Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Battle Field 1942 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Battle Field 1942
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The official release date for the 1942 expantion is Feb 7th. I know Software Etc. will have it in stock that day. Looks pretty cool - new vehicles and maps.

[ 04-03-2003, 09:34: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a BF1942 1.3 patch out. I guess there is a bunch of shit wrong with the patch and another will be released in a few days.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up RTR today at compusa for $19.99 along with a speedpad game controller. I will let you know if either is worth getting.
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speedpad game controller????? Whats that?
Are you replacing the Joystick???

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it's a seperate "keyboard" type device used in conjunction with the mouse. I like to have my palm higher then my fingers - my old keyboard was raised in the frt and I really liked it. Now they do not sell any keyboards that are raised in the frt so I am looking for another solution. The one I got (below) has keys, a thumb joystick, and a throttle control. It's set up to use the keys as movement just like a keyboard but some people move towards using the thumb joystick. If I could get myself to make the switch to the thumb pad I could free up the keys for weapons switching and other stuff. The other function that is cool is the ability to set up multi key macros. This means you could set a key to do multiple commands in a row or even a key to lets say toggle between crouch and standing (one press keeps you crouched). Or dodge that keeps jumping and crouching until it's pressed again. Most of this stuff is available in CS through key binding but the software makes it easier. From the Belkin website configs can be downloaded for almost all popular games.

-

[URL=http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2071&pcount=&Product _Id=107727&Section.Section_Path=%2F%2FRoot%2FNostromo%2E%2E%2EingTools%2Fct_Id>#]Web Site[/URL]

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats pretty cool, I like the idea there, especially using the thumbpad for movement if you could get used to it.

Is this the only unit like it???

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

There are several others. I think thrustmaster makes one that is more expensive. Th n50 is $30. This is the only one I know of that uses keys that are just like standard keyboard keys - the other use round or different keys.

I too like the idea but making the switch will be tough...I hope it dosen't end up in the back closet like the other piles of shit I bought and didn't like. I will let you know how it works.

Jomama
Member # 56

Did you play Road to Rome??? thoughts?
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I haven't played enough yet to say how it is. The 1.3 patch fixed a few things and altered some of the gun sounds which I like. The network code also seems to be better.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I played for a few hours this weekend and for the most part I like RTR. The three new maps that I have played are very well done. Most are in Italy with a combo of small villages and winding rivers. I have found on each map there is a area perfect for sniping and lots of cover. In the 1.3 patch the sniper reload time was cut almost in half so it's easier to snipe now.

I will say that the majority of the "french army" stuff is pretty weak. There is a new bomber that drops 6 bombs at once that is pretty cool. The best new weapon is a tank (I think it's Italian) with a fully armored turret that fires large cal bullets. This tank is tough to deal with. Otherwise, I haven't really noticed any changes.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Joe have you played any 1942 since you got your new computer built?
Jomama
Member # 56

Nope, my game is in the mail somewhere between MN and Alaska.
Jomama
Member # 56

I played this again last night for the first time since xmas. ****ing Chaos!!!! [Big Grin]

I get good ping to that Denver server Klaus so you should look for me there. Have you found any others you like???

I'll have to grab Road to Rome this week.

I don't have my monitor till tuesday so I have to wait at night until my roommate leaves and then plug my puter into his monitor.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

From the press release:

EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD 1942: SECRET
WEAPONS OF WWII FOR THE PC

Award-Winning World War II Game Expansion Pack Ratchets Up Excitement With
New Battlefields, Vehicles and Weapons

Requesting reinforcements! There are new battles to be fought and won.
Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Digital Illusions today announced
that development is underway on the latest expansion pack for the
award-winning Battlefield 1942 PC game series. Battlefield 1942: Secret
Weapons of WWII, scheduled for release in fall 2003, will significantly
enhance the multiplayer combat experience by bringing the most unique and
deadly weapons from the German and Allied laboratories to life on the
battlefields of World War II.

From classified, cutting edge weapons to secret forces and clandestine
places, Secret Weapons of WWII, will add a new level of drama and excitement
to the Battlefield 1942 experience. The expansion pack will feature many
new vehicles and weapons that were extremely powerful, yet experimental.
While these armaments and vehicles are rooted in World War II history, many
never saw actual combat-until now.

