Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » TF2 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TF2
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Video

http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2007/08/team-fortress-2-live-demonstration.html

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valve has just announced that PC gamers who pre-purchase its upcoming ultra-compilation The Orange Box via Steam will gain access to the Team Fortress 2 beta next week on September 17. Following Steam tradition, the pre-order price for the package knocks 10% off the overall price, making it only $44.95.

[ 09-20-2007, 05:46: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

-
Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo, hot, are you guys going to have a server?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yes, we have really good upload speed currently so I think it won't be a problem. On my PS3 Sony does a test and allows be to run a 24 player server for Warhawk so TF2 should be able to handle the same. Should be fun.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Mods on the Steam boards say TF2 will be playable around 7EST tonight (10/17).
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you kids going to use Ventrilo for TF2 as well as WoW? Can that be set up for separate channels? If so, why don't you post in the Private section for those of us that would like to kill you in TF2, but not WoW...

Brent

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

We will see how the HL2 built in audio works. Otherwise there is plenty of room on the vent server for TF2 players.

Here is the server info:

In your server list go to the "favorites" tab. Click Add Server. Type in:

71.195.63.101:27015

Then double click on the server in your favorites list.

I increased by cable to 8MB down 768 up so it should host 20 players now without lag.

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, thanks.

I don't want to cough up for the whole "Orange Box" as I already have HL2, so I have to wait until Oct. 10 to just get TF2.

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

What is it $15 diff and you can gift the HL2 to someone else [Smile]

$44 for Orange Box (HL2 EP1 EP2 TF2)
$29 for TF2 alone

But yeah I hate the bribe of Tf2 a month early too.

Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be just like the old days. Scott will find a nice sniper perch and steve and mohad will be running around with gatlin guns. I will have to remember to buy a shitloat of miller lite too [Smile]
I can't wait!

Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Well I think a Mohag Heavy Weapons with Steve healing her would be a deadly combo. Oh and Miller Lite!

Last night I think the server did much better. We had 13 ppl on it with no detectable lag spikes. I do think we should have a rule about no fucking scouts until there are 8-10 ppl on the server. Its just a race if there are less.

Spy is my favorite currently - love the butterfly knifing in the back.

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not had that much fun with a FPS in a long time... I LOVE TORCHING PEOPLE... Cannon fodder for sure... But nothing like sneaking into the enemy front lines and jumping into the middle of them Flame-On.. They scatter like roaches, running like little girls to get away. [lol] [lol]

Shotgun is pretty effective too... Gotta get the quick switch down.. Torch->Shotty

Love the choke points, map layouts seem to force co-ordination, even on the random server I jumped on teamplay was pretty good.

Demo is a lot of fun too.. Going to enjoy the engineer too, nice that the shotty is a bit more effective than TFC.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

The shotgun is very effective in most of the classes. I was on a server with a scout that was gunning down everyone. Looks like they ditched the caltrops and stun grenade for a more powerful shotgun. At least it makes the scout more then just a flag runner.

I didn't play with pyro too much because it seemed that his range wasn't far enough. But I can see where fire + shotgun would be a deadly combo.

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two solid shots with the flamethrower will kill all but the Heavy I think (might take 3 for him)...

Or one torch, one/two shots with the shotty kills all but the heavy.. The torch is range limited but much more powerful than it was in TFC, fair tradeoff for loosing the fire-rocket launcher they used to have.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

And the fire grenades.

I think before the release the Pyro was built up too much in the articles. That one I posted mentioned it would just be instant death if you hit people. However, it's more like a ticking DOT. I found myself chasing people trying to burn them. But I can see jumping into a group of people and really fucking them up.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

http://noncompliance.com/files/TFC11.wmv
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

-
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Joe - how is your computer running this game and what settings are you using?

I have noticed that it is not using both of my cores on the G15 screen. It seems to max one of the cores out and then I assume windows uses 20% of the other. I heard in the final release they will allow it to use both cores but who knows.

I use medium settings with full resolution and it plays ok but in big fights I see fps drop to 15 sometimes. I currently have a 7950GT.

Jomama
Member # 56

I think its doing good considering what it is...

Athlon 2500+xp, 1.2g of value ram, and the 7800gs.

I've never been able to get high FPS for any game afaik (always in the 20ish+) even with low pings on Seattle servers, but I've come to think thats due to the vast distance away from the servers an not my hardware...

My performance monitor says I'm using 89-100% of the CPU and about 90% of the memory for the most part.. Pretty sure my CPU is the weak-est part of my system.. Well, and that and I still dont think my RAM is running at 400mhz

I played around with some Vid-Card overclocking on Saturday, but didnt notice any improved appearance or performance, in fact it seemed more laggy, but it was Sat night, busy server/more internet traffic.. I turned it back to default.

