Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Doom 3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doom 3
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comes out tomorrow - anyone excited about this game? I remember Doom 2 - is this supposed to be just a graphical upgrade or a whole new deal?
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whole new deal, though the same basic ideas to the game apply. There will be many of the same old monsters from Doom2, with some new ones added in. The graphics engine and gameplay are supposed to be unbelievible. Not sure how it will compare with HL2, but it should be pretty much as good. It features realistic lighting effects and physics.

The best thing is you will be able to play deathmatches or Coop online for free. I loved Doom2 deathmatches way back in the day, and am looking forward to that same kind of experience with better graphics and gameplay.

I think it is coming out tommarrow, so you should definatly go pick it up this week as it WILL be worth it.

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Multiplayer supports 4 players total.
It continues the Quake 2 storyline (space station on Mars) if I remember correctly - actually might be sort of a prequel as far as the story goes.

Go to www.hardocp.com for two good write-ups on gameplay and hardware...

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, 4 player only multiplayer is lame. But I will go buy this game today for the single player.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Ok, 4 player only multiplayer is lame. But I will go buy this game today for the single player.

I agree. We used to have like 8 player deathmatches on Doom2, which kicked ass. This is very poor descision by the makers of this game.

But im still going to buy it today, because i havnt heard a bad thing about the game yet.

[ 08-03-2004, 09:34: Message edited by: Ender ]

--------------------

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agh!

Too many games...not enough hours in the day...

Let me know how it is.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Just got it today and got done playing for a couple hours. AWSOME!!

The game is so well designed its incredible. I was jumping all over the place at shit creeping up on me, its fucking SCARY as..... well, hell! [Wink]

Go buy it NOW!

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also just finished playing for a few hours - very cool game. Plays a bit like Quake3 (also id software) but with much better graphics. Id recommends playing in the dark with 5.1 sound and I agree that would scare the shit out of you. The story line is basically that a portal from hell is opened up and demons escape. Levels are dark and shit does jump out of corners at you.

Graphic settings (Doom3 demo1):
(GeForceFX 5900 OC to 465/980)
Medium settings 640/480 30.4FPS
High Settings 800/600 23.7

So those are very shitty! I upgraded to the newest drivers and got a much better score.

Medium settings 640/480 51.5
High settings 800/600 40.2

In game I played at high settings 800/600 and fps were decent until alot of action. I think until we all upgrade to the GF 6800 level cards - medium setting will probably be the standard.

Multiplayer is cool but max of 4 players in super lame. Every server is full.

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Yeah, im running mine on the medium setting. Ill check my FPS and get back to you. Whats the latest driver your using?? I think im using the 56.72 Nvidia driver, which is from March sometime, so it may need updating. Any suggestion on what the best driver to use would be??

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using the newest driver on Nvidia's site posted a couple weeks ago.

To run the demo pull down the console and type:
timedemo demo1

To get FPS while in game type in the console:
com_showfps 1

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Ok, i ran the demo and got 40.7 FPS on the medium setting with the 56.72 driver. So, i think i will keep it on that driver since it seems to work well enough. Last time i installed a forceware driver it decreaced my FPS in games significantly.

--------------------

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last three Forceware upgrades did not improve Aquamark, nor did they decrease this time either. As Klaus points out though, it looks like the drivers are being optimized for the latest games and AM3 might be falling by the wayside as far as benchmarks go...
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yes, Ender I would update your drivers - they are optimised for Doom3. As you can see from my results - I got a good bump in fps.

See this article on doom3 benchmarks (the first part is about the 6800 - but then it gives tips about GF5900 level cards)
http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDQ=

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_doom3 _benchmarks.html

[ 08-04-2004, 09:57: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Ok, will do. Ill update tonight and retest my FPS using the demo and let you know what i get.

It just dawned on me what this game reminds me of: Resident Evil 2 when it first came out. That game was freaky as shit too. Doom3 is like a cross between that and HL, but with Doom2 weapons.

