Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » General Discussion » Qwest DSL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Qwest DSL?
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any point in me getting Qwest DSL? They are now offering 256k with MSN for no setup fee and free DSL modem: $39.95/mo.
I've read the rants, but it's hard for me to justify shelling out the $$$ for DSL, but this (if decent) might be something I'm willing to go with.
Also, how does it work with my existing phone #? Will the DSL line have it's own (new) #, or will it be integrated with my existing line?

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your current number will not be effected. DSL comes in through the same line and is split off by the modem/router.

We pay 31.95 to Qwest and 15.00 to US internet the ISP. However, we have the deluxe package. This means we are always connected. The choice package that I am sure they are trying to sell you is a "dial up" type - you click a button it connects and after two hours you need to connect again. I would recommend the external modem/router not the intel PCI card they are giving away. If you call and tell them you don't have any more PCI slots in your computer they may give you the external for free. Make sure to say that you do have a network card already installed, that's how the external hooks in.

Qwest service once the DSL is installed is good - it's just getting hooked in. My advice is to call every few days and check on the order. Make sure it dosen't get lost.

Can you get cable internet there? Mike likes the phone/cable/cable internet package they offer in Eagan.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, don't forget Qwest is under a federal investigation by the SEC for some 'creative accounting' like WorldCom. Wagers on how long they'll be around?
Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 8 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qworst can eat shit and die. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Somehow they've managed to stay in business even with their horrible service and stupid employees. Maybe the truth will finally come out.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have cable run up to the house (we went with satellite), so any other suggestions on DSL?

Satellite connection to the internet is way too expensive...

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get Satelite - the ping time is way too high.

I had uswest/qwest as my isp for a few years and they were fine, I would consider not getting MSN as your ISP. The smaller ISP's are more able to help if there is a problem. However, during the hookup it has been my experience that the ISP and qwest don't work very well together. Again, call almost daily for an update. US internet has been great since we switched - I know the people there because our corporate T1 is through them also.

Make sure to get the external modem - if they want to charge you for one, just complain a lot and they usually give in and send it out. If they still refuse - you might call their tech support and see what other modem/routers work with the system and get one at Best Buy. When I was in Chicago I purchased a Linksys 5 port switch/DSL routher for $60 that worked awesome. However, the DSL in Chicago (Ameritech) is different so that router wouldn't work here.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Brent did you order the DSL????
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I still got nothing - not even dial-up.
I'm pretty sure I'm just going to splice a line off to the PC and use my free dial-up (which means no gaming; not like I have the time for it anyway).

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005