Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Battlefield 2 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Battlefield 2
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Battlefield 2 to storm PCs in spring 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DICE reveals that the "next generation" of the Battlefield PC franchise will feature modern weapons and vehicles.

Today, in a Swedish-language press release, Digital Illusions CE (aka DICE) announced the successor to Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam. Currently carrying the working title of Battlefield 2, the PC shooter will be published by Electronic Arts under an agreement signed last year.

"Battlefield 2 builds on a new technical platform which will take us into the next generation of PC games," said DICE CEO Patrick Söderlund. Söderlund also said players of the game would notice a "marked improvement" in graphics and gameplay.

Battlefield 2 will be a different product from , the PlayStation 2 title announced last week. However, both games will feature the same three superpowers--China, the United States, and the newly formed Middle Eastern Coalition. Each power will have its own set of modern weapons and vehicles. The American arsenal will include the M4 assault rifle with the M203 grenade launcher, the Abrams tank, the Apache helicopter, and the Humvee.

According to DICE, Battlefield 2 will be released in spring 2005
-- By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theres 2 screen shots w/this article on the BF:V website
http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/vietnam/us/editorial.jsp?src=bf2

EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD 2 FOR THE PC

Award-winning Battlefield Franchise Sequel Invades the Modern Battlefield

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., April 20, 2004 – Move out soldier! Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Digital Illusions today announced that development is underway on the sequel to the award-winning Battlefield 1942™ PC game. Battlefield 2™, scheduled for release in spring 2005, moves the franchise forward in time to invade the high tech frontlines of modern warfare. Powered by an all new game engine, Battlefield 2 brings the intensity and excitement of its predecessors, Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam™, into the modern era with the latest, most technologically advanced vehicles and weapons systems available to man.

In Battlefield 2, players will choose to fight for one of three military superpowers: the United States, China, or the newly formed Middle East Coalition. Armed with the latest modern weaponry, players can take control of any of the game’s 30+ vehicles to engage in major conflicts with over 100 players in some of the largest online battles on the PC.

Battlefield 2 features immense, richly detailed, destructible environments, from city streets to remote forests, in some of the most notorious hot spots around the world. Each map in Battlefield 2 adjusts in scale to support the number of players in the world, providing the ideal vehicle-to-player ratio and an optimized game play experience. Enhanced team play features allow players to enter the action on the front lines as part of a formal squad, or work behind the scenes in Commander Mode to direct the strategic assaults of their teammates. With in-game success, players increase their rank from recruit all the way to General and unlock awards, including new weapons, vehicle decals, medals, and more.

Additionally, Battlefield 2 showcases an all-new game engine and physics system to bring the modern battlefield to life like never before. The new material penetration feature measures weapons’ ability to fire through barriers based on their composition and players will need to know the difference between concealment and cover in order to survive.

Battlefield 2 is being developed by the original Battlefield 1942 Sweden based developer, Digital Illusions. Electronic Arts will publish and distribute the game for the PC under the EA GAMES™ brand worldwide.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Supposidly BF2 free demo will be released tonight for "paid support sites" like gamespy or fileplanet, and released tomorrow for all.

Game is supposed to be released for retail on June 20th or 21st.

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...you're first post was 14 months ago!

Is it safe to say you'll be purchasing this one? [lol]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSaint:

Is it safe to say you'll be purchasing this one? [lol]

Purchasing? Nope, at least not sight unseen. Never going to purchase or pre-purchase a game I dont get to demo or see again. BF:V cured me of that. I've followed it, just havent posted all the news and video here over the last 14month. Its a different monster than BF1942/DC in a lot of different ways.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I will be buying it. 1942/DC gave me hours of enjoyment. I loved BFV also.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 11 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought BF1942 and BFV but both seemed too chaotic for me.

I enjoyed myself, but wish they would "feel" more like CounterStrike.

Either way, I have gift cards I've been saving. [Wink] So I'll probably be picking this one up too.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
I loved BFV also.

I liked it, not as much as DC, and then the support fell off the face of the planet. I'm not paying for a game that is still a beta version (BF:V). At least there is a free Demo. That is a big part of the success of BF1942.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it was certainly no fun to suddenly blow up from a missle etc - but vehilcle combat really made those games great.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

The CSM forum has a lot of info, links, in game video's. http://forum.cracksmokingmonkeys.net/viewtopic.php?t=3016&start=45

I'll be trying it out there, as they are hands down the best server & hosting in the west half of the U.S.

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Yeah, it was certainly no fun to suddenly blow up from a missle etc - but vehilcle combat really made those games great.

One thing I am looking forward to in BF2 is dog fighting... "missle lock ftw baby" no more trying to lead, spray and pray.
Jomama
Member # 56

http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/downloads.jsp

its out and its said to be very good.

