Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » Fantasy Football » Fantasy Football (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fantasy Football
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it seems really early to talk about it but it's not!

Brad, are you gonna do the league again this year?

Also, this is a good place to post suggestions on scoring and operation of the league. Let's not turn it into bitching though and try to keep it positive.

The next few weeks would be a good time to schedule the draft too because time flys in the summer and schedules can be tough!

Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in again.

I liked the scoring last year [Wink]

I'm actually the commissioner for a different league this year, and I'm scheduling our draft the weekend of September 3rd.

Other than that, I'm open for anything.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am definetly in.

Laborday weekend is bad for me. But I would think late aug would be best. Too early and we will end up with realy bad drafts due to not having most or all of the preseason over with yet. Injuries, busts, etc.

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flamingoamyjo
Posting God
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flamingoamyjo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chad and Eric, you're going DOWN this year!!! [fight]
Posts: 211 | From: Shakopee, MN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rube Riot
Rookie
Member # 84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rube Riot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in again this year!

...any thoughts about turning this into a keeper league? We have all the same people back each year, so it'd be fun!

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we were to do keeper we would have to start that this year into next. We couldn't do it from last year it just doesnt work unless you are aware of it during the draft.

Any thoughts on doing an auction? I know I tried to sell it to you last year and it didn't take.

Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rube Riot
Rookie
Member # 84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rube Riot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to be able to keep some of my guys from last years roster, but that wouldn't be fair...we would need to go into this year knowing it was going to be a keeper league next year, that way we could change our draft stategy.

...but I'd rather not do it auction style...sorry Mikey.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in, but looks like 7/20, 7/27 are booked up. two weeks notice would be the best for me as to a draft day.
Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An auction draft is actually more fun than the rest of the entire fantasy football season, unless you happen to win the super bowl. I still laugh with my ex-FFers about several things that happened at our auctions.
Don't be scared, it's not as hard as you think it is...

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Finally some support on this! You tell them Brent! Don't be afraid, it's really fun!
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never cared which way we do it...
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[argue]

I like it the non-auction way.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

You would!

Everything fell into your lap last year!! [Wink] [Wink] [Razz] [Razz] [beer]

Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

If this doesn't sell it to you guys I'll quit pushing it. You can do it just like poker. Instead of ficticious cash you can give everyone 100$ worth of poker chips. You use your chips to bid on players like making a bet. C'mon I can see it already- Chad says, "I'm all in on Jake Plummer!" To me, it just sounds like with our group it would be perfect.
Rube Riot
Rookie
Member # 84

The way we do it right now seems a lot more like the way it is really done in the NFL, a draft where the teams take turns picking available players...and it would be even more acurate if we turned it into a keeper league because then we would have to think a lot more about the guys we draft, and we'd be able to do trades (for players or pick...even in the off-season).

What are the benefits to doing the draft auction style? I'll be open minded...

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Whatever you guys want to do.

I just see those who've done it being a little better than those of us who've never done it.

Unfair advantage. There'd be no way for everything to "fall into my lap" like it did last year (apparently) [lol]

--------------------
 -

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeper league is scary to me - because if you make a mistake or a player turns out to be super good you are set/screwed for years to come.

Auction is ok - but I prefer the serpenteen.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good variation on a keeper league is to limit the players kept. 1 - 3 seems to be good and you will still have meaningful drafts every year. If you weaken the appeal of the draft (in my opinion) you steal 50% of the fun of Fantasy Football.
Having done an auction draft is not an advantage. Only those who are severely retarded at simple math are disadvantaged, otherwise it's still all about player knowledge and luck (think injuries).
You want Priest Holmes? You're going to pay big-time for him, and the high to high-middle players will be out of your reach for some time. Also no one can afford to stack their team with 2-3 of the top RBs, QBs, etc. Again, injuries will still kill you. The only "new" strategy that comes into play with an auction is personal preference knowledge, i.e. if Mikey knows Boon just LOVES Randy Moss, he can inflate his value when his name comes up knowing Boon will pay top-dollar for him. Mikey may not even want him, but he can exploit Boon's desire and possibly weaken his team by making him pay too much for Moss. Of course if Boon realizes this, he can turn the tables on Mikey and stick him with an expensive player he may not want or need by ceasing to bid on Moss. It's this sort of thing that makes the auction a total blast. If you can afford it, you need not ever be "scooped" again when your "guy" gets picked just ahead of you.
Give it a try this year and I guarantee you'll never go back...

