Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Time to install punkbuster

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Time to install punkbuster
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after an extremelly frustrating experince last night playing with Tim on another server (which was not using punkbuster) I think it is a must for you guys to install punkbuster on the server.
There is so many cheats and scripts out there now its not even fun to play on those servers.

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing to make playing on the server harder for people...... (in my opinion)

I haven't encountered a problem on our server to date - and if I did I would enjoy kicking and turning cheaters into Llamas. I will give everyone admin privledges and we can self police ourselves.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 4 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read about the cheat that those ass-fuckers were using that night, PunkBuster doesn't even block it. It also has a wall-hack built into it and the aimbot is configurable for head/torso. All the cheats included in it can be turned on or off during game play, which makes it harder to tell if someone is using it.

It was pretty easy to tell that these people were using it because they were getting headshots 19 out of 20 times.

If PunkBuster comes out with an update that blocks this cheat, I would also recommend using it. I've been on a number of servers that use it and it isn't any more work to connect. Also, you'll know that the people that are connecting and not getting booted are more likely to be there to play fair .... hopefully.

ALL CHEATERS HAVE SMALL DICKS!!!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling we have a lot of that crap going on on our server. The few times I've played I've absolutely hated because the game seems impossibly difficult. I chalked it up to being a newbie but it seems like there's more to it than just that. It's definitely something we should consider after we get our new IP and get re-established on everyone's favorites and all that. I don't want to see regulars frequenting our server because it's easy to cheat on.

BTW - Since most of us will be at the Tool concert tomorrow night, maybe we can reschedule our game night to this weekend or something.

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust me Steve you will get better…. I always thought everyone was cheating when I first started, but in CS there is a lot more to the game then just shooting.

The reason that I don’t believe cheating is a big deal on our server is because Chad, Hauser or myself are always toward the top of the rankings. Of course there are always those games where we all suck but for the most part we are near the top.

I have found even when playing with a cheater/really good player it is best to out smart them by hiding or doing something they don’t expect. Also it is easy to spot a cheater by following them after you die and looking for signs of cheating (they jerk around when walking as the “aimbot” locks on to the color of flesh in the background or they look through walls)

Steve you should join a server such as Minneapolis tonight and you will really think everyone is cheating – I can never get to even .500 on that server, I am usually 2-30 at the end of the round – there are people that play 24-7 and are that good.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not uncommon for some of those fuckers to go 50 and 4 or some sick shit because they are that good. Some of those clans that we play with play in the CPL leagues and the pro circuits. Everyone says that these guys cheat when we all know they are just damn good at CS. While we all have our good days, these guys rarely ever have a bad day. They know the maps, play the odds, and play together. 5 mediocre players that play as a team will beat a couple elite players if they stick together and play smart. We just need to play together a little more now that winter is coming around and we all will have more fun. Why dont we all start posting where we are going to play at night so we can team up? I know I am on at night and I just play because unless Chad is on i wont find any of you guys. That would help a ton :}
Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hauser post some servers you play on....

When I update I never seem to get a good list - a lot of zero ping servers. In fact I think about 25% of the servers on the list show zero ping. I add a bunch of 100-200 ping servers to my favorites but when I connect I get 200+ pings.

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
k ill post some when i get home. You might have to go find a couple of the new map packs but otherwise its all good. Chad and i play on the triple t3 MN one a lot. always around 50 ping. mn counterstrike, DAMAGE INC is also another good ping one. There are a few others but cant remember names at the moment. Tonight is dead now. I havent seen one person play on it for like a month.
Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following was posted on alt.games.half-life.counterstrike newsgroup

I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet, I haven't seen.

There is a new way to wallhack, not just Counter-Strike, but just about all
3D shooters using Glide or D3D. It actually allows the user to change an
invisible wall option via an update for the 3dfx toolkit provided with the
new driver.

I began to suspect something not too long ago, when I noticed how it was
becoming easier for people to kill me, as if they precognition of my
whereabouts. Sometimes someone would jump out from a blind corner that I'm
covering, and already know to be facing EXACTLY in my direction, already
firing at me before they jumped out from cover. Statistically speaking, they
should be wrong 50% of the time, in the event that they were blind-firing to
cover themselves during movement and I happened to be behind them and not in
front. But the same player always knows what direction you're at, then
something's up.

A few times I was shot through walls with the Magnum rifle, and there was no
way for anyone to know I was on the other side, unless they had ESP or were
somehow cheating. This even happened on Punkbuster servers, so I became
convinced that there was some sort of new wallhack. After playing with
several co-workers one Saturday afternoon at our place of work, in the same
room (gotta take advantage of that bandwidth!), we all noticed this, and
when any of us were in spectator mode, we could verbally confirm with full
certainty that we were being repeatedly killed through walls by the same
players who shouldn't have known, or that the players seemed to hesitate and
reposition themselves when ONLY approaching areas where one of us was
definitely hiding. Yes, sometimes players who are playing at the same
location could quickly guide their living buddies when in spectator mode,
but we ruled that out after realizing that they'd have to have almost
identical pings, which rarely surfaced. Most people are physically playing
by themselves (get your minds out of the gutter!)

A group of people, the "X3dfX Community Development", have been further
developing drivers for Voodoo 3/4/5 cards after 3dfx went under and sold
their assets off to nVidia. These new drivers add additional functions to
the 3dfx toolkit, and one of these is an option that allows you to make
walls invisible.

I just discovered this 2 weeks ago, and have downloaded and have tested it
on my Voodoo at work. It works very well in the Half-Life series, as well as
in the Quake and Unreal series of games. Because this is done through the
drivers for the card, it is NOT detected by punkbuster, at least not yet as
I know.

It was amazing. When the walls were invisible, it was even easier to tell
who was cheating. I could look through a wall and see an opponent on the
other side, in a corner, not facing the doorway, or checking their rear, but
actually facing the corner as if looking through the wall.... DIRECLTY AT
ME, adjusting their position in perfect coordination with my movement, just
waiting for me to move towards their doorway. I actually noticed more people
who actions suggested they were wall hacking then when I couldn't see them.

This needs to be out in the open, so that it can be circumvented before it
gets worse. I have no qualms with X3dfX, I think it's really cool what
they're doing, and I love all the tweakable features they included. But I
think it's a shitty development that there are quite a few people out there
obviously taking advantage of this. The Voodoo was immensely popular, there
has to be a huge number of players out there using them, enough to make a
sizable minority who have learned about the new drivers and decided to use
it to their advantage.

You can read all about the development and download the drivers at http://home.tampabay.rr.com/mwarhead/index2.htm

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I know you say that having PB on your server will mean less people but i think your wrong about that.A lot of great players wont play on a PB less server at all. They are upgrading PB all the time. There are certain video settings it does check for to prevent those drivers from being used. I am not sure if it works or not on preventing it. All I know for sure is there are waaaay less cheaters on PB servers. Odds are that 50% of the time we think someone might be cheating, they arent. Just damn good or lucky. hell I got like 10 head shots in a row last night and like 5 people were like "your cheating!!!!" The good thing is that we are getting better at detecting cheaters so we will know who to drop off of the server. I would suggest at least looking into PB for the server. Youcan always take it back off if we dont like it.
Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 10 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Hauser, we all you you are a cheater!
Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Yup thats me for sure heh .
The day I get more consistent is the day you can call me a cheater hehe. I think I am gonna make a key bind that says CHEATER! everytime i get killed.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005