Jomama
Member # 56

Played for a few hours this morning. Very nice, clean, and fun. Said I needed to update my drivers but I didnt and it worked fine. Playing with 64 players on the csm server is nuts (209.221.142.115). All missles can lock, SAM's as well. Cobra Helo had bunker busters or something similar for the second weapon, just insane. Explosions and cuncusion effects are really cool. Controls seem pretty smooth and realistic I guess, you can shoot from vehicles like BF:V. Infantry combat is much better than the original BF1942/DC.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool game. They took all the good things from BF 1942 and BFV and put them into this game. They also improved the infantry part of the game a lot - they added voice chat (CS) and voice commands (CS). There is a commander module but I haven't tried it yet so I won't comment.

Overall, the graphics and game play seemed smoother then the original. The effects when you get hit or a bomb lands near you are very cool (blurred vision etc). Weapon control was decent - I still noticed you have to lead people by quite a bit.

Vehicles worked just like in the original. Haven't been able to grab a aircraft yet - 64 player servers are awesome except for the 20 players on each side waiting for a plane to spawn.

The map in the demo is cool - lots of detail and different areas. I hope all the maps are this cool.

Download the demo if you haven't already (link in the private area).

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think ill just wait until the retail version comes out. Plenty to do until then so im not in a hurry.

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender:
I think ill just wait until the retail version comes out. Plenty to do until then so im not in a hurry.

Ditto...

Finally got 54...now only 5,000,000 XP to go. [Big Grin]

--------------------
 -

Jomama
Member # 56

Klauso, when u try again, make sure you try to join a "squad"... (you should really come over to the CSM servers, they have 2 now, and one has a P/W so we can keep teamwork efforts up, it will be all regulars).

Squad features turn the squad leader into a spawn point, so squads can all respawn together if leader can survive. Squad leader can tell his whole squad to attack a certain flag. Other squad members are green in the minimap, and you can see any enemy they see on the minimap.

Some pretty slick features to encourage teamplay for sure. I havent even looked at how the field commander works, but when there is a good one playing, they really add a lot to the battle.

A little different setup, but I like the new radio command system (Q button). Makes it a lot easier to ID enemy units precisely, and share the info on the minimap.

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downloaded the demo last night...will give it a shot tonight.

Can you blow up buildings yet?

I always thought that was a stupid feature that if someone hid behind a wall the tank couldn't just blast right through it...

--------------------
 -

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 9 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I'm not blown away.

It definitely looks better, and there's a lot going on, which is cool. But it still has that Battlefield "feel" to it.

I guess I'm such a CS junkie that I want every FPS to feel like CS.

Anyway, vehicles are cool, weapons are cool, combat is about the same to me...I feel like I miss way more than I should when I'm crouched, looking down the barrel and the guy is 20 feet from me...

The Q thing is real slick, but it doesn't look like it does anything...maybe people aren't listening, or maybe I'm not using it correctly.

I was a squad leader (on single player) and was giving orders...that seemed pretty cool.

Medics really seem to be the biggest change I've seen. They're actually used, and essential! [Smile] I like how if you die and you're about to respawn but all of a sudden you see the little medic dude above you and you're saved! [Wink]

I still can't believe that they haven't implemented destroyable environments...that would change things so much... It's like you can hide behind a small thin shed and a tank can't blast you...

Then again, I only played for about an hour, mostly single player. So we'll see what happens when I get on the multiplayer.

--------------------
 -

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I also feel that the bullets fly all around someone right in front of your barrel - which is annoying. I was prone on a corner with the big machine gun waiting for people to run around the corner. I got killed almost every time when I unloaded - didn't seem to hit them at all. That part does suck.

Flying is a bit different - I was having problems with my twist joystick last night until I figured out it was set up backwards.... lol

Joe - what's the port of the server you play on? I entered the IP but it couldn't connect using the default port.

Jomama
Member # 56

Well the reason you didnt see the Server yesterday is it was down for a while. EA thru a hissy fit yesterday, coming out with a statement that they were blacklisting servers that had unlocked two features included in the demo, blacklist from the server selection list that is, so there is some steam type action going on with "their" server selection screen. http://forum.cracksmokingmonkeys.net/viewtopic.php?t=3087

Basically sounds like EA is just a big greedy corp who give no kudo's or support to those that promote their product with their own time and money...

Its back up now, standard port.. Sometimes its passworded too, they were running 2, one passworded, one not. PW = csm

If you search CSM in the search window I have been pulling up both servers.

There is some interactment with the environment. If your standing behind even a thick wall, and a tank blast the other side, or gets it near you at a opening, the cuncussion effects do affect you, and you do take damage.

Anyone see the arty work yet... just devistating. Think the airstrikes in RTCW.

I've been messing with sensitivity a bit, my shooting definitly improved last night.

The helo's are nerfed in that they it takes 10 football fields to turn the damn thing around.

