Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Desert Combat MOD (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Desert Combat MOD
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, this is just fucking great. YOU GOTTA TRY IT. Its BF1942 on Cocaine. Everything seems like its 3-4x faster. The Abrams are just badass, really fast, so if you can drive good, you just keep circling the enemy and hammering them (tanks reload much faster too). Aircraft do tons of damage w/their missles. Even a Harrier to hover around in. Helicopters are difficult to fly, but deadly once you get the hang of it. Hummers, APC's, armored AA tanks, more class's of solider to pick from too. The non-U.S. forces use Russian shit, and look like little saddam's running around with berets and desert camo. [lol]

Still in Alpha but the game runs suprisingly well. They use the BF1942 maps unchanged.
I think its www.desertcombat.com

[ 04-09-2003, 11:40: Message edited by: Jomama ]

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havent played regular BF1942 since I loaded this MOD, and have only played CS for a few hours max.... Its so much more fun, especially all the added flying tactics.

AC-130 specter gunship. Flying Spawn point (to parachute in and capture flags), (2) different artillery cannons & (3) large mini-guns.

Apache & Hind Gunships are absolutely devastating. Nothing like unloading 15 stingers and a few hellfires into a armored collum.

Blackhawk helo with a very effective "manned" minigun on one side.

AC-10 and a similar russian bomber, the mini-guns are the best.

and theres also F16's and Mig29's.

Some really good artillery that can just dominate games if you use it well. Each side has mobile missle trucks. So you can rain hell down on an entire base in the form of 15-20 missles "per volly" (stay parked by a reload if possible).

I can't wait to see how this game evolves and what they'll ad to it.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bite.. Im dl'ing it now.. Ill post my experience after a few days.
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

So you dwnloaded this a month ago Mikey, what'dya think???

Anybody else try it yet?

They just updated to Alpha 3.5, added few things and fixed some bugs. I guess the next version will add all types of new shit, F-117, New Army APC the stryker...... [beer]

Jomama
Member # 56

Alright slackers [shake] , they just came out with a major release for DC. Version .4J Download here
Just download the full version (need to be running the most current 1.45 version of BF1942)

Again this game is the best, I've tried to go back an play 1942 but its slow and boring compared to the DC mod. They have a slew of new weapons and vehicles in the latest version. [gun1] [shoot] [gun1]

You guys need to try this, I've no doubt it will be a lan favorite (moreso tha BF was last year) if you all get off your ass's. [demon]

Speaking of lan I just bought my airline tickets for xmas. Can we plan a lan the weekend between xmas and New Years (I arrive on xmas eve and leave Jan. 2nd).

[beer]

Jomama
Member # 56

I won't let you bump my DC post into the dead threads until you try it!!!!! [demon] [Razz]
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link - I will try it soon. I moved the CS posts into the correct forum so your thread won't get bumped anymore [Smile]
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I installed it but now I can't get the game to start - it just blinks on start up. I think I had this problem back when I first bought 1942. There was some fix where I had to go into a txt file and change a line from =0 to =1. Joe if you have any info let me know - otherwise I will seach some forums for the answer.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

I don't remember having to change a txt. file, and I just re-installed my whole system about 3months ago.

You have the 1.45 version of BF right???
Can you still lauch normal BF?

When you add a mod to bf it just adds another game and server list to the existing BF Startup menu/server list. So I can see all BF, DC, and Galactic Conquest server at the same time on server list page if I want. Sorry your having problems, sometimes I've had to re-download a install (actually this time) the patch for my existing version didn't work so I just downloaded the whole new version of .4J.
Good luck.

[beer]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

It's a display driver issue. 1942 does not work either and didn't before I installed the mod. I just need to find the variable I need to change in the txt file. No problem I just haven't had the time to search yet.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still playing this game more than any other. Both with the combat mod and with out.

I more often than not find and all Battle over Britan Map. Great Map!

Everyone get this game with the latest updates and the desert combat mod ready for the lan parties.

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Here is the fix to the fucking refresh rate problem I have with 1942.

Sounds like your refresh rate is higher than 60mhz, try this

pasted from the FAQ

1.02 - The game crashes to the desktop!

Go to: My computer, then C drive, then Program Files, EA GAMES,
Battlefield 1942, Mods, bf1942, then the Settings folder. In that
folder you will see a file called VideoDefault.con. You will want to
double click this file to open it. If it asks you what Program to use
(in Windows XP you will first want to choose "Display a list of
programs for me to choose from), choose Notepad or Wordpad. In there
you will see a line with this command:

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

Change the 0 to a 1 and then Save the file. This will allow refresh
rates above 60 Hz in the game.

