Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Battlefield Vietnam (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Battlefield Vietnam
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comes out this spring looks cool..

-
 -

FAQ

Q: Are there plans to make parts of Battlefield Vietnam more like jungle warfare?
A: Absolutely, the game would not be complete without sections of jungle. That said, every level in the game will benefit from the work we’ve done to achieve jungles. Everywhere you look there is lush vegetation and trees. It’s quite beautiful.

Q: How many vehicles will be present in the game?
A: There are over 20 different vehicles in the game.

Q: What types of weapons and weapon emplacements will be used in Battlefield Vietnam?
A: Battlefield Vietnam is a more dynamic game than Battlefield 1942, so there are fewer static weapon emplacements. We kept everything as mobile as possible. As far as weapons are concerned, there are between 30 and 40 different weapons for the player to try out and each one has its own uniqueness and feel.

Q: What kinds of multiplayer modes will be used in the game?
A: Conquest mode, Expanded Conquest mode and Custom Combat mode.
Conquest Mode - This is the same as what's in Battlefield 1942.
Expanded Conquest Mode - We expanded the conquest idea by implementing a mode called evolution. This is where a map begins as it would normally, but at the end of the battle the map’s alternate loads up. The scores, the team, and the player from the previous map are added to the new map and play resumes. Basically a team must ensure a close battle in one map if they hope to win the second. If you get blown away in the first map you'll have a hard hill to climb in order to win the second.
Custom Combat - In this mode the server can set what armies will fight in the selected map, what vehicles will appear and what weapons will be included or excluded from battle. This means that a server can run all maps with the US Army fighting the US Special Forces and they can all be limited to only using their assault rifles if the server wishes it. This is a great option for clans who want to ensure that they have the same setup on each map.
Q: Will there be any improvements made to the AI in the single player portion of the game?
A: Yes. We’ve simplified the radio command system so the bots will listen to your instructions. You can command them to follow you or defend a position, etc. This allows the player to be more in control of the game. It also makes the co-op games more interesting for two players as each can really command their army from the ground level.

Q: What other gameplay additions and improvements from Battlefield 1942 will be found in Battlefield Vietnam?
A: There is a timer for the flag change so the player knows how long it will take. Also, the more teammates you have at the flag the faster it can be taken. The team is immediately informed if a flag is threatened with capture so they can react to it or at the very least be aware of the enemy. We’ve also implemented a 3D map function so the player can more easily identify where control points are or even locate teammates faster.

Q: Are there any graphical improvements to Battlefield Vietnam?
A: Yes. We completely rewrote the rendering engine to be able to support all the features that are expected in modern games.

Q: What is the current status of the game's progress and when will it be released?
A: We are currently entering our Alpha stage and all the content is complete and we are polishing the game and trying to find areas where we can improve it. Unless a catastrophe occurs we should be right on target for our spring release.

Q: Are there plans being made for Battlefield Vietnam expansion packs?
A: Not at the moment, but that doesn't mean no.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can preorder this now from a few stores, includes free shipping (xcept for me [Mad] ) and a additional music disk for $39.99.

Mine is ordered, prolly won't get it until about the 20th given I selected the cheapy, slow shipping.

Supposed to be release on the 15th.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Buy shows 3/24 but they are often wrong.....
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're slacking. BF Vietnam website has a countdown running on it. It's at 6-days.... etc and counting.
http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/vietnam/us/home.jsp

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Well technically it's out. EBgames.com shows it shipping. Locally Best Buy and CompUSA are still showing it as pre-order. CompUSA shows a estimated release date as tomorrow. I will swing by BB at lunch see if they have any.

[gun1]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Joe let me know when you get your copy. I just picked mine up at EBgames for $39.

Looks to be very similar to 1942 (go figure). The hardware requirements are higher (1gig with GF3 or higher), I guess the graphics are better. I flipped through the manual at lunch - noteable differences/improvements from 1942:

3D overhead maps

MP3 capability - make a folder inside the game directory and you can load MP3 using an ingame key/menu. I guess there are preloaded MP3 (rock songs) you can play in battle and everyone in your tank etc will hear the same song.

Can hover over tanks etc and attach a cable to move them into battle.

The engineer has a wrench to fix and a blow torch to destroy tanks etc.

