Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » General Discussion » WHAT THE FUCK GOOD ARE UNIONS.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHAT THE FUCK GOOD ARE UNIONS.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the mechanics branch of the machinists union for united airlines rejected taking the critical pay cut to save the airline from banruptcy the company was as many of you know forced into bankruptcy. If they had agreed to the proposed 7% paycut they would have qualified for the government aid garentee.

Now because the ****ing morons and their unions rejected the 7% cut and forced their company into bankruptcy, now they are facing job cuts, a court mandated 13% paycut to the remaining workers and their company stock is worthless.

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [finger] [finger] [knife] [shake]

What a bunch of morons! AND the best part is that their union is the ones who convinced them to vote against it. Thank god they have their UNION to look out after their wellbeing and prosparity.

Maybe now all these union ****s will realize when you dont take care of your employer and force him to pay you more than he can (THUS MORE THAN YOU ARE WORTH) then your employer cant take care of YOU!

Oh well, what goes around comes around have fun swiming in the shit that you shat ****ers.
Story Here

[ 06-11-2003, 09:09: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot [lol] [lol]

The spin surrounding unions and their supposid benefits is so thick, the average laborer has no idea who's even remotely being truthfull. Rememeber the X-mass UPS strike about 5 yrs ago. The union just mis-informs their constituents. Its sad. I'm forced to be in one just by taking my job. My benefits are "OK" nothing spectacular, better than the Feds, but besides that, they don't "provide" me with anything. And I, a single male, 30yr old, no health problems, pay the same as a 55yr old, married couple with 6 kids, for my health insurance.... [Mad]

There's no way I'll ever make the claims that the family of 6 does...... [brd]

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate unions and all their bullshit! I deal with them on a daily basis and the red tape my company goes through costs thousands of dollars a year. I know in some cases such as Larrys they benefit him to a huge degree. Of course defeating supply and demand by charging companies many times what the free market would demand is robbery. Eventually airlines will fold because of labor costs or farm out to other countries to save a buck..... but hey at least the remaining workers will be making a buttload of cash [brd]

And Joe many private companies have the same type of employer/employee healthcare system. The very private company I work for is one of them. I pay the same as a 80 year old with a wife and 4 kids [Frown] I see the medica bills so I know just how high the healthcare premiums are. The 80 yr old pays about 25% of his premium - I pay about 110% of mine. It's simple averaging and not very fair to us young workers. A lot of companies do this not just unions.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crack_Dealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jomama:
There's no way I'll ever make the claims that the family of 6 does...... [brd]

No better time than the present to start. Insurance companies work on the lottery system. They bank on the fact that you will not get sick. They have way more young people insured than older people...therefore collecting mucho money that never needs to be paid out. [brd]
I'm guessing in an average year you probably are paying close to $1200 per year for health coverage. I say make sure you have at least $1200 in medical expenses per year. The easiest way is with a $1200 MRI of that sore ankle/shoulder/knee, whatever. Most plans actually let you get one without a doctors referal and they are covered at 100%...meaning no out of pocket expense from you. [Big Grin]
Plus they are cool!!! [beer]

[ 12-16-2002, 18:45: Message edited by: Crack_Dealer ]

--------------------
"Rarely has it been so clear how much we, the ordinary people of this country, are better than our rulers. I hope that lesson is not lost on anyone, of any political persuasion."

Posts: 520 | From: Shakopee, MN USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prob pay 2.5x that TOTAL (including a hycra account/dental/vision), about $280 a month I believe [weep] . I'm using what I can. But I can only afford to put so much in the hycra, and don't want to pay some larger deductable out-of-pocket, so I'm limited by how much I put in my hycra.

My union actually tried to get a multiplan system in, where I'd be on the "single-employee" plan where's others would have to be on the "employee w/dependents" plan. But the state block the union [fight] and I think they each sue'd each other over it [knife] . And I get fucked..... [shake]

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 8 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No shit on the whole expensive red tape and all that bullshit. The building contracting industry for both electrical and mechanical is so thick with unions in the twincites that we have to deal with their bullshit on a daily basis. Makes me sick.

Unions will always be just organized crime to me.
Why when i own the buisness do i have to bow to my employees on every issue. What kind of fucked up way is that....

