Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Silent Storm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silent Storm
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 14 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to all the FPS, sports and RPG games, I am also a huge fan of the tactical, turn-based games like Jagged Alliance 2 and the X-Com series.

I heard that this game was coming out last year and (obviously) didn't play it, but I bought it this weekend after downloading the demo.

VERY fun. Tactical, turn based World War II game.

Graphics are good, rag-doll physics for dead bodies, totally destructable environments (including whole buildings), character progression, including a Diablo II style skill tree, and 6 different classes.

I can't tell you how sweet it was the first time I blew the floor open to shoot at the Nazis who were hiding in the basement...

Expansion on the way in September...

http://www.nival.com/eng/s2_info.html

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second that! I love this game - it eventually even has an X-Com feel to it...
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read about the expansion?

Adds one of my favorite aspects to these types of games: scavenging the battlefield for weapons and shit and then selling them after the battle.

Jagged Alliance 2 was a game where you'd sell your spoils and then be able to purchase better weapons, armor, etc...so cool...

Also, Jagged Alliance 3D is also in development. I can't wait...

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd only heard the name, not what it added. I played Jagged 2: unfinished business and am waiting for the original to be $10 than I'll likely snatch it up!

There is another new game coming out called Shadow Vault that I see advertised as turn-based but I can't find out anything else about it. Have you heard of it? It's being distributed by Strategy First, but I don't know the developer. Sounds (in name anway) to a Fallout clone, which brings up Metalheart: replicants rampage which is supposed to be a Fallout clone...

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jagged Alliance 1 is called "Deadly Games". JA2 was the bomb.

I haven't played any of the Fallout games really... I started on Fallout 2 but it felt old and clunky. Maybe it was because it was a copy...

Anyway, http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239771.asp?site=GSBUY

Looks interesting...but not for $35...

--------------------
 -

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfinished Business was an add-on for Jagged Alliance 2 (same game engine, less territory control - pretty much a tactical version).

I played JA1 back in the day and I'll never forget (forgive) it for the time I needed a tactical withdraw but one of the Mercs wouldn't leave (just kept saying "in a minute!") so I lost that battle and sector, then never finished the game...

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Oh shit, I forgot about that expansion...my bro and I were both playing JA2 like idiots, so I'm surprised neither of us have the expansion.

Is it worth re-visiting now that it's in the bargain bin? Or should I put some time into Fallout Tactics? I heard that game was fun...

--------------------
 -

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say they are on-par with each other. Both have a shallow story and really just focus on fighting.
I'll dig around and see if I can't find Unfinished Business and I'll snail mail it to you.

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Cool, thanks!

--------------------
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005