Re: the Q button. Point the big center circle at a enemy target, and left click, he's ID' in radio and on Minimap for all to see. If you get it right in the center, it even says "tank" or "helo". If your just in the circle but not centered it just says "enemy unit" and you see a red ? on the minimap. Some of the options around the center circle can be right clicked on for mor options.

Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me or is the connectivity shaky at best? I can play for 40 mins then i get droped? other then that I am buying the retail version, I like the squad commands and the idea of support troops.
Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
retail is cool, I have been playing the ranked servers, and have noticed horrable lag on the largest servers.
Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

The ranked servers will be EA junk, plauged with hackers just like before... I personally will not be playing on them just because of the way they're treating the people who put their own time and money into running BF games... Just my NSHO... great game, but EA can bite me.
Jomama
Member # 56

I dont think I'll be buying till next week, but glad to hear its good so far.

I guess right off the bat tho the Linux version is crashing the client side... More EA BS.

Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

I crash to desktop or get droped, I have been playing on the ranked servers, I like the commander and squad functions. I want to see if you can use the unlocked weapons with that class in game.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you not playing WoW Trany? Are you still playing SWG?

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

He knows if he starts playing Wow he will never leave the computer. One of these days he will break down [Smile]

I got a copy of the DVD version last night - installed but haven't played yet. I hope it works.

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you have time to play BF2?! [Big Grin] You have to be on WoW all the time to answer my questions [Wink]

Thanks Jeeves!

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

nope on the SWG, and I only play CS FT mod and BF2. I have to figure out how to tweek my settings so I stop getting timed out and horrid lag. My guess is it will involve retarding my video settings.

I know WoW is crack and my will is strong.

Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

I dumbed down my video settings to medium across the board, and it seems to help a bit. Hopefuly the first patch will fix those issues. The mobile AA "tanks" are the shit, they kill troops, tanks, helos and anything you toss at them. I kind of like the rank and award thing personally. It took me 2 days to hit pfc. from pvt. the rank thing works if you apply for commander, if another player applies then you get bumped if they have the rank to pull. I could see the mobile AA being nerfed.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My video settings are set to high. Everything looks really good. However, when I first join the game I get a lot of "hitches" where the game pauses for a milisecond. It's like in Wow when you log on in Iron Forge - everything slowly loads and then it's smooth. I may dumb it down the medium setting see if that's any better. What is EA saying about graphical issues? Next patch?

I like the game play a lot. The squad part is my favorite. I am still trying to figure out some of the game - like where the fuck is the artillery that raining bombs down on top of me. Is this controlled by the commander? I usually play special ops - I have been heading for the opposite teams control trailer and blowing it up... What does that do?

The sprint function in this game is the best part!

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klaus:

When you hit caplock when your a commander, it brings up a screen similar to the squad leader screen but with a few features on the side too.

SCAN
ARTILLARY
UAD
SUPPLIES

Right clicking on your map brings up options too, and there is a series of icons at the bottom of the map too (these I havent figured out yet).

Scan is a satalite scan of the whole map, giving you a brief view of most all enemy positions. Nobody is safe from this, whole map gets shown for a second.

Arty are physically located somewhere near the home base of each faction, but are controlled by the Commander.

UAD (unmanned aerial drone) Is the little radar plane that the commander can deploy over an area and relay enemy positions to troops via minimap. Lasts for a min or 2.

Supplies.. self explanitory. If your a squad leader you can use squad commands to request a drop directly, which commander can just confirm to drop instead of picking the location himself.

SCAN/ARTY/UAD can all be disabled by destoying the Radar/guns/little trailer. They do respawn eventually, or can be repaired by a eng.

I'm having fun being the commander, but you can never hide to long in one spot cause the other commander can see you when he scans. You can zoom in on a area and its a really nice top view, like a photo with troops fighting and all. Fun watching arty rein hell down on a few guys who get blown into the air... [Big Grin]

Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Have you tried the ranked servers?
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Thanks for the tips Joe. I was just heading for the base or the flag the squad leader picked and blowing shit up.

My favorite is still playing anti-tank riding in a Bradley... When an enemy tank approches jump out and hit it with rockets while the bradley pilot shoots rockets.

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Trany:
Have you tried the ranked servers?

NOPE.. not gonna support EA trying to wring every last dollar from their customers and give a big ol' [brd] to the modding community that spent their time and money keeping BF1942 alive long beyond its shelf life (via DC that is)... They include shit in the config file, and are BLACKLISTING servers that alter the config file.... Bucho lame tools running EA.
Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Tis a shame, its only a game. EA is not some Nazi regiem.

I am still having connection issues, I have to screen my ports and see what needs to be opened.

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

WoW is calling Trany.....

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Resistance is futile!
Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Trany:
EA is not some Nazi regiem.

No but their trying real hard.
  This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005