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you guys think your health care is expensive try working for a small buisness. My company pays almost 350 a month for me. And the only reason its not higher than that is because i qualify to remain on an extended program with my mothers ISD 196 policy. MORE union bullshit.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our company was throwing away so much money in health care each year that we are now self insured. The company covers like the first $2000 of each employee and after that medica covers it. Of course our medica rates are ALOT cheaper this way. It's basically just for big claims, otherwise we cover in cash the little stuff. We have saved alot of money so far so the gamble is paying off - but who knows from year to year. Our workforce is pretty young so maybe that is the key.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larry
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 12-17-2002, 03:23: Message edited by: larry ]

Posts: 88 | From: North Idaho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you messed up while editing your message larry. Here let me repost it for you......

quote:
Do your research.....this is a proposal...the economics of Untied are not tied to one or two unions but rather years of mismanagement....the new ceo of Untied recieved a 53 million dollar "signing" bonus...that is 1000 mechanics wages for a year...between 1992 and 2002 a mechanic at Untieds wages went from 50k a year to 53k a year now they want them to give back money again into a failed stock program...in the same period Untied had record profits...there pilots had a 45% increase in wages to drive a bus...and the flight attendents got a 35% raise to serve peanuts and soda....so ill take my union with it crappy wages free health insurance and wait for my next increase in wages last time it only took 10 years for the mechanics to get a raise...while northwest had record profits.....

Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crack_Dealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chadwick:
And you guys think your health care is expensive try working for a small buisness. My company pays almost 350 a month for me. And the only reason its not higher than that is because i qualify to remain on an extended program with my mothers ISD 196 policy. MORE union bullshit.

If your companies are paying this much for healthcare you need to shop around. The company I used to work for had 3 employees and we had a top notch Blue Cross/Blue Shield Aware Gold policy and my total premium (my half plus my employers half)together was $120 a month which had no deductible, $15 co-pays and paid 100% in-network and 80% out of network (with a $200 deductible). Blue Cross has excellent programs for the small business, but small business owners typically assume Blue Cross is too expensive for them and don't bother to check there rates.

--------------------
"Rarely has it been so clear how much we, the ordinary people of this country, are better than our rulers. I hope that lesson is not lost on anyone, of any political persuasion."

Posts: 520 | From: Shakopee, MN USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

You forget that Chad is a lunger [Smile]
Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

True....it helps if you can somehow hide your pre-existing conditions.

--------------------

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 8 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some would call you a parts changer larry.... like building a lego kit you read the manual and go from there....why do you need that kind of money?????

so dealing out names like "bus driver" and such is pretty one sided.

Of course i am just playing devils advocate but...

I think if you did your research you would see that you get about 45% more in pay than flight attendants. AND mechanics get better hours and get to go home to their families every night, flight attendants and pilots do not. True united was mis managed but the obvious supply and demand is quite simple, for the most part material overhead stays the same so when ticket prices fall and unions demands raise wadges what else do you think happens. As far as the CEO goes, yes 53 million may be excessive but he runs the whole show and has the experience to do so.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I am not going to pile on Larry because Chad has that under control…lol

But I want to bitch about teachers and their load of bullshit. In my opinion the best teacher is one that has only been teaching for a few years – has some experience and a lot of fresh ideas from college. The idea that a teacher whom has been teaching for 30 years and is making $70,000 a year to work 9 months, when a 25 year old could do a better job for $35,000 is insane. The unions keep these teachers employed and collecting checks when there are new teachers lined up but can’t get in the door. Then the unions threaten to strike if they don’t get wage increases….wtf is that. This is reflected in the districts needing more money every year (which I see on my tax statement after scare tactics are used to vote these assessments in) Look at 196 last year – they said they didn’t have any money left for 5th grade band (a favorite scare tactic) and several other programs. Then after the assessment was voted it – an audit turned up millions of dollars in reserves. Nice job fuckers now I pay $300 a year more then I need to. There is no accountability in the public teaching system today and until there is nothing is going to change..
[brd] [brd]

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that property tax hike going to hit MN this year?