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rube Riot
Rookie
Member # 84

I don't think I'd want to do a keeper league where you keep more than 3 players. 3 is a great number because the draft stay important, but so do the player you keep.

Combining a keeper league format, with our current draft format would be great because then next year you'd be able to draft in the order the teams finished this year. So the worst team would get the first overall pick (or could choose to trade it away for a player someone else has on their roster).

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cremator:
Only those who are severely retarded at simple math are disadvantaged...

Okay, so Hauser will have problems... [lol] [lol] [lol]

quote:
Originally posted by Cremator:
...if Mikey knows Boon just LOVES Randy Moss...

Fuck Randy Moss. [brd]

Anyway, auction sounds interesting, but I'd still prefer the standard serpentine. But I'm doing the serpentine in my other league, so if you want to do auction, I'm game. [beer]

--------------------
 -

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am horrible at math....

"cmon baby, lets go upstairs and do some math...
lets add my bed, subtract our clothes, divide your legs and multiply!!!"

lol

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 11 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ranks up there with Fo' Drizzle. [shake]

--------------------
 -

Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is kinda off beat. My taken my new job adventure as a tow truck driver and yesterday morning while on call I get called in early to go tow this guy. His trucks dead at his home and needs me to tow him into some where to get it serviced. I was pissed because it was 7:15 saturday morning and I didn't wanna move yet, well I get into my truck and give my dispatch the go ahead to give me all the info I needed for my call. She starts out with the customer's address, than name she spells out Corey than Chavous, I'm like no way can't be that corey. So she follows with an out of state phone number, Now I'm thinkin wtf could it be? than she give's me the vehicals description 98 lincoln Navigator, I"m like this could be intresting, so I run inside and look up on vikings website his bio just so I got a clear picture of him in my head. I get out on my way to this address in Eden Praire I get there and no one is near the car and I get ahold of my dispatch and she tells me he'll be out in a minute she just called him I'm like ok, the garage opens and out he walks. I'm a little star struck at this point and don't wanna do anything dumb so I greet him like I do all customer's with me shaking his hand and sayin Good mornin I'm Joel with ASAP towing. he's all polite and starts conversations with me about towing and his father used to be a mechanic and what not.

So he watches and asks questions as I hook up his car, tells me hang on let me lock up my place and I'll ride with you over to the place that was gonna fix it. I'm all ok, I've been shooting the shit with this dude for 20 min he's laid back just your guy next door but he's a Pro-Bowler. We talked about how I used to play highschool football and how I've never been to a pro game, he say's right away, I'm gonna make that happen for ya, I'm like what dude? he's like I'll get you some comp tick's to a game, what's your name and phone number, so I give him my details. I'm like are you serious askin him a few time's through out this adventure, he's like, think about what game from the schedual would you like to come to, I'll even try to get you some pre season's. by this point I'm blown away thinkin this is gotta be some bullshit, but I watched him right it all down in his planner. No pro football player is just gonna give some tow truck driver some ticks and be this kind, so by now we get to the service place I walk in to ask the guys where they want me to drop off his vehical, they tell me and I go and start droppin it off. he come's back around the corner after a few and is like when your done unhooking my car you hungry? its like 8:30 by this time I'm I don't know if I got another call waiting for me or not, he's like fine find out while I'm in Mc donalds a block away so I hand him his bill and he writes a check, than hands me 40 cash, I'm like are you sure? same as I ask anyone that tips, he's like take it and remember that I'll get you some tickets too I got your number.

So I call dispatch and of course I have another call waiting, so I had to run off but before I did so he came out of mc Donalds and hands me a mc griddle, and tells me to take his number but Don't give it out, I'm again floored he's like think about what game you wanna see this season and call me when you figure it out, I'm like man you do realize I'm gonna be a little hisitent to call someone like you, he's like no worries man just keep it for yourself and everything well be fine give me a call. I gotta catch a plane at 1 and am gonna make some calls while they're fixin my car but call me for sure man, shook my hand and walked off to star bucks with his mc donalds bag in hand.

Now that I wrote a book that only has todo with football and not the topic at hand I'll bow out.

Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Sweet!

Nice brush with fame. See if he can get us 50 yard line tickets for the October 23rd game against the Packers! I would [notworthy] you.