This will enable a different refresh rate for every resolution in the
in-game menu.

Jomama
Member # 56

So have you tried it yet or did you just find that??

DC has a full install update it released on Friday. Looks like its now offically gone from Alpha to Beta. This install works on both the BF1.45 and BF1.5 (so battlefield has a recent update too, Phillipines stuff is added in BF1.5)

Hers the new DC .5 Download page. I know theres more mirrors out there but for some reason the offical DC page only lists a few.
http://www.desertcombat.com/?page=download_DC0.5

New map called "No Fly Zone", all the flags are 1000ft up in the air. All aircraft.... just crazy dogfights. Then I think there's a "DAY 2" version of the same map, where you have to blow up the other teams bomber hanger, radar, and radio towers.

[beer]

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
choose Notepad or Wordpad.

FYI:
I changed some things in my registry for CS the other day. Seems I had to use Notepad, cause Wordpad would not save changes to my Reg (possibley vice-versa).

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, finally got 1942 to work on Saturday. And was able to DL the desert combat mod after a bunch of tries - including one where I ran out of room on my hard drive when the download was at 99% complete...

Desert combat is pretty cool. I didn't do much flying but was able to shoot down about 20 blackhawks on that one map that's all in a small town. Seemed about the same as 1942 with most tanks and vehicles just re-skinned but the blackhawks were cool. I just have no idea how to fly them - any advice?

Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant fly those things for shit either. I bet it looks really funny to other players when I try though. Scott, there are some pretty intese threads on a lot of different 1942 sites about how to fly them... best advice is just to read throught them.
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Thanks Mike I will check out a couple sites on my lunch hour. I assume the up/down is controlled by the hatch up down keys which I don't have bound to anything (I can never get out of the damn landing craft in 1942).

I just get them off the ground and headed in the direction I am going and when I am about to crash I jump.... Thinking about that maybe I didn't shoot down 20 of them as a Terrorist yesterday... maybe they just crashed [Smile]

Jomama
Member # 56

I ROCK at the helo's....
Up/Down is just throttle (Less than 50% wont get you off ground, no reverse like planes). All flying is done with the joystick, no keys really needed other than view changes. The twist on your joystick should be should be the tail rotor and allow you to turn right to left.
The big diff between helo's and planes is you with a helo you have to "counter" every move you do. So if you twist and turn right, you'll keep going right until you twist left and counter it to staighten. Much more extensive writeups on the DC forums. I have 3 "View" changes on my buttons on my joystick, switching to the rear view while flying really helps you learn how to control the aircraft, especially trying to hover the helo's. I also will switch to the rear view to see who's chasing me, then switch back to cockpit view to shoot.

I'm sure you know this Klaus, but the tanks are more than just a skin change when you consider preformance and firepower. Tanks were much more death traps in 1942 I thought cause they're too slow. Did you notice the depleated uranium shells dropping the outer casing when you fire the Abrams [Big Grin] ..

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The throttle simply speeds up or slows down the main rotor allowing you to go up or down.
Joystick right/left yaws the copter right and left. You gotta be really careful with the joystick right and left (unlike the planes) or you will end up upside down and will most certainly crash. Same buttons that you use for rudder control are used for rotating the copter on its main rotor axis right or left. These you will use more than any other. They simply speed up or slow down the tailrotor. Thus once you have spun the chopper around to where you want it you have to press the opposite "rudder button" to stop it from rotating and return the tail rotor to the balanced speed to keep it from rotating the chopper. In other words the rudder buttons in the helecopters work the same as the throttle. You are either throttling up or throttling down the tailrotor. Joystick forward and back rolls the thing forward and back and thus makes you go forwards and backwards. I usually use the chase cam for flying the blackhawks and the nose cam for the apache. Because it is hard to tell what the helecopters are doing relative to the ground sometimes. To fly the choppers you have to finesse the controls alot more than with the planes.

Flying the things sure takes some time to get used to.

I have been trying to pefect a flair landing and take off for droping troops into a hotzone with the blackhawks. So that the troops dont have to parachute so far and get picked off. But they are such pigs it is hard to keep em in the air and avoid rpgs.