I pay twice as much property tax living in WI now than you guys do in Eagan. Where do you think all that money goes? Not where it is supposed to. I am sure they need another Golf course in Pierce county. They only have 15 now heh or maybe another 5 more bars! [Frown]

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

There is nothing wrong with building bars with public tax money. [Big Grin] [beer] [sex]

--------------------

larry
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No i meant to earse it..i didnt want to be in this.........I probably make 100% more than the flight attendants but i dont get the dreamy hours you think i do plus a majority of the mechanics work almost all of the holidays....legos my ass...you sign a piece of paper saying a plane is ready for flight and see how it feels...you cannot pull over on a cloud.....next time you fly look down and see how far it is....35000 ft is a long way up....if you fuck up a a vent all you have a compliant.....i deserve even more money...
Posts: 88 | From: North Idaho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unions don't help workplace employee chemistry much I can tell you that. Between the IUOE, IBEW, IATSE, NHLPA and whatever other alphabet soup bullshit we have going at the Xcel, no one is on the same page and everything is someone else's responsibility. Then there's the absolute worst creature imaginable, the non-union (gasp!) scabs like myself who apparently want nothing more than to take away jobs from the hard-working, under-compensated, under-appreciated union folk. There are people I work with who actually believe this and think that the union is really there to look out for their best interests. Most of the operations (including housekeeping) people are part of the operating engineers union which is for building/plant engineers. These are janitors who don't know the difference between a centrifugal chiller and a microwave oven and they think their union really gives two shits about them. Rrrrrriiiiiighhhht.

What I find very interesting is the double-standard for what is considered union work. The union stewards certainly won't bitch if I crawl down into the ice melting pit and clean out the sump pump strainer so the pit can drain. That's OK, I'm not taking away a union job doing that filthy, disgusting task but god forbid I do something cool like drive a Bobcat!

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Larry, larry, larry..... I by no means truly think that your job is trivial. But you cannot expect me to belive that pilots are "glorified bus drivers". They are put into the dangerous situations you speak of and we all now realize. And truly need to know quite a bit and have excellent reactions and skill.

Further i know that experience and such help mechanics. And yes, of all the different types of mechanics airline mechanics HAVE to get it right the first time. As i said i was playing devils advocate.

BUT, It dosnt take anywhere NEAR the education and background to fix a plane as it does to design it and and experience is truly critical when actually flying it. Mid level engineers at Boeing don't make a whole lot more than you do because if they did noone would bye their planes because how expensive it would be to R&D a plane. But they have no union, what they do have is a truly marketable traning and skill that is not very prevalent in the job market. Because of 4-8 years of expensive schooling.

When demand drops for tickets, so do prices, if United kept their prices the same everyone would fly on other carriers, no customers = no planes to fix, and no money to pay to fix them. Unions hurt everyone when they are not willing to play the capitolist game, and especially with all the rhetoric like prof booty talked about.
By not playing the game and only thinking of themselves they only end up hurting themselvse by forcing the company into problems.

In a true capitolist democracy, only your skill, work ethic, and comitment would protect your wadges, benefits, and job security. NOT SOME CRIME ORGANIZATION It gets difficult in the trades because it is easier to obtain the traning necessary to do the job so the market is saturated with qualified workers, especially with the slowdown in travel. Unions suposedly protect the workers from being treated unfairly by the owners of the buisness. But instead only creat more problems for themselvs and there employers, when they dont look at the big picture.

Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cramer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like the good 'ole days....

Keep telling people how they do not need any education to do their job and that somehow, you and your engieneering skills are so much better. You make me look like the fucking snuggle bear you conseated, arrogant jackass.

Keep proving to the crowd just how fucking stupid you really are on matters that you truly know nothing about....

Perhaps I could liken this to paying you a consulting fee for you showing me how to properly pull a wrench on Land Cruisers.

Have a great day Chad Martin.

Posts: 771 | From: Farmington | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Did i say anything about myself you fucking pussy!?

I do not design planes or cars or the like because i do not want that responsibility because of the pool of engineers there are thoes that are smarter, and have a much beter work ethic than i do.

Tell me fucker when have i told anyone that they do not need an education to do their job.... HUH!?

Obviously i know nothing about this though and never do about anything.....

Like you dont throw your opinion around on matters that you are necessarily directly involved in... [shake] [Roll Eyes] [brd]

larry
Member # 41

seems some propeller heads have a union...... http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/spea20.shtml
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUMP

This is one of my favorites LOL [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005