Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » General Discussion » Upgrade successful! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Upgrade successful!
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are now on the most current version of the software. There are many new features I will be trying out - the most notable is the quick reply and email notification.

The board will also now do content islands and push web based content out. I will start an info thread with the addresses.

Hauser maybe you can help me with the front NC page - make it display the currently topics/last 5 posts, some news and weather etc.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the readme explain or show you the code necessary to do that or do I have to figure it out for you?

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I understand how to do it (content islands), but I am not good at html coding like you. If you want to play around and see what islands it can do - go here:

http://www.noncompliance.com/cgi-bin/cp.cgi

and create one. I have set you up as admin.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounded harsh. I meant, usually they give you code to add to your website that shows the most recent posts. I am sure there is a readme we can weed through [Wink]

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you do RSS or XML feeds? [Wink]
Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

It does allow RSS on the setup. Lets try this first. Comment out the photo album links and paste this code after it.

I have to PM you this code because the forum wont let me post "script" html lol [Wink]

Load up the page and see if it displays correctly. Basically your poointing to a javascript file that updates when we add new posts to the forum.

--------------------

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Sent it to your hotmail. I cant even PM you code lol I am looking at the RSS stuff right now.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Ok I pasted it on the photos page. Do I have to put it somewhere special in the html?
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

okay I created an RSS content island also. You need to do this to make it work however

To use the RSS 1.0 format, you must point an RSS agent at this URL: http://www.noncompliance.com/ubb/ContentIslands/2/rss10.xml

The xml displays it and updates itself just like a javascript file will.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I am still trying to find all the options in the new version control panel - one being the ability to have html/ubb code in signatures. I see joes isn't working.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Does Firefox handle RSS feeds? If so how?
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

it looks like your server isnt reading that text as SCRIPT. It just needs to be wherever you want it to display on the page.

--------------------

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use RSS Reader, and it works.

I get alerts when new posts arrive...

NICE!

You can probably take me off that administrator list now, Klauso. [Wink]

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I just put into Frontpage with now idea what I was doing - I am sure the is a insert script function somewhere...
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I dont use firefox (yet) so cant tell you that. I know it does support RSS tho...

--------------------

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI

http://www.feedvalidator.org/check?url=http://www.noncompliance.com/ubb/ContentIslands/2/rss10.xml

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

The code for the JS file works fine lol

http://www.hauserboys.com/boys.html

I posted it on my site to see if it was correct and it displays great. It might be your server not reading that properly.

I dont have my editing crap at work so I had to edit my page in notepad, save it, and re FTP it up lol [Wink]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Ahhh very nice - I might need your help with the front page of NC.

Also, does anyone think we should goto recent post at the bottom now that there is the quick reply/jump to recent post feature?

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Klaus, send me the info on what you guys pay per month for hosting and what it all includes. I know you guys have been where your at for a while so we should make sure your paying for what you need (size, languages, etc.)... Did you send an email to your provider about why the script command wouldnt display?

We can do whatever you want with the homepage. You should consider moving away from frontpage and into Dreamweaver (I have the new one now). As a WYSIWYG editor, it does an awesome job. Your also able to actually read the code your putting onto your page without all of the extra crap frontpage throws in there [Wink] It also supports every language out there including javasccript, php, xml, asp, CF, etc. Whether your provider supports any of that is a different story of course!

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Got the RSS to work in Firefox - very nice. You just add it as a Live bookmark manually. Then add it to your quick bar at the top and a icon appears when there is a new post. If you click the icon a small dropdown list appears with the last 5 posts - lightbulb on for unread - click it and you are there.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

now I have to go download firefox huh? Anything it cannot do that IE does?

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Nope! It's like 3mb too. I finally gave in last weeks - been very happy. Tab browsing is the only way to go.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Which script do you mean?

I would like to move the site - but it's tough with the forum. Although I have become an expert at installing and dealing with perl/unix/nt permissions - it's probably not a big deal.

I would love to learn a non-microsoft web editor if you are offering to teach me.

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Of course I'll teach you. You will have no problems if you are able to do frontpage. That is the thing with moving the site. You dont need to dick around with permissions and such at most of the better hosts. Most of them are setup and ready to go from the start. I have my webspace on a unix box as well which means no ASP and some other things I wish I could use. Basically you can code the same thing in like 10 languages so it isnt a big deal anymore. You know basic HTML so that is really all you need.

