Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Movie & Music Forums » Music Discussion » DirecTv gets XM Nov. 15

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DirecTv gets XM Nov. 15
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SO I've now been informed that DirecTv is dropping Music Choice for XM satellite radio. We are getting 67 channels, but I don't know what. You guys want to clue me in on the good ones so I can see if I'm going to get them?

Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Talk

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/XM_channel_lineup.pdf

Well unfortuately XM removed Liquid Metal from the line up so there isn't a super heavy metal station currently. There is a possiblity of it coming back as XM grows.

For heavy metal I listen to Squizz (816)
I don't see any talk besides High Voltage (the Opie and Anthony channel) on the list.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Brent, I took one of the guys I work with into the GWAR concert at The Quest last fri. night. He had never even heard of them! We only stayed for about 15 min. but it was long enough. You should have seen the look on his face [Smile]
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GWAR shows are great, lol. Did you get sprayed with blood?

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Scott. It looks like they've tried to match the channels that were offered and then some.

Mikey, love GWAR - hands down the best live show of any band. I'm not a fan of being sprayed with anything, so through all 3 shows I've attended, never went into the pit. Well worth the money though, and their weird mix of styles musically appeals to those outside of metal if they can stomach the lyrics. One show Brian and I went to at 1st Ave, the band got so drunk that for the last two songs they took off the majority of their costumes and just stopped playing the last song before it was finished. We laugh about that one to this day...

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brent, if your ever lookin for some new Heavy Metal music, let me know. I know of a few bands that are relatively unknown that you would probibly love.

--------------------

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, shoot me a list. I'm always willing to listen to something new. I just don't pony-up for music much these days, I usually listen to the snippets at cduniverse before I buy...
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Ok, here are a couple must have relatively new metal CD's that i know for sure you will like:

- Children of Bodom (pretty much any of their CD's, there are 5): I just saw them live at the Quest last night and my jaw was on the ground pretty much the entire time. Their singer is also the lead guitarist and is probibly the most talented guitarist in the world today (after Dimebag's death). Just trust me on this one and go buy their latest CD "Are You Dead Yet?" to start with. Here is their website for more information
Official Children Of Bodom Hate Crew Homepage

- 3 Inches of Blood: I love these guys, and saw them live for the first time at the Lab a couple weeks ago. Their lyrics are all about midevil shit and their singer has a unique voice. Latest CD is "Advance & Vanquish".

If your looking for something more true "Death Metal" style, check out these:

- Skinless: Never had a chance to see them live but my friend has and says they are good.

- Black Dahlia Murder: Also never seen them, but friend says they are awesome live.

- Cryptopsy: this is an older band you may know of already, but just in case you dont ill throw it in there.

I dont listen to the above 3 death metal bands very much on CD but i know their good as far as death metal goes.

Here are some of my personal favorite metal bands, but im not sure if they are your style. Check them out anyways though because they fucking rock.

- Lamb of God: Awesome live and on CD. They have 3 CDs, all of which are good but their first called "New American Gospel" is probibly the best.

- Shadows Fall: They are decent live but better on CD in my opinion. The latest 2 CDs called "The War Within" and "The Art of Balance" are their best.

- Hatebreed: These guys just rock, and i love the lyrics. Their music is more made to be seen live, but i still like listening to it on CD. They have 3 CDs all of which are great.

That should keep you busy for a while. [beer]

[ 11-17-2005, 11:31: Message edited by: Ender ]

--------------------

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Added some more.

--------------------

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

And let me know which of these bands you like because based on that i can probibly suggest some others that have a similar style.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Brent and Luke I just noticed on XM Online (which I get free with my subscription) they have added back XM Liquid metal... Check it out and tell me what you think of that channel. All you need is Windows Media Player 10 - there is a XM online button in the top corner. Goto the private forum for my user name and password. I don't listen online so feel free to use it as much as you like.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doo-et.... the online is pretty slick, and 99% of the time I have no bandwidth issue with it running in the background
Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Ok, i already know this channel is good. As soon as i turned it on the song that was playing was "Swordmaster" by 3 Inches of Blood from their latest album "Advance and Vanquish". Its one of my favorite bands and one that i listed below for Brent to check out.

I was pretty suprized. [Cool]

--------------------

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give it a try at home this weekend.
I'm disappointed with the replacement offerings of XM versus Music Choice. This SQUIZZ that was to replace my Death Metal channel isn't even close to what I had. The 80's metal channel is OK, but I still have all my 80's CDs, so I don't need that channel.
I'll try your Liquid Metal and see if it's better. Then of course I'll have to complain to DirecTv and try to get it added.
Thanks Scott.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yeah, that channel is pretty hardcore. It had a lot of fans early on but XM removed it from the main line up for some reason. I bet it comes back soon.

Make sure to also check out O&A Luke on 202.

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

CC Ender: I picked up the new Children of Bodom and I love it! Thanks for the heads up.
Now that I have been listening to it for a while, I realize they sound a lot like In Flames. If you haven't heard them, give 'em a shot as they should be right up your alley!
In Flames I have:
* Whoracle (Best of the three)
* Colony
* The Jester Race

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Yes, i know In Flames. I just wasnt sure you did or if you liked them. They have been around for a while for sure. My favorite CD of theres is a newer one called "Reroute to Remain," but i also have "Jester's Race" and like it alot.

Bodom and In Flames have very similar styles, but the guitarist of Bodom has more talent than all of In Flames put toghether. Bodom rocks.

--------------------

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Cremator, you might want to pick up the new In Flames record called "Come Clarity". Its fucking AWESOME! Its probibly my favorite record they have ever made.... my previous favorite was "Jester's Race" and IMO this blows that away. Its a definate must own if you like them.

However, dont buy their second newest record "Soundtrack to Your Escape". Its junk. Kinda funny.... they went from their worst record they have ever made to their best. [Razz] [Cool]

--------------------

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Thanks, but I had already purchased the mediocrity that is "Soundtrack..."
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the mood to buy music...

Still listening to CoB.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Ok, Brent XM Liquid Metal is back and it's on Direct TV starting today. Check it out, should be more to your liking.
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Yeah, thanks.
I just saw that message pop-up yesterday and was going to check it out. I like to use those stations when I work on homework...

Brent

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Channel 841, Liquid Metal
Much better than all the other offerings, but I still like the old Music Choice metal channel better. I am a little surprised at how often they do not have the Artist, Title and CD info for the music they play. Music Choice was also a website where you could buy most of what they played so i never heard a song that didn't have the info for it.
I guess the bottom line is I'll take what I can get.

Brent

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005