Jomama
Member # 56

Yeah, its got some good/bad reviews. Some folks feel its still closer to a MOD then a New Game, and are a bit unhappy with EA. Things that are "new" are stuff thats mostly been around in DC since it started. I think DC has already said they have a mod in the works for this, which could end up being more popular tha BF:V itself. I've read complaints about nerfing the Helo's, supposed to be easier to fly, but less subject to the real physics of how a helo fly's. I would guess I get it by the end of the week, but I'm gonna be real busy this weekend (Race/Course Manager at Tele-Fest at one of our Ski areas)

Crack Smoking Monkeys already has a BF:V server running, so I'll be there once in hand.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I thought the same thing when I first saw it - thought it should be a mod. But for $39 it's priced pretty much the same as a 1942 mod (secret weapons and road to Rome are $40). It is a three cd set so maybe there is a big single player part?
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Game is pretty cool. Different than 1942 in some ways but very much the same in alot of ways. They incorporated some things from RTCW:Enemy Territory - such as once you pick your class you get to pick a weapons set. So a soilder can have either a M16 with scope or M16 with Rocket launcher etc. Tanks are ok and the Heli is easier to fly than in DC. But I think the controls are the same just not as touchy - so it's not as bad as you think Joe.

Maps I played are darker and there is more close combat compared to 1942. There is now a graph telling you how long you need to stay near a command point to change it, which helps. The MP3 music stuff is a bit wierd and erie. If you jump in a tank and hit "0" a list of songs comes up. These are all the vietnam songs from all the movies, including my favorite "Flight of the Valkries" from Apocolyse Now (because it scares the shit out of the gooks). If you pick a song it plays inside the tank and anyone near can also hear it. So if you are on foot you will hear a bunch of tanks driving around with music coming out of them.......strange.

Jomama
Member # 56

Did you find servers with good ping. CSM took theirs down, there is a server bug with a patch schedualed by next week.

Did you notice the ping bug? Guess right now you cant sort the servers by ping.

Did you try long-lining anything below the choppers??? I've only read one review, were the writer said its kinda hard, cause you can never see what your trying to hook up to that good, and the sound for hooking & unhooking is exactly the same.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yes, the first thing I noticed is that servers do not sort by ping. I did get on a couple servers with <40 ping. My FPS is quite low however and I have read that this is common. So I may need to set my graphics to medium until it's fixed.

I just flew a chopper around for a couple minutes and was eventully shot down - didn't try to pick anything up.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Joe - Get your copy yet?

I am still addicted to this game. The music is starting to get annoying. I can see in a couple weeks I will check the box that says "disable in-game music". You can actually hear any vehicle playing music from quite far away, even enemies. Not really a great idea to turn on loud music while trying to sneak mobile artilery into an enemy base.

Weapons are awesome. There are four classes - soilder, engineer, heavy weapons, sniper. The heavy weapons guy can choose a gernade launcher or LAW rocket launcher. In addition to that weapon he also carries a 50 round SAW machine gun.

One thing I figured out last night - if you can get close enough to an enemy tank, you can climb up on top and drop a gernade into the top......BOOM

Jomama
Member # 56

I should get it today..
I'm never gonna pre-order again, I could of bought it in town by now, I think Fred Meyer even had it on sale already.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is Fred Meyer??

Condition Zero is out tomorrow.... I was going to preorder (since it is already on everyones computer through Steam), but will probably pick it up Wednesday when it hits stores.

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Who is Fred Meyer??

Western Chain, WallyWorlds more expensive competitor.
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, just awsome I think. I've only played a few maps, but holy shit, its just huge most the time, and the landscapes just look great. Overall I think the critical reviews are a bit overstated. Mine ran just fine off the bat, no prob with drivers, ect. I think the close combat is much better than 42/dc, and the helo's and planes are a bit diff but not too bad.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree that the close combat is much improved over 1942. Seemed like it was an after-thought in 1942 but in BFV it's a big part of the game. I like that most classes have the binoculars so you can spot for yourself. Weapons are more of a focus also - no more spray and prey with whatever gun you have.....
Jomama
Member # 56

Man I cant get over how fun this game is.

M60 just rocks, I love that the Anti-Armor/Anti-Air (NVA only [shake] guys arn't just stuck with a pistol, you get a M60 and a LAW or RPG. The NVA engineer has got a pretty good machine gun compared to the M14 for the US Eng. Bouncing Betties and timed dynamite, awsome level of anti-armor for troops thruout the game. I think its a little unfair that the NVA have a heat seaking shoulder fired missle and the U.S. doesn't have anything to shoot at NVA air.

Helo's need more power, that's their biggest problem, if you strafe low and fast your gonna clip trees/auger in... helo's don't pull up as fast, and changing directions takes A LOT more time than DC. Only flew the planes once or twice, not as aerodynamically/acrobat capable as the DC planes given first impression... Mig 17 handles a bit wierd I think, doesn't turn if going slow. The physics don't seem "off" tho, I think it handles like I imagine a plane with swept back wings like the Mig17 would handle.
F4 handles fine, doesn't turn very fast, may be an issue trying to use this in dogfights vs the Mig21. Napalm is just awsome.... Sweet dropping all your load and using the front-looking-rear camera to see everything and everybody getting blown out your bomb area. Weapon sounds seem so much better than DC, very unique sounding fire from each weapon. Explosions are the best I've seen yet.

