Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » PSP Review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PSP Review
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I bought one..... Got a big per diem check and had $60 in best buy rewards coupons. Total impulse buy tho [Smile]

So far I am impressed with the unit over all. It completly blows away the Gameboy advance. I have two games - Tiger Wood's and Twisted Metal. The graphics are awesome. The screen is 478x272 and a widesceen.
 -

Games are on mini DVDs called UMD discs that hold 1.8gb (I think). Load time isn't too bad but it's still a disc and not a cartridge. It comes with Spiderman 2 UMD disc - very impressive, looks DVD quality.

The PSP also comes with a 32mb Memory Stick Pro that can hold mp3s, pictures, and videos. I got a 512mb card because 32mb dosen't hold much. Video playback is really nice and pretty straight forward to convert files to mpg4 format. There is a simple program that you drap any video file into and it coverts it. Connect the PSP with a USB cable and drag and drop the files. I have converted DVDs, video clips, TV shows, and home videos. I can fit about 2 hrs at the highest setting - looks great.

MP3s are similar to use - just drag and drop onto the PSP and they show up in the menu. For photos it's the same drill - you can do slideshows etc.

The PSP also has wireless 802.11 built in. You can connect through a router or ad hoc to play against others. An internet browser is coming out in the next month also. Pretty cool but I haven't used it yet.

Pros-
Widescreen gaming
Great graphics
MP3 player
DVD and video player
Wireless
Its a Sony - lots of games to come.

Cons-
Battery life about 5-6hrs
Built in speakers weak (use headphones)
$250 for the value pack - pretty high
Games are $30+
Disc format sucks - should have made the games flash memory....
UMD movie discs will be +$20 at launch which is too much.

-

[ 03-30-2005, 12:28: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about grabbing one of these because I have 80 bucks in best buy gift cards to spend. Didnt know it was $250 tho! Ouch! [Wink]

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least for $250 you get a complete package tho. It comes with headphones, remote, case, strap, 32mb card, spiderman 2 movie UMD, and power cords etc. The thing I didn't like about the GBA was the $100 didn't include anything but the unit. You even had to buy a headphone adaptor seperate etc.

But yes $250 is high - but you do get a lot more then just a game system.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully they don't release a Final Fantasy Tactics for this thing...or I'll end up buying one... [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are safe I didn't see any FF in the upcoming list of games. GTA and GT4 are both coming out this summer for PSP tho......

Check this out:
 -

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

I remember selling computers and saying these words:

"64 MB of Ram should be fine, but if I were you I'd upgrade to at least 96, and if you can afford it, jump up to 128." [lol]

Now the sticks alone are 2GB...

[ 03-30-2005, 08:27: Message edited by: BoondockSaint ]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when we paid over 150$ to have our pentimum 90 (yes pentium one) upgraded from 16mb ram to 32mb RAM
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my 486/DX came with 4 Megs of RAM and I had to save up like 70 bucks to upgrade to 8. LOLOLOL. I also remember logging into local BBS with a modem. You know before internet when you actually called the BBS's number at like 2400 baud.
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dad bought a 300 baud modem for out commodore 64...... Talk about slow. It painted the screen line by line in about a minute.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one point my Commodore Amiga was the coolest shit on the block.

It didnt even have a hard drive. 1 flopy disk for booting ("kickstart" commodore dos equivalent)). One floppy disk for "workbench" (sad commodore version of windows desktop)

Then you would put in a disk for any program you wanted to run. They were the NEW advanced 3.5" disks...

Steve probably remembers playing barbarian, fairy tale, and F/A-18 fighter.

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 4 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fairy tale actually was some of the inspiration for diablo.... [Eek!]
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

I remember playing donky kong, mario bros, and raid on bungling bay on the dykstra's Commedore 64 too..
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you have a year Boon...
inal Fantasy VII spin-off coming to the PSP

The action RPG, titled Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII, is tentatively slated to launch in 2006 on Sony's handheld.
Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII (working title)screenshot
See it »

TOKYO--All eyes are on Sony's PSP announcements today, and Square Enix has moved to secure itself a slice of mindshare. The role-playing game publisher today announced another entry in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII series of spin-off games based on its popular PlayStation RPG, this one for the PSP.

Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII [working title] will be an action RPG, and it is currently slated to release in early 2006. The game will be produced by Yoshinori Kitase, who directed the original 1997 game. Tabata Hajime, who directed Before Crisis - Final Fantasy VII, the mobile phone Compilation game, will direct Crisis Core. The character designs will again be the work of Tetsuya Nomura, who designed the characters for FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, and the Kingdom Hearts series, among other Square Enix games.

The official teaser page for Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII has opened on Square Enix's site. GameSpot will bring you any additional information on Crisis Core as it breaks.

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

After FFXII, I discovered that I'm actually getting bored with the actual RPG games, but the Tactics games are the bane of my existence.

Final Fantasy Tactics for GBA:

78 hours in one game, restarted because I wanted to get everything
44 hours into a new game I restarted because I wanted my characters to go in a different direction (and get everything else)
80 hours into current game...have everything I can get so far and am only about 40 % completed...