[ 11-17-2003, 10:35: Message edited by: Chadwick ]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

You guys are the designated chopper pilots for the 27th then! I have tried to fly them a few times and I get so pissed off that I have swore off of even trying anymore. I have since concentrated shooting those fuckers down. I am really interested in riding in a helo if there is a competant pilot though so I look foreward to it!
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is a good site that will help you fly the choppers better. [Big Grin]

DChelecopterhelp

[ 11-17-2003, 11:14: Message edited by: Chadwick ]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Ok thanks Chad that helped alot... I am now able to fly around large blocks with an Atari chopper...

[ 11-17-2003, 12:34: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Jomama
Member # 56

I love getting a good nose gunner to run the MINI gun and stick with it. Mow's down people and other helo's pretty well... just have to try and keep it steady for'em.

I love how the blackhawks now have a mini on both sides. That can be quite devastating if you can stay ahead of the stingers.
[gun1] [gun1] [gun1] [gun1] [gun1] [gun1] [gun1]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck that chopper i still can't fly those fuckers... I can barely get it pointed in the direction of the place I want to eject over... [brd]
Jomama
Member # 56

The thing that helped me is I spent a hour or so one day on an empty/almost empty server just practicing flying. Remember, counter EVERY move you make. You should be able to hold the joystick steady, and throttle up and hover straight up. Practice going in a straight line from there. You push forward on the stick to get going, but have to pull back again or you'll just keep tipping forward and auger in. Twist & Bank to turn, then you have to countertwist & bank to level off. Just keep trying, they're awsome firepower when you get the hang of it.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I have done the empty server thing a couple times but I find the camera angle moving around automatically makes it tough to know what is happening (until it's too late). I try to just get a bit of altitude - twist to turn in the direction I want to go then slightly push forward and then counter everything so I stay even. I find the worst thing to ever do is push the joystick left or right that really fucks me up and I crash.

I will say that I hate players that are really good at flying the attack choppers - they just hover nose down over an outpost and hammer it with rockets. Everytime you respawn- BAMM. I have to get better with firing the rocket launcher at those fuckers.

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

I dont know if any of you are having this problem but beware if you havnt already.

The latest GForce Drivers from Nvidia V52.16 do not work well at all with the DC mod. Buildings go multicolor and sparkle like some psycodelic thing. Some buildings go transparent and sometimes the landscape will fill up like a water fill effect making it impossilbe to see anything.

WARNING!!! DO NOT INSTALL the october 2003 release of the NVidia drivers if you play DC. It makes DC near impossible to play. And, though i have tried, i have not been able to revert to older drivers for some reason. Mainly because it was a fresh install when i installed the latest drivers. I have read that NVidia will address the issue with their next driver release but for now I am screwed.

BF1942 and CS look fine though....

[ 11-25-2003, 11:21: Message edited by: Chadwick ]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I had problems with the last set and 1942. I rolled my driver back to 4.3.45 and I don't have any problems. I think I just found the old driver set on Nvidias site and simply ran the install. Try that or uninstall the latest set, switch to standard vga and then install the older drivers. I don't think the roll back button in XP worked for me.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Im gonna try a beta release (53.03) of Nvidia drivers off guru3d.com tonight when i get home. Since i installed the 52.16 driver after a fresh OS install i cannot roll the driver back with the WinXP utility. I have been unsuccessful in fully uninstalling the driver and trying to install an older one. For some reason the OS does not match up the older drivers with my card. It does not recognise the .inf files as aplicable to my Video card.

Hopefully the Forceware 53.03 beta will work.....

[ 11-25-2003, 11:28: Message edited by: Chadwick ]

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, i finally got around to updating BF1942 and installing DC. Here are a couple things i can comment on after toying around with it a bit:

-The Helecoptors are indeed quite fucking impossible to piolit effectively. The reason is you have to correct for any movement of your joystick with a counter-movement the opposite way in order to keep the hele from continuing that movement. But, the problem is when you pitch (up/down) or roll (left/right) with the joystick, you also enable some rudder movement to some extent. You cant really prevent this even when the joystick is perfectly calibrated (and i have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital). Since the rudder movements are VERY important for hele's as opposed to planes when your flying, this has a huge effect. So, the hele is pretty much constantly moving on all 3 axis and your basically just stuck trying to stop those movements eventually. Maybe if you used keyboard commands to fly it, it would do alright. But with the joystick there just isnt enough precise control.

-The weapons on the planes are FUCKING WEAK. You hit a tank with a bomb on regular BF1942 and its fucking DESTROYED. On DC, i made a direct hit on a tank with a missile from a F-16 and it just kept on rolling. The fucking gun is a pea shooter too and does shit for dmg.