Excellent F$%*ING GAME... GO BUY IT!!!!

[beer]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with your take on the air. I find all the planes/helis to be "sluggish". I have crashed many times due to not being able to "pull-up" in time. However, I am glad that the game isn't dominated with air strikes like DC and 1942 can be at times (example a couple good zero pilots can hold several command points on wake with no problem)

I play 70% of the time with M60/LAW. I find mobile artillery and spot for myself. Very effective if done correctly. The other 30% I play as sniper with the single shot bolt action rifle. I go find a hill overlooking a control point and snipe the suckers that stop moving.

Took awhile for me to find any anti-air weapons. Finally found the US tank-AA gun. Wonder why they don't have base AA guns like DC/42?

Jomama
Member # 56

In just a breif review of the BFV forums..... The most bitched about thing so far seems to be everyone saying the M60 is just TOO GOOD, and its not fair to have that Uber-gun AND a LAW.
I understand their point. It does shoot amazingly well from a standing or running position, and maintains high accuracy (not likely with the real gun) and it doesn't slow you down to have the M60 vs the M16. Plus having heavy Machine Gun/LAW combo, while fun/cool as hell, is kinda a rambo type thing, and not very realistic. Doesn't particularly inspire team play, as your a one-man show.

It'll be nerfed I bet, and the infintry kits will be shaken up in the future.

It doesn't seem like EA has a good Alpha/Beta team working for them based on the small details they seem to have missed.

Like WTF isn't the Friends/Favorites function on the Multiplayer Server Page?

I do have some weird sounding "echo's" and "boinging-reverb-feedback" type sounds, especially when driving vehicles. It needed to install the DirectX9 drivers to play the game, but I don't know that my setup really supported DirectX9.

I toned down sound/Video settings tho and it was still better graphics than BF42/DC by far. Much smoother looking.

Jomama
Member # 56

Well this is just stupid.

Dear all,

As I am sure many of you are aware, there have been a number of issues with the DICE/EA full release version of Battlefield:Vietnam.

We are currently undertaking final testing on a patch for the product, which will be released this Friday (3-26), and will include the following fixes that have been suggested by the community :

* Implementation of a GUI voting system similar to that included in the 1.6 patch for Battlefield:1942

* The M60 (US) machine gun will only be useable while the player is prone.

* It has been noted that "vehicle camping" is a problem within the online community for Battlefield:Vietnam. Therefore, in our first patch for the product, players inactive in movement for longer than 15 seconds, within a vehicle spawn radius, will suffer the same health penalty as if leaving the combat zone.

* Fixes to the ATI graphics cards that have suffered problems. Similar graphical fixes shall be given to users of MX/Ti range NVidia graphics cards. Hopefully this will remove the various problems users of these cards have had while playing the product.

* It has become apparent that several of the sound (gunfire/explosions) effects are not to many people's likings. Work has been done on upgrading these sounds and, upon the release of the v1.1 patch, the in game sounds shall be more authentic than at present.

A number of other minor fixes will also be implemented, and we will be releasing another patch in the not too distant future should you inspire us with your ideas.

Keep them coming please, and we can make this game the top game of 2004.

Yours kindly,
BFVmoderator
AKA EAJim

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Sounds like a joke to me? Was it an official post?
Jomama
Member # 56

No joke, official post as far as I can tell.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Well in that case....

* The M60 (US) machine gun will only be useable while the player is prone.

This should be while prone or crouching.

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd most of that sounds just retarded.

Why cant they just make a movement speed penalty and make it inacurate as hell if running and shooting with it. Make it alot more acurate when prone. A bit les acurate when crouching or standing (as if shooting from the hip), and very inacurate when moving and fireing. (so that it is just random spray). [gun1]

And what the hell is with that vehicle spawn point rule. [shake] Thats why we play these games, to fly and drive shit.

I was going to buy this game today but I will wait to see what this first patch does for the game. I am not interested in getting posion damage for waiting for a vehicle. [shake]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

I agree Chad, its kinda a simpletons way to fix what may be a "issue" but I don't think its really a problem (talking Vehicle Camping). But it says its gonna only affect people who stand still for 15 secs...... Even if I'm waiting for a vehicle, I don't stand still much, too easy to snipe/sneak up on if your not watching your 6 constantly. So I don't think this will do anything to anyone other than those who leave their guy standing in the kill zone and go to the bathroom....
Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Chadwick:

I was going to buy this game today but I will wait to see what this first patch does for the game. I am not interested in getting posion damage for waiting for a vehicle. [shake]

Although it does sound gay, I'd get it if I were you, I think you'll enjoy it a lot. The Pro's of this game still drasticly outweigh the few cons, and it will only get better (granted, they arn't immune to having crappy patches) but this game will do well IMNSHO.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yeah, Chad go get the game for christ sake.