In Secret Weapons of WWII, players will engage in war with a choice of up to
46 vehicles to control. In addition to the 30 vehicles introduced in the
original game such as fighter planes, tanks, and aircraft carriers, players
can operate 16 new vehicles including the Horton HO 229 "Flying Wing" that
is equipped with 30 mm machine guns and missiles. Other vehicles consist of
a US Sherman tank with a T-34 Calliope rocket launcher, U.S. T95/T28 Super
Heavy Tank, the Sturmtiger (naval gun mounted on Tiger tank), U.S. Goblin
jetfighter, C-47 cargo plane that will serve as a mobile spawn point, the
American Armstrong Whitworth AW-52 advanced fighter, the German Wasserfall
guided anti-air missile and the German Natter rocket plane. Also, for the
first time, Secret Weapons of WWII will give players the chance to fly and
fight at the same time with a top secret German prototype Rocket Pack.

There will be seven new weapons including one-shot kill knives. Other
weapons include the Bren light machine gun, Remington Auto 5 shotgun and the
Mauser K98 grenade rifle. Players can put these weapons to use in eight
fresh World War II combat campaigns including Peenemüende, a V2 research
facility, and The Eagle's Nest, Hitler's hideaway. All new battlefields
offer unique settings ranging from nightfall during the summer in Prague to
a winter battle in Norway.

In addition to offering innovative weapons and vehicles, the game introduces
British Commando and German Elite troops while enriching gameplay by adding
a new "objective based" gameplay mode. In this new mode, players will be
tasked with a specific objective such as destroying a secret facility in
order to win the battle.

Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII is being developed by Digital
Illusions Canada, a subsidiary of the original Battlefield 1942 Sweden based
developer, Digital Illusions. Electronic Arts will publish and distribute
the game for the PC under the EA GAMEST brand worldwide. The original
Battlefield 1942 game is required to play Secret Weapons of WWII. More
information can be found on the game's web site at
www.battlefield1942.ea.com.

Jomama
Member # 56

Sounds damn cool, cant wait!

[beer]

So after approx 3 months of use, how do you like that gamepad controller Klaus???

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Well I still really like it. I need to design a new profile for Generals, so that I can use it with that. Luke did you purchase the game yet?
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this even possible?:

Game: Battlefield 1942

My most intense gaming experience occured while playing Battlefield 1942. As the match started on the Kursk map, the mad dash for the planes began. Using my best tk avoiding bunny hops, I managed to leap into the cockpit of a nice fighter. I started the engine and switched to the 3rd person view and that is when I noticed a player named, "Suicide Bill" jump on to my wing. To my surprise, he didn't plant dynamite on my wing and instead prepared himself for the flight. I began to move when one of the players, who was unhappy about my excellent plane rush tatics, decided to start gunning down my plane. Luckily, Suicide Bill took a few well placed shots at the player and soon I was free to make my ascent. Mid-flight I was intercepted by one of the other team's fighters and was forced to take evasive action. Meanwhile, Suicide Bill hung on for his life while I twisted and turned to avoid the uncoming fire. The enemy plane dove down right in front of me and flew right below me. At this time, Suicide Bill jumped off my wing and landed on the enemy fighter. I had never seen this before and I'm pretty sure that Suicide Bill had been practicing. A few seconds later I looked at the console to see that Suicide Bill had somehow destroyed the plane, which also resulted in his death. I've never seen anything like that before and will probably never have the pleasure, or luck, to see it again. Suicide Bill earned his name in the most thrilling style.

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Brent until you play the game you will never know what kind of wierd shit can happen. I have had guys ride on my wings (they usually fall off) or the hood of my jeep.
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, im trying to update BF1942 and i havent played it in months. I have version 1.2 right now, and its currently at 1.5. But, the only patches i can find to update to v1.5 are for updating from v1.45. So, what the hell am i supposed to do?? Am i just screwed??

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Go to Eagames.com and follow the links to 1942's official site. Click on patches/updates. You need the 1.5 patch it's like 179m and then the DC patch is like 500m.
Jomama
Member # 56

You should also get the option for a full install. I know it'll be a bigger download but thats what I'd suggest.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Battlefield 1.6 is now out go get it.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new patch is mostly junk at the moment. There are fewer servers, the pings seem to have gone way up, and I get disconnected alot along with the whole server.

