds, I would cut the dosage of the animal by the same percent as body weight to humans. Just a thought.

--------------------
"Rarely has it been so clear how much we, the ordinary people of this country, are better than our rulers. I hope that lesson is not lost on anyone, of any political persuasion."

Posts: 520 | From: Shakopee, MN USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005