--------------------
 -

Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well he said the tickets are the one's the players get for family and what not, so they'll be pretty good. I was actrally thinking about asking to see if he could get me ticks for at green bay. but I'm thinkin I'm gonna ask for green bay tickets [beer]
Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

That's a great story Matress. Brad, have you been thinking about picking a date soon? Anything is fine with me as long as I have lots of prior notice.
Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crack_Dealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty open...will probably have to be a Friday night or Sunday for me though. People give suggestions, please.

--------------------
"Rarely has it been so clear how much we, the ordinary people of this country, are better than our rulers. I hope that lesson is not lost on anyone, of any political persuasion."

Posts: 520 | From: Shakopee, MN USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any date yet? the 20th and 28th are not good for me? some of us work nights bitches!
Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crack_Dealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When does exhibition games start? Lets do it around that time.

--------------------
"Rarely has it been so clear how much we, the ordinary people of this country, are better than our rulers. I hope that lesson is not lost on anyone, of any political persuasion."

Posts: 520 | From: Shakopee, MN USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

First preseason game is August 12th, last preseason game is September 2nd.

Season opener for the Vikes is on September 11th.

--------------------
 -

Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

We really need to pick a date soon. Sats are good for me.
Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

I made some changes/improvements to the roster and scoring. Give comments, please.

Here goes:

Roster from 15 to 16

Starting Line-up from 8 to 9

Added a flex-position (an additional RB or WR or TE)

Must start 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1K 1DEF 1FLEX (RB or WR or TE)

Put MIN/MAX LIMITS on roster spots

You can have: 2-5QB 4-7RB 4-7WR 1-4TE 1-4K 1-4DEF

This will prevent hording.

Scoring:

Changed from 1pt for every 25yds rushing/receiving to every 10yds rushing.

Changed from 1 bonus pt for every 10yds rushing/receiving on a TD to every 15yds.

Changed from 1pt for every 50yds passing to every 25yds passing.

Changed from 1 bonus pt for every 10 yds passing on a TD to every 15yds.

Changed from -2 for a thrown INT to -1.

Got rid of yardage bonuses on TD returns for INT's, Fumbles, Kick-offs for DEF/ST.

Changed from -1 to -2 for Fumble Recovery to match the -2 for INT Recovery.

Changed from 5 to 6pts for a shutout.

Changed from 3 bonus pts for allowing 1-6 pts to 1-9 pts. Eliminated the 1 bonus pt for allowing 7-9 pts.

Added -3pts for allowing 27pts or more.

Changed from -1pt for missing a 31-39yd FG to 31-45yd FG.

Changed bonus pts for FG's as follows:
NEW
46-50yds = 1
51-55yds = 2
56-60yds = 3
61-65yds = 4

OLD
31-40yds = 1
41-50yds = 2
51-60yds = 3
61-70yds = 4

[ 08-07-2005, 20:30: Message edited by: Crack_Dealer ]

--------------------

Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

quote:
Originally posted by Mikey:
We really need to pick a date soon. Sats are good for me.

The only nights I can't do are Saturdays and Wednesdays. Any other time works. Amy has weddings every Saturday also.

How about a Friday night or Sunday Day?

--------------------

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

So do you get full points for the flex position or is it only if the flex position outscores one of your starters?

Sundays work for me.

--------------------
 -

Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Flex position is an added starter...so yes you get full points.

--------------------

Rube Riot
Rookie
Member # 84

I like most of the rule changes! Adding a flex position is great, and so is adding another roster spot.

My only question is about the position limits. I think if someone wants to risk the depth of their other positions by hording one specific position, then let them. Why does there need to be a rule to keep people from doing that?

Did we ever decide if this was going to be a traditional draft, or an auction style draft? My vote is still for a traditional draft.

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

I agree...no auction for me. [Wink]

--------------------
 -

Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Traditional Draft.

The MAX/MIN limits adds to roster management and to prevent hording. You can still have 7 RB's or 7 WR's or 5 QB's or whatever position you want to hold on to. BUT, you also have to keep a minimum number of players at a certain position also. You HAVE 2 have atleast 4 RB's 4 WR'S and 2 QB's at all times. So if you are hording a position you will HAVE to drop one of them when you need to fill your bye week K, DEF/ST or TE.

The position limits is the same reason other leagues use an auction. In an auction you could not afford to horde top players. With the limits it will make it more difficult to stash top players away that you are not going to play, just so some other team can't use them.

[ 08-08-2005, 08:22: Message edited by: Crack_Dealer ]

--------------------

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

But we haven't had a problem with hoarding players.

Or have we and I just didn't notice?

--------------------
 -

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Ask rube and his fleet of running backs.
  This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005