Then again, I'm a Final Fantasy whore so... [Wink]

--------------------
 -

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Wow, that's a lot of time on a handheld. But compared to the amount of time we have spent playing Wow it's nothing [Smile]
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Wow, that's a lot of time on a handheld. But compared to the amount of time we have spent playing Wow it's nothing [Smile]

Yeah, but the first 100 hours were in Egypt...sitting at a gate working 6pm to 6am shift where nothing happened. [Wink]

--------------------
 -

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klaus do you have any video/dvd's formatted for the PSP yet? I only have a 256 meg card for it so I dont know how big the files are converted...

I purchased the untold legends game and it is a fun little diablo clone that kept me busy for an hour last night. I was able to detect my wireless router at work with it but cant do anything with the connection [Smile]

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yes, I have a few movies converted but they are closer to 512m. You need to download a little video converter (I will try to post it on the ftp today) - and simply drag video files onto it. You can pick different FPS and quality settings to get videos to fit. I downloaded a couple movies on ARES and converted them from DIVX - they look great.

The wireless internet is cool buy you can't do much with it yet. Games are either infastuctor or ad hoc. Ad hoc is for connecting to other PSPs. Infastuctor is for connecting to an internet server. All the EA games were labeled Infastuctor but they aren't. Twisted metal is etc. A internet browser is going to be released soon. There is a hacked version already out. Check out these forums for more info.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation?category.id=psp

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

The big 1 gig cards are still around 140 bucks so it will be a while before I can afford one [Smile]

Do you have the protective film on your screen? I dont know if I should put it on or not.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I don't have a protective film on there - but if you are even thinking of letting your son touch it put it on. [Smile]

Yeah, the 1 gig and 2 gig cards are just coming out so the 512 is the price break currently.

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I cant see how someone would buy this for a kid anyhow. WAAY too much money [Wink] My kid(s) will not even know daddy has this toy...

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Glad to hear you aren't going to destroy it. It's much too nice be wrecked.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Here you go Hauser - Newegg has the 512m in stock now.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-191-417&depa=0

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Klaus, did you have any trouble with the names of your MP3 files? It looks like some come through just fine and the others are blank. IT shows the detail but not the filenames and I am able to play the blank ones fine [Frown]

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I only loaded a few on to try it out. I did notice that a couple didn't show up. Not sure why - try the PSP forum.

Did you get any UMD movies?

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I got it to work by adding the name to the tag for the file and then using the tag to create the name before loading it up.

I bought house of flying daggers. Pretty good flick if you like the crouching tiger type of action. I fit an hour long Soprano episode and the PSP episode of Southpark to watch on the plane. I do have to say the PSP ear buds that came ith it DESTROY the crappy ones that came with my case. I like that they wind down better but I hate the sound on them. One other thing is I was sitting bear the wing and the sound had to be cranked to max to hear the movie so I wish they would have given us a bit more audio on the UMD movies...

--------------------

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the DVD players I've used on planes have been 10x better when I brought my personal Over-the-Ear headphones. Much better noise cancelation to hear the dialog. I cant see any bud style blocking out much of the cabin noise.
Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I bought the Logitech PSP case yesterday. Very nice - protects, you can play while it's in the case, and it allows the PSP to sit up on a table to watch movies.

-

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/520958.asp

Battle Field: Modern Combat on PSP [Smile]

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Check this out. These guys are monitoring their world of warcraft bots on their PSP's using VNC lol. This is CRAZY...

http://www.pspupdates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5840

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

New Update is finally out. It includes web browser etc....
http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP.aspx?id=softwareupdate

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I am posting this from my psp.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Madden 06 just came out for the PSP. Are you buying this one Klauso? An X-Men RPG is coming out also next month that allows up to 4 player coop play. We should look at that one also [Smile]

--------------------

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that if you have the PS2 version of madden you can actually play that franchise on your PSP and then vice versa...wow...that's cool.

--------------------
 -

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I bought it but then returned it before I played it. There were some bad reviews on a PSP site - but it did look cool. I have Burnout instead.
PhantomBear
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhantomBear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got Madden 2006 for my PSP, looks and plays just like the console versions, pretty sweet.

The most notable thing is the fact that you can transfer your franchises between the PSP and PS@, so you can play the same franchise on the road or at home...very cool!

Too bad I console with an X-box :*

Posts: 90 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I finally got around to playing with emulatos for my PSP. I am at 1.5 so I was able to easily load up the emu's for

genesis
snes
nes
gameboy color

I am now in the process of downloading different roms to try.

I played metroid for a few minutes today and that game is still fun! I need some names of good RPG's for these systems so I can have something to search for.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

At the end of this month Sony is releasing the PSP giga pack. It includes everything and a 1 gig memory card worth about $100. Nice deal - should be found for under $299.

-

Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

I am still using 256 hehe I gotta find a cheap 1 gig stick...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005