--------------------

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

It looks like the web server isnt reading the script you pasted onto that page as a script. It is loading it like text on the page so obviously that isnt working correctly on your server.

Do you know how much bandwidth your site uses a month? How large is your site now?

--------------------

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have one prob with firefox...

I guess its not very nuke friendly... The DC clan I'm in just revamped our webpage. A lot of time me and the other admins are having problems using the admin features thru Firefox on the forum, website, and a program called vwars that we use to schedual and track scrims/matchs...
The really odd thing is it will do it one day, where I cant log into admin thru firefox but I can if I use IE... and then the next day firefox will work... Just wait, there are some things that Firefox just chokes on.. but overall I still like using it... The popup blocker has been infallible imo..

Fucking computers I tell ya..

[ 02-01-2005, 14:19: Message edited by: Jomama ]

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

PHP Nuke comes with my webspace so I will go look and see if they have any write ups on firefox compatibility. Holy crap there is a lot to do in nuke.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

We currently have 100mb server - the biggest reason to upgrade is to get more room. We are close to 80mb now.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

You should take a look here while they are having their deal.

https://secure.startlogic.com/prologic.html

Free domain transfer
2000 megs of space
60 gig /month bandwidth
unlimited emails/ftp
php nuke
free photo gallery
tons more for 7.50 a month if you buy a year.

I dropped the 90 bucks and am set for the whole year. That is a pretty damn nice price for what your getting. They are on every top 10 list for service and uptime as well [Wink]

[ 02-01-2005, 14:43: Message edited by: Hauserdaddy ]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I might just sign up for 6 months and work on moving everything over. 2 gigs would be nice.

I was able to get the script to work on the front page...

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Good job on getting that to work. If your happy with where you are, then dodnt spend the money. If you think you would use the space, it is worth moving I guess...

--------------------

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I designed a different site for my site. Please take a look and give me your opinions. There is not a lot of content yet but it is roughed out at least.

http://www.hauserboys.com/

Firefox displays the Hauserboys.com name that is in the upper left corner (in bold) different than IE does. IE is the way it is supposed to look. That is strange. I wonder what else displays different...

[ 02-02-2005, 00:15: Message edited by: Hauserdaddy ]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Very nice. I like the templates you have. Frontpage has shitty templates, none of which I like at all. I would like to redesign the NC front page and possibly move it to a new host.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

That site isnt from a template I got from Dreamweaver. Most templates within programs suck. I generally borrow tabled code that correctly tables curved images and then re-code it into a new page to my liking. Trying to get your curved images to fit correctly into a table and then fit on your site is a huge pain. I actually used homesite (part of dreamweaver) to code that because it is exactly like coldfusion studio. Homesite lets me see exact code without adding anything extra. It also gives you toolbars that contain the most commonly used html, cf, and js coding so you dont have to type it all out [Wink] You will want to learn dreamweaver which is a bit more friendly [Wink] If you really like that design, we could change the color and use it for the NC site? I also could just design a different one for myself if you want it exclusively for the nc site [Wink] I have the rounded corners in green, yellow, blue, and red and the only code besides regular html is the style sheet, java roller for the fading news, and the not yet implemented forms/password protected section (will be php/ mysql). Let me know what you want and we can make it so [Wink]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yeah sure anything you have. I like the curves and the layout of your current site.

The only thing I would like to salvage from the current site is the forums and some of the files - otherwise I would love a totally new design. I think if I moved to a Unix server (NC is hosted on a Unix server) it wouldn't be too tough to move the forum.

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

If I have time I will code something up tonight...

Are you fine with red? If you are, that makes it easy enough to create pages for what you already have on your site. This way, you can use one of those as a template for new pages you may want to create.

I can probably put the forums content island into one of the boxes as well which will work out very nicely...

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Red is fine. I will check into the host you posted and maybe sign up for 6 months etc. We could design the site and them move the forum over later. Worst case it dosen't work but the orginal forum would still be up and running. I did see an export/import function on the new version so it might be easy now.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I am sure we can figure it out and move it smoothly. There really isnt anything that should change. Everything still points to the same stuff in the new location. [Wink]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I just remember it was a pain to move a ubb board in the past. There was a entire manual on how to do it - I think it's easier now.
  This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005