Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » LAN Party (4/8/01)??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LAN Party (4/8/01)??
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking that either the 7th or 8th of April I would host a LAN party in my basement. We should have plenty of room for a bunch of computers down there. I think we have three extra 17 in monitors - so all you would need to bring is your box and perpetuals. I could set up a password protected game of TFC or counterstrike so if you can't make it you can connect over the internet. What do you guys think? Maybe we could play some magic too, since it has been awhile and we all have big $$ invested in that game. Just an idea - post your thoughts.

Klaus

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add - what games besides TFC and CS should we play?

Starcraft
Red Alert
Diablo2
Quake3
Unreal turn.
Anything else?

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in, and I'm actually off that weekend. Since we all know the problems associated with running a lan game, my suggestion would be to have it on sat the 7 and start fairly early. Also, probably plan on going late as we are also all aware of the time warp that goes along with this type of gaming.
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having done several of these here are some suggestions:
1. Finalize the games you want to play before hand (3 is usually plenty)
2. Make sure EVERYONE has the game already installed, configured and patched to the same version
3. Set up early in the morning (8-9am), it takes longer than you think to link-up PCs
4. Figure out exactly where you're going to set up the PCs and make sure you have enough Ethernet cables and hubs/switches

I'll see if I can make it, but I think the wife is having her wisdom teeth pulled that Friday...

------------------
Cremator

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 14 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My votes are for starcraft "brood war" version and counterstrike.

Scott, I dont have any cable for lan. Are you going to have enough? I think Brent has all the right answers. We need to set up early and make sure all versions of the game are the same.

Chad and Tim, make sure you have 1.1 installed for Counter-strike. Also, lets make sure we have enough keys for Brood war. That is if anyone else wants to play it. Tim, practice up on Starcraft if you dont know it very well. It rules in multi-player. Just make sure sit-back-and-die-chad is not your partner ...

Steve Dykstra, are you in for this. 'Cause lord knows we could use your expert advice on all this stuff!!!!

Later Men

mikey

Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be possible, ill have to ok it with the "boss" for me to bring our 8port 10/100 Switch over with (5)-10ft cables and (4)-25ft cables. If i make it i probably wont be there until latter in the day.

Mike (leave my base undefended so i can get buttonhooked) is not TOOO bad at SCBW. I guess i wouls play on his team.

c

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 3 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an 8 port 10/100 switch and a lot of CAT5 cables. I can also make ones THAT WORK! I have lots of cable and ends.

I have the latest version of CS, but haven't played Starcraft for a while. My Brood Wars CD got left at the Dykstra's apartment before they moved. It was only V1.0 and need to be updated the one time we played.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pfaff - I think we are going to need a bunch of cable. I have one run that goes from the hub upstairs to the basement - we can use this as the uplink to your hub, and connect all the basement people to your hub. Should work good. Steve is getting a couple big tables from the Eagan hockey arena to set shit up on.

Broadwars is going to be a problem. I tried to find my copy and Pfaffs and so far I haven't been able to locate either. I do have 2 CDR copies but neither work. Mike or Chad do you have an original that could be burned a few times before next weekend?

Klaus

Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a copy of brood war that you can copy. Two problems I can see. I think that brood wars is only a add on to to the original so i think we need both unless you guys already have it installed. Also, those dang key numbers. Does anyone know how many spawns we can have on a lan game??

I have a card table I can bring. Have you decided on a set-up time yet? Sat. or Sun.?

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you only need an original starcraft key for each person. I will make some copies of brood war here and give them too you this week.

Ive made probably 100 cables that work so dont get on my case cause one didn't.

c

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya gotta luv off-topic posts typed with a hammer...
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you boys love your Starcraft, but if you really want everyone to enjoy it, you shouls shy away from games that a few have mastered. The imbalance tends to leave many people out of the game very early and they have nothing to do but wander about until the game finishes, which can be several hours.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Brent. I know how it can be to not know a game and then play it at a LAN party. My first experience with Unreal Tourn. was this way and it wasn't much fun.

Has anyone played Red Alert 2 yet? I thought it might be fun to buy it and play it for the first time on Sat. That way it is equal for everyone. Tribes 2 comes out this week too, I think.

Brent are you going to be able to come or don't you know yet?

Who is in for Magic after a certain time on Sat? Should I call Neurauter? (I really hate that man)

Klaus

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry boys, but the wife is having her wisdom teeth pulled Friday so that leaves me out. I would have loved to come, so if it goes off well and you plan another count me in...
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Brent - will you be able to connect to our server from home and maybe play a few games of C-Strike with us? I can give you a uswest dial up number that should give you pretty damn good ping to our server.

Anyway, too bad you can't make it - if we do play a few games of magic, it won't be the same without you.

Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott and Steve:
Thank you very much for hosting the Lan party! I had a great time ans I'm sure everyoneone else did too.

Thanks again.

MIKEY

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it was a blast! Total number of people playing was 8 through out the day.

Total beer comsumed over the 16 hours (noon - 4 a.m.) was over 80 bottles of Honey Weiss.

Let me know if you guys would like to do it again sometime before we furnish the basement. Me and Steve will be putting together a couple additional "junk" computers soon with the PII400's that came out of the server, so it's possible that we might have 3-4 extras up and running. Anyone have any PII motherboards sitting around?

Klaus

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Oh, I forgot to thank Tim in my other post for bringing the switch and all the extra cables - that helped a lot! And thanks for also remembering to bring your "black bag" with all the shit to fix our fucked up computers.

Also - the set-up went really well, pretty much plug and play, except for the Linksys POS shit network card that Mike brought. But we replaced it with an $8 Netgear card and he was up and running. Thanks Steve for setting up the DHCP server ahead of time it worked great (although I know you never read your own forum)

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also had a great time fellas. thanks for inviting me down. i would be up for another party whenever. i do get a 75 ping from home most of the time on your server so if i couldnt make it i could at least play with everyone.How much does everyone play on the server? Everytime i go on i dont see anyone i know. Sorry i left early, i was sick for like 4 days prior so i was feeling a little boozy.
Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikey plays during the day - sometimes at night if he is off.

Chad plays some nights, but you need to call him.

I have seen Luke on the last couple nights.

Download this little program that runs in your system tray and displays the number of people on the server.

http://www.dfsoftware.com/ServerWatch/

You can set it up so that when a "buddy" joins the server it plays a sound. That's how I always know when Mike or Chad are on the server.

I have noticed lately that the server is usually full from about 10am until 5pm and then empty after that. So if you want to play on it at night you usually need to at least call one other person. If a couple people start playing on it - more usually join.

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Scott. Ill try to get on about 8:00 tonight to see if anyone is on.
Who do i have to give a reacharound to to post in the "members only" section? i can view the posts in there but cant reply to any of them.

thanks,

Hauser

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005