I really like how your screen shakes around when your getting torn apart in melee by one of those beast guys. Makes it alot more realistic and prevents you from being able to just pump rounds into shit at point blank.

I also like the storage cabinets and having to find the passwords for them. Gives you something that you actually have to solve in the game.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I like the security code deal also - but it is annoying sometimes to wander around looking for the dead guy holding the code.

I have to say this game still makes me jump when a monster or zombie jumps out of a dark corner at me. I was in a room yesterday that was almost completely dark with about 5 zombies coming at me - had to keep switching between the flash light and shotgun. A lot of flashlight use in this game.

[gun1] [demon]

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Check this BS out. Some religious fundamentalist assholes descided to start a petition to ban Doom3 from the markets. I dont understand, whats their problem with a game where the entire point of it is to kill demons? Ill bet you anything that if you played some preacher that killed them using various crosses and prayers, they would be handing out free copies at church.

Just cause it has blood in it doesnt mean its against your religion. And to that end, what has caused more blood and gore in reality then religion itself? That, and ITS JSUT A FUCKING GAME. Anyways, it makes for some interesting and comical reading at least.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe rl/signed.cgi?kull1522

[ 08-05-2004, 14:37: Message edited by: Ender ]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Come on that's so fake... (I like the spelling of "witch")

quote:
STOP THE UNHOLY RELEASE OF DOOM 3

Doom 3 will contain satanistic sympols witch our precious youth will see! Some claims that they look more forward to doom 3 than the second coming of Jesus Christ. The madness and violence must stop NOW! Don't let ID Software ever release doom 3 or it won't be long before we'll have a youth full of devil woreshippers and another columbine highschool situation

Sincerely,

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

*shrugs* well, it was on the petitiononline website, so i thought it was legit. Its still funny though.

--------------------

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

quote:
I was in a room yesterday that was almost completely dark with about 5 zombies coming at me - had to keep switching between the flash light and shotgun. A lot of flashlight use in this game.
I bet i know exactly what room your talking about. The need for flashlight use is one of the things that makes the game so cool. With the incredible lighting effects, you really do need a flashlight since you might find yourself suddenly in a pitch black room cause the lights go out. This is the shit that really freaks you out, when your getting hacked on and you cant see whats doing it so you just start shooting blind, hehe.

I just have my second mouse button, the one that is set to jump by default, set to switch to my flashlight. And, when your already on your flashlight and you click it again, it switches back to the weapon you were armed with last. This makes switching back and forth very easy so you can pull out your gun right when you spot a monster.

I would also set another mouse button to switch to hand grenades, since its like key#6 and is hard to reach and these are very useful for large groups of those guys with the guns. I also set a mouse key to run, so i dont have to hold down shift all the time.

[ 08-05-2004, 16:05: Message edited by: Ender ]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lighting effects are very cool. I set up my mouse as follows (but I switch controls around a lot so they will probably change)>

Mouse 1 = attack/fire
Mouse 2 = jump (rarely used)
Mouse 3 = zoom (haven't used yet)
Mouse 4 = PDA thing
Mouse 5 = Flashlight

num pad keys 7, 4, 1 are used to switch between weapons. Working well so far - but the monsters are getting tougher and I will need to move gernade to a mouse key soon.

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Have you fought the flying skull guys yet?? Man are those guys fun as hell. They just scream and fly at you and bash the shit out of you. Then, they can also fly above you and divebomb your ass, which is something those couldnt do in doom2. I highly suggest using the machine gun to pick these guys off.

I just got the plasma gun yesterday. The visual and sound effects for it are fucking outstanding. Until i get the rocket launcher, this will be the funnest weapon ive ever used in a FPS game.

--------------------

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Ok, i downloaded the latest forceware driver and it did have a noticable positive effect on my FPS. The demo i did after updating gave me a 54.9 FPS, so it went up by over 14. I decided to switch it to 800x600 with x2 Anti-Aliasing, and still got like 39 FPS or so.

[ 08-06-2004, 10:58: Message edited by: Ender ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005