-I do like the new weapons and classes that you can be. I mostly just screwed around with special ops, but im interested to see how effective the sniper is on this mod.

-The tanks FUCKING RULE!!!! Oh man, its so much easier to aim and move its not even funny. For once, you dont have to aim like 2 inches on your screen above the target to hit it when your far away. So, its much easier to hit stuff at long distances. That and their faster and more manuverable.

[ 12-15-2003, 20:20: Message edited by: Ender ]

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Guess the helo's can only be flown by those with real skill
[Eek!] [demon] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

The reason your not doing anything to the tanks with Plane based missles is those are almost all air-to-air missles, although they also work well as anti-personel, and on some light armor. No tanks tho. I know an exception to this is the Hellfire (secondary missle on the helo's) is specifically a anti-tank missle. Sometimes the A10 is also fitted with a missle system instead of bombs. I believe this is a big anti-tank missle. And the bombs on the Su & A10 will kill heavy armor. Planes are tactically more for attacking other planes, and giving cover to ground forces below. Guns on the planes are ok for air-to-air, and again work for anti-personel and light armor.

I haven't used it yet. But one of the new "vehicles" in the lastest update was a .50 Cal BMG Sniper rifle. Its on several maps, and will just be a big sniper rifle sitting on the ground in a room at the Main base for each side. Guess its unreal, and you can get dropped off 5 miles away and snipe people effectively with 1-shot. I've been on the target end in one game, but cant find the damn gun. You either drop/pickup your existing stuff, or you 'enter' it like any other vehicle.

[beer]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I know what you guys are going to say about this. But I think we all should install MS messanger so we can play together. Mike and I use it all the time - there are no popups and you can turn off all the extra shit and make it look just like the "steam" friends list.

With 1942 I can never find anyone even tho I know you guys are playing.

Oh yeah I am scottd9000@hotmail.com
Ryan is rjrs6000@hotmail.com
Mike is mikewilliam@hotmail.com
Brad is dr_olson@msn.com
Hauser is ragecrow@hotmail.com

[ 12-15-2003, 21:56: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im having a slight problem with DC mod: The camera view sometimes wants to spontaneously change views for some reason, even though i dont hit a key. This is really fucking annoying, especially when your shelling someone in a fucking tank and all of a sudden you cant aim [Mad]

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Ill install IM i guess....
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

quote:
Originally posted by Ender:
Im having a slight problem with DC mod: The camera view sometimes wants to spontaneously change views for some reason, even though i dont hit a key. This is really fucking annoying, especially when your shelling someone in a fucking tank and all of a sudden you cant aim [Mad]

I would check all your key assignments make sure there arnt any conflicts of the fire button changing views or something like that.

Guys, leave the helos to the profesionals they are not for the un trained [Razz]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Maybe it's just my new joystick but it seems like it's not centered exactly. When I jump in a vehicle it turns slightly to the right and I have to counter-steer. This really sucks in the heli because it makes it even more tough to fly. Anyway to fix this with a digital joystick???
Jomama
Member # 56

Shouldn't there be a calibration program you can run???

SO how much was this one?

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
I know what you guys are going to say about this. But I think we all should install MS messanger so we can play together. Mike and I use it all the time - there are no popups and you can turn off all the extra shit and make it look just like the "steam" friends list.

With 1942 I can never find anyone even tho I know you guys are playing.

I like this idea. But I've been unsuccessfull at "Alt-tab"ing out of BF and then back in (I can do it in CS without it screwing up the game). I can get out of BF. But when I try to get back in game it just locks up. So I don't think this would work for me.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I am successful about 60% of the time. I can always get back into BF but sometimes when I alt-tab to the desktop I don't get a cursor.

Joe you might try ctrl-esc instead of alt-tab.

While in game it's nice I was also hoping before games contacting each other.

Jomama
Member # 56

I'll typically turn on Steam/Friends when I get home, and just leave it on for a while before I sit down to play. So doesn't that work for before game contacting too. Even if I don't respond, send a IP along if you know where your going. I'll join if I have a message from ya.

I've been sticking to the Gamespy Arena servers that I've posted some of the IP's for, seems to be one of my better connections 100 ping & low lag for me. But I don't have all the IP's for the different ones written down (theres like 7 or 8 of them), and I jump around (they have both BF & DC servers). Go and sort your servers alphabetically and look at the players on the various Gamespy Arena servers and you'll likely find me. Ender came and played on the 24/7 Bashra's Edge one last night.

This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005