Afa in game vid settings... It's "suggested" was almost everything on high as well as AA/AF.

I turned off AA, turned AF down from x8 to x4. I turned Reflections down to "simple" and I turned "Model Detail" from High to Medium.

I only reduced the settings that gave me a medium choice, if it was Low/High I left it on High.

I dont notice any "significant" performance issues with this compared to say TFC or CS or any other close quarters combat style FPS where smooth gameplay and precision for aiming is necessary...

I get the occasional lag spike or something.. Where I walk thru a doorway and then it freezes for a second and then I walk thru the doorway again.. But its not consistent or regular. I've made it thru lots of chaos without lagging out, choke points in the maps with explosions and lots of stuff going on for example.... Nothing that makes me feel I'm at a disadvantage or anything..

Jomama
Member # 56

Is there an in game FPS monitor that I can activate? Whats the command? I should see what I get..

I dwnloaded a G15-Steam application for the LCD that should give you all your stats.. I forgot to turn it on so I havent used it yet..

I got some weird shit on Saturday night. When I was playing with Overclocking... I got in game and it seemed excessively laggy... Then I crashed, and when I went to reboot the game I got that weird steam error I mentioned.. Telling me I didnt have enough disk space.. Thats when I returned my O'Clocking back to default.. After a hour or so of trying to get ingame and getting that error message, TF2 started to update itself.. Not sure what, there was no update Saturday night AFAIK... But it downloaded for 3-4 hours starting at about 11pm my time Saturday...

Game worked fine on sunday..

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I will send you Fraps that I paid for. Install that - it's like 10mb and will show a FPS counter in the upper left corner and has a nice G15 applet.

I would think your CPU is your bottle neck but 1gb of RAM is pretty low these days. Glad to hear it's running well on your system. I want to see how it looks when Steve buys it on his system with the 8800GTS. I assume you are running at 1920x1200? Valve made sure it could play on a lot of system levels. It is on the updated version of the HL2 engine I found out so for me my computer seems to run older HL2 games like CSS better.

There was an update on Friday night that you had to log out of steam and back in for it to download. I had to do the same to the server or I got a map version error.

They don't publish a patch notes that I have found so no idea what got changed. I saw on the TF2 forums they made a sticky saying "Grenades will NOT be added"....... Currently, its all grenades, spawn times, and spy bitching over there.

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:

I would think your CPU is your bottle neck but 1gb of RAM is pretty low these days.

Yeah, I only guess I'm not memory limited cause I've never seen the performance monitor maxed out for games. Of course I could have faster mem as well if I wasnt running value quality.

Seems to me that PC3200/DDR400 is and always has been more expensive... Crappy artifact of building when I did....

It went from top of the line to obsolete almost overnight and the prices have always reflected that.. They used to be high $$$ cause it was high end and now its high $$$ cause its not the norm or standard (I guess).. I never saw it as cheap as you can get 2g of decent DDR2 667-800mhz currently.. Decent Corsair stuff would still run me $140 (an realistically more like $180 to $240) and I just dont think putting more money into this system makes sense anymore.. Granted I could have a server (really enough for 2 at this point) for backup or w/e, but I dont even think I'll end up doing that.. No urgent need for one to be worth the increased electric bill..

[ 09-24-2007, 13:06: Message edited by: Jomama ]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I still have a 2800 system in my house and it runs my media center/bedroom computer. No complaints but yeah I was in the same boat last year - I had a dead end system (AGP). My new system is scalable and I traded some memory with Michelle brother - he got DDR2 on accident, so now I have 4 gb. Windows can't use that much so I took 1 gb to work. And of course I got in on DDR2 memory when it was $299 for 2gb....... now its half that [Frown]
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

They actually did publish the update notes:

quote:
September 21, 2007
Changes/Additions

* Optimized sound system

Bug fixes

* Removed background map due to incompatibilities
* Fixed a Direct3d device restore problem causing crash and/or black screen
* Fixed Windows Vista crash bug
* Fixed achievement manager crash
* Fixed occasional sniper zoom crash

Jomama
Member # 56

Yeah, but I think I got the friday update and it was quick... W/e happend on Sat night took forever.. I just wonder if I somehow rolled back my steam or something.. was odd, killed my gaming around 10 pm.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

My stats so far. As you can see I like the Demoman.