Remember that the M60 is kind of like a "bonus" for the rocket soldier. In 1942 you pick the rocket soldier and you have the Stinger and a pistol. In BFV you pick the rocket guy and you get a LAW (rocket launcher) or Gernade Launder AND the M60 AND a pistol. So it's still a good deal - lets not get spoiled [Smile]

The regular soldier has some pretty sweet choices also. The M16 (with or without scope or with gernade launcher over-under) AND pistol AND med-pack AND binoculars.

Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit talking about this fucking game and get outside!! It's 65 degrees today!!

[beer]

Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point anyone up for a beer at applebee's tonight?

MIKEY GET OUT INTO THE GARAGE AND GET THAT BLACK TRUCK RUNNING FOR THE CABIN TRIP THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Hit me on Nextel I will be picking up Keisha poop [Frown]
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

When is that damn dog going to croak.

[knife]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, any word on the patch you talked about? I played all weekend expecting to not be able to connect...but had no problem.

That heat seeking missle is pretty sweet but the trade off is only a pistol so I rarely pick that when playing VC. I think it's fair tho with all the air the US has.

Jomama
Member # 56

No patch yet. I think the NVA's heavy Machine gun is as good as the 60 so I wish they'd leave it for now.

I've been the engineer guy a lot as well and planted the tunnel spawn.
I love running around being sneaky in the jungle

Helo's are still wierd, pretty unresponsive, cept the cobra... [Eek!] that thing is devastating, particularly co-pilot AimableGuns/Heatseaking missle. I've flown a bit and kinda like it, I can own ya w/the migs. Corsair sucks and the F4 is only OK. Cant manuver enough to dog fight, but if you can get behind them, the heatseakers do the work.

I think the shoulder fired heatseakers need a bit more bite.

TIP* Wait to shoot the shoulder heatseakers until the aircraft is past you and moving away or at least hovering broadside. If a helo/plane is facing you the rockets seem to miss trying to get around to the tailpipe of the unit.

Jomama
Member # 56

The Acegain Liveupdate software that came w/game is now online, but its telling me to check back for updates shortly.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Are you "sick" today Joe? Seems strange you are checking for updates at like 10am your time [Smile]

Yeah, sneaking around is the best part of this game. Unlike BF and DC the jungle makes it easier to hide in the open. I love finding some trees above a capture point and sniping the guys that show up. The mobile AA gun is also fun to drive into a nook of trees and show the planes as they come over.

I found the same problem with the shoulder fired heat seekers. If a chopper is facing you the missles can't get around behind so it's worthless to even fire. They do have good range though - if I see a chopper in the distance shoot I can usually hit it if it's hovering.

[ 03-29-2004, 15:58: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Are you "sick" today Joe?

Sewards Day. Don't you get that off??? [Razz]

State Holiday. Seward was the Secretary of Interior under President McKinley and really was the key to purchasing Alaska from the Russians.

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

I got this game over the weekend but didnt get to play it until yesterday.

Good game overall. Quite fun actually. The music gives it a great "authentic" feal.

The combat is great and i like the idea of destroying towers to prevent the powerful flying stuff from respawning.

We need to hookup and play this some.

The bugs are anoying right now but i think they will fix em up.

The new nvidia drivers 56.64 are total garbage though.
Bad noise pixilation graphics problems when runing 3d games (not just BFV). Maybe a dirrect 3d problem? I updated them and promtly all my 3d games had the blocky pixelatino problem.

Anyone else have this problem with the new drivers? Maybe i had a setting screwed up. I rolled back the drivers and that seemed to fix it.

[ 03-30-2004, 11:24: Message edited by: Chadwick ]

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Chadwick:

The combat is great and i like the idea of destroying towers to prevent the powerful flying stuff from respawning.

Hey did you figure out how to do this? I was trying yesterday on one map but was unsuccessfull. I put TNT in the top of the tower, and in the bottom and it didnt do anything. The only other option was to somehow get at the dish on top of the tower. Chute on top??? Bomb it?? I tried strafing it, I know I hit it but didn't destroy it.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I haven't had problems with the newest drivers. I didn't notice any huge increase it fps or anything. I do get "pauses" when I first enter games in BFV. No idea why but sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't.

I can't find a guide for you Chad - but check out:
sharkyextreme.com and tomshardware.com

The quick and dirty is - it's always a trade off of speed for quality. If you turn anti-aliasing (AA) off you get faster fps but more jaggy edges.

Just go into BFV turn on the FPS display and play with the video settings - if you can't notice and edge tearing or jaggy lines you are probably ok.

This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005