Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Final Fantasy XI Online

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XI Online
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought it last night...and spent last night updating and building my account.

Anyone ever play this game?

I figured I'd better play it now before WOW comes out...

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard it is fun for the first few weeks until you get to level 50ish (?) Then you HAVE to group in order to gain any experience and it takes you hours to just find people to group with... Let me know your thoughts on it.

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isnt grouping the whole idea behind D&D type games?? Thats why i like NWN on Avlis so much better than most MMPORPG's.

I was going to try out FFXI online since ive always been a huge FF fan, but never got around to it. Let me know what you think Boon.

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say this, it's not really a Final Fantasy game.

It's a MMORPG with the word "Final Fantasy" in it's title. Yes, there are certain aspects that are Final Fantasy specific (Chocobo's, Moogles, Summon spells, etc) but it's your standard "run around and kill things until you can get your levels high enough to go on bigger and better things" MMORPG.

BUT, if you have the time, it is SO complex. There are 8 guilds, if that's your thing, 4-6 WORLDS that you can jump to if you're getting bored in your current world, and job classes upon job classes to build...

I like it, but I don't know how much time I'll have to invest in it. I like certain aspects, but it's so overwhelming. I bought a 400 page strategy guide for $20, and have been reading through that. I just don't think I'm going to have time to turn my Warrior/Monk/Fisherman/Blacksmith into a force to be reckoned with since it takes about 30 minutes of running just to complete one silly mission that nets me 110 gil.

Combat is cool, but you really have to pick your battles. I have been killed by several RABBITS. Talk about embarrassing. [Wink] Certain monsters attack you, but most just leave you alone, allowing you to wander your 30 minutes to deliver blue peas to some silly monk for your 100gil. BUT, it sucks when your running to your little mission point and all of a sudden you get hit for 10 points by a Goblin you were just running by, especially when you only have about 40 HP. [Big Grin]

All in all, it's a really good game if you have time for it. Fame, guilds, missions, quests, classes, levels, crafts, synthesis, etc etc etc etc...a serious committment needs to be put forth to excel at this game.

I'll play it for a while longer, but I will probably be bouncing back to NWN since I haven't beat it.

3.5 out of 5

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Well, I've been playing like crazy lately, and I have to say this: It definitely grows on you.

I restarted my character so I could play onlinine with my brother, as he bought the game. That in itself was quite annoying and stupid. You have to buy a "World Pass" for a LOT of gil, and then when I was creating my new character I had to put in the World Pass password and then I was on the same server as my brother.

Anyway, rather than going with the straight up human/fighter like I usually do, I went with an Elvaan Red Mage. Turns out it's one of the better characters in the game, as it has the ability to attack as a warrior, heal as a White Mage and use attacking magic as a Black Mage, yet use armor.

My brother is all the way up to level 11, I'm only 6 right now, but we're completing certain quests and missions right now. I learned a little about the auction houses (the best way to sell unneeded items, and the best way to shop for new items) but I still haven't delved into the crafting, smithing, fishing, etc etc etc. Sounds like the Star Wars Galaxies "dancing" part of the FF game... but I don't know.

Graphics are awesome, worlds are huge and missions aplenty...and an expansion on the way soon.

[beer]

--------------------
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005