-

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Friendly Fire to be Removed

If you’re unlucky enough to have played on a Team Fortress 2 server with friendly fire on, you know what a drag it can be. Getting shot by teammates to see if you’re an enemy spy (making the spy extremely overpowered), getting torched by your own pyros… it’s not a great experience. But, according to CVG, Valve never intended for friendly fire to so much as be included in the game as an option. So, it would make sense that the fact that friendly fire slipped in as an option in the beta would eventually result in seeing said “feature” removed.

Developer Robin Walker, quoted in a post on a German gaming forum (credible, I know) stated, “TF2 was never intended to be played with FF on. It was an oversight … It’ll be going away shortly,” which is what began the speculation yesterday that the feature would be yanked.

Blog Rock, Paper, Shotgun is reporting that it has received confirmation from Walker saying that he did email the German website stating that the mode was never intended to be in the game. So, is that enough confirmation for you?

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Update:

An updated client for the Team Fortress 2 beta is now available, according to Steam News. Here some of the fixes that come with the update:

# Fixed a crash with ATI cards running on Vista
# Fixed a networking problem that could cause a crash certain types of home networking hardware with out of date firmware installed
# Fixed a networking problem that could cause some animation jittering
# Fixed bug causing incorrect .dem files to be written (all files after first .dem file would be corrupted)
# Fixed bug with placement of teleporters that could result in players being unable to move
# Removed mp_friendlyfire cvar for servers. Team Fortress 2 breaks in a number of ways if this is on

Jomama
Member # 56

Team Fortress 2 Updates..

Added Team Fortress 2 events and cameras to SourceTV
Fixed memory fragmentation crash
Fixed prediction error that caused jittery sticky bomb launcher behavior
Fixed rare crash when creating muzzleflashes

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Does the removal of friendly fire improve the Pryo class? I get a kick out of cooking people, and I've read many complaints on the Web that Pryo's were the weakest class...

Joe, I'm curious as to how you run after this patch as my system is just barely above yours.

(Athlon 3200, 7900GS, 2GB Crucial RAM) -> I can run Bioshock pretty smooth on Medium settings.

Brent

Jomama
Member # 56

I played last night for a while, running great for the most part. I had one instance of lag while in the middle of a bunch of 'nade and rocket spam.. But 99.9% of the time I have no problems playing, and I'm doing some serious killing too and maintaining pretty decent scores.. For the most part I assume it can only get better with updates as they work out any remaining bugs..
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

The removal of FF I think really helps the Pyro class. One of the "jobs" of the Pyro is supposed to be spy checking. Basically, burning everyone in your base - with FF on this would kill many teammates. Brent - you will love the sound effects in this game, especially the on fire ones.
Jomama
Member # 56

I think the pyro's are much more effective than they were in TFC.. You have to learn the quick switch too... Torch->Shotty... You can two shot everyone but heavy's with that..
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Team Fortress 2's Pyro Gets Tweaked
Sep 28, 2007 at 6:05 PM - Andrew Burnes
The Pyro's love is a point blank range damage increase:

# Added option to change Field-of-view, between 75 & 90, from the Options->Multiplayer tab
# Added option to disable Player sprays
# Fixed flamethrower hit detection
# Increased flamethrower damage at point blank range
# Demoman grenades (not stickybombs) no longer explode on contact after the first bounce
# Fixed a startup crash
# Fixed a case where players could get stuck in tc_hydro
# Fixed player movement prediction errors
# Fixed third-person sniper aim animation not matching player's view exactly
# Fixed achievements and stats being awarded when watching other player's demos
# Fixed rare server crash due to data corruption in networking
# Fixed a case where some sounds had incorrect volumes

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

quote:
# Added option to change Field-of-view, between 75 & 90, from the Options->Multiplayer tab
Tried this and it's much better for widescreen ppl. Joe make sure to try this.
Jomama
Member # 56

My Steam account has been disabled. [Mad] [brd] [Mad] [brd] [Mad]
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Any idea why?
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

BTW.... Pyros are now everywhere and quite powerful. A pipe bomb to the face will still kill them however.
Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Any idea why?

Not yet, of course they did it on friday before they leave for the weekend, so no response from them at all.

I had disputed my charge with AmEx for TF2... Contested mabey 24hrs before I got TF2 to finally work.. I dropped the dispute within 24hrs.. and AmEx dropped it immediately. They've gotten their money...

Thats the only thing I can think of, since there "help faq" for disabled accounts lumps everything together from stolen/hacked accounts, fraudulent payments, pirated key's, etc... they make no distinction and give you no information.. Hell they didnt even fire off an email telling me why it was disabled...

Keep in mind, they didnt just disable TF2, they disabled every game I've ever paid for thru steam...

Fucking pissed is right.. [brd] I hate everyone and everything and am tired of being surrounded by incompetents.....

This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005