The nice things are they added punk buster, a better favorites system, more filters, and the best in game buddies system to date. You click on a friend while in game and select add buddy. That person now shows up on the map in green. They also show up in green when you point towards them etc. Very cool feature now just fix the connection issues!!!

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you still having ping issues. I've only played briefly since I updated to 1.6 but I'm not having any ping/lag issues to the servers in Seattle I normally play on.

We all need to meet on a server so we can at least get each others added to the friends feature.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Ping issues seem to have been resolved. Had no problem connecting last night.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I set up my computer for gaming again (getting ready for HL2). Joe - what are you currently playing? BF1942 or BFV? Anyone playing CS at all?
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did you do to your puter that you had to set it up to play again??

I'm playing cards more than games but.....

CS:Source is out and looks awsome, I haven't downloaded it yet tho. I believe you have to pay (to download or to buy the disc's).

I'm still mostly playing DC. They've said "DC Final" will be release this month. The guys who made DC joined the original BF42 team to help develope Battlefield 2, so the DC final is not by the original team, but there will be some cool new stuff...

Some BF:V, and a DC like mod for BF:V called Point of Existance (POE)
http://www.pointofexistence.com/
However BF:V released a update last week and POE doesn't work anymore, so its down till they release a patch.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a problem playing on my new desk. I am moving my computer and large computer desk to the basement - I like to have a lot of room for joysticks and stuff.

I am going to get all updated tonight with BFV and DC - see if I still remember how to fly the helicopters.

What is Counter Strike source? I saw that it comes with some of the HL2 packages.

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:

What is Counter Strike source? I saw that it comes with some of the HL2 packages.

I believe it is the original CS run on the new HL engine (called "source"), but me not a tech guy so I may have misunderstood what I read. I don't know about maps and all, but I know it looks awsome.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jomama:
quote:

I believe it is the original CS run on the new HL engine (called "source"), but me not a tech guy so I may have misunderstood what I read. I don't know about maps and all, but I know it looks awsome.
Wanna argue about the environment? [Big Grin] [lol] [lol] j/k
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played CS for a while but Kanker is empty and the rest of the servers are "ghey" (that's a term I learned...I'm sooo leet now.)

Anyway, I was looking forward to CS: Source, but I'm so behind I haven't even played Doom 3 yet. [Frown]

BF 1942 and BF Vietnam have been uninstalled...bareley even played them. Sad...

Hi Joe [beer]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I think my Doom3 is available - Mikey got too scared playing it [Smile]
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Joe what about the BFV world war II mod? I am downloading it now, is it any good?
Jomama
Member # 56

Didn't try it, heard it was cool....

Guess I cant get into trading a Mig 29 or a Apache for a slow ass mustang....

Just feels like slow-mo being in WWII equipment...

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Took me awhile to get the damn thing working but I finally did. It's ok - just what you would except, BF1942 guys running around in a BFV like map. Looks like they have only re-done a couple maps so far. Only 5 or so servers were running it.

I cleaned up on Minnesota Counter-Strike server but I am very rusty playing BFV and 1942. I got a new mouse (Logitech MX1000) and I can't get the sensitivity right...arrrrg

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think my Doom3 is available - Mikey got too scared playing it [Smile]

I'll take it.

Hey, have any of you guys bought Joint Operations?

I understand the maps are huge, but they have over 100 people per map...

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've played the DEMO of Joint Ops and it was fun even tho I was fighting against a 4-yr-old! Yes, the maps are rediculously huge (in the DEMO anyway - but I assume the full version is the same) you start on one of two islands and have to jump in a vehicle and make your way to the other island to battle the enemy. It takes a while to get there...

Question: Why would you want a WWII mod for BFV when 1942 is exactly that?

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

quote:
Originally posted by Cremator:
Question: Why would you want a WWII mod for BFV when 1942 is exactly that?

Graphics Graphics Graphics!

They are better and the heads up display is similar to BFV which is a bit better (tells you how long until you capture a point etc)

Jomama
Member # 56

POE added a update today to make it run on the new BF:V version. You should try this one next Klaus, as DC will get this "final" version in the next few days and that will be it for that game being updated... Its not a exact copy of DC, lots of different planes and helo's, some very cool vehicles, some cool weapons kits, all new maps...
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Ok, I will download it tonight. Are the helo controls the same as BF or BFV? I prefer the advanced controls of BF over the simple BFV ones.
  This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005