Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Game Discussion » Day of Defeat: CS Source

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Day of Defeat: CS Source
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This came out on monday. The top HL2 package will allow for a free dwnload of this game, silver and bronze packages I think pay $10 or $20.

My friends over at CSM are playing it.. I know Mozz has tried it. I guess its a snipers dream so far. I really like the source engine for close quarters combat, I've even been playing some CS again lately. I'm gonna see if I can remember to download it overnight this weekend and give it a shot. Only 4 maps so far but I'm sure more are to come.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've played this a handfull of times now...

The main downside.. only 4 maps (and 1 available custom), and a few bugs where occasionally you will "stick" to a teammate and cant move (solution is if one of you lay's down, you become unstuck).

Upside... damn fun.. In the spirit of RTCW, but damn I like the Source engine for close-quaters combat. Gunplay-feel-sound.. absolutely AMAZING... Finally, heavy machine guns that not only sound like a HVYMG, but preform like one too (dont bother shooting from a standing or even kneeling position, or you hit sky lol) but if you lay down.. and better yet "right-click" deploys the bi-pod... prepare to mow down the enemy... More realistic gunplay than even CS has ever had. There are 6 class's.

Infantry- bolt actions, pistol, and barrel launched mortar (more accurate and more range than thrown grenades) Very accurate, but on the slow side. Right click is a short zoom down the iron sites.

Light MG- Tommy gun for U.S. and German equiv. Spray and pray gun.. medium accuracy. Right click is for up close fights, as you punch your target if close enough.

Med MG/support- BAR for U.S. and germ equiv. Right click switches from single shot to full auto. BAR is devastating and can function as a psudo-sniper and med MG. I believe this guy can drop ammo too (one of the class's can)

Hvy MG- MG45 for Germ's, dont remember U.S. guns name. The sound of the MG45 is the most realistic gun sound I've EVER heard in a game... Think saving private ryan quality. They shoot tracers, and you can right-click "deploy" the bipod from both the prone position, and also from the kneel position... You can get behind sandbags or rubble and the like and deploy the bipod on the ledge your kneeling behind.. Just devastating... mow down 3-4 at a time.. But when deployed you only have a cone of range side to side (mabey 45 deg's) so you have to be carefull about being flanked.

Sniper- self explanitory.. right click is scoped-zoom. I just wish these other games would make the scoped zoom like RTCW did (iirc), where the scroll wheel let you adjust the zoom amount.

Bazooka- Secondary weapon, is the semi-auto rifle for the U.S. (M14?) and a full auto pistol/with shoulder stalk for german, so your not this totally vulnerable target when getting to bazooka positions. Bazooka is similar to HvyMG, you right click to deploy, you cant move quickly, but you can move around. And you have a very effective anti-sniper/anti-personell weapon. Its pretty accurate with decent range, but I'm not sure how big the splash damage is yet.

Other nice features... flags are all named, and generally have individual icons, makes co-ordinating with teammates easier better. Minimap shows you when/where nades have been thrown, but you have to be pretty quick to run away.

Good disorienting shell shock affect if your close to a explosion but dont die.

I'd definitly recommend trying it out, it was worth the $20.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive heard alot of good things about it, so i'll probibly download it sometime this week since its relatively cheap.

Now, all they have to do is combine the realistic gun combat of the source engine with BF1942 vehicle gameplay and you will have yourself one kick ass game.

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005