Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » 4x4 Forums » Offroad Discussion » 4runner help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4runner help
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
86 4runner front brakes. Guy quoted me a pretty outrageous amount to do them for me. He wanted 400-450 (ballpark) bucks for each side. I am going to do them myself if he wants that much. Are they difficult?
I have done brakes before but not on a 4x4 truck.
Chad will be helping me.

Best place to get parts? (rotors, calipers, pads)

Thanks guys.

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are easy to do and you can find the loaded calipers for about $40 -$60 a side I think at Checker type places. The rears suck but the fronts are easy.

ps Check you private msg

[ 08-19-2002, 12:15: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I wont be doing the rears. I had heard they were a pain in the ass.

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Alright. Anyone know where I can get a Starter relay for an 86 4runner? Is it a special type?

Checker doesnt carry them at all. Do I need to special order it?

Thanks.

--------------------

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you even look thru the hayens manual to make sure there even is one?

It may just be a bad starter.

Check your book.

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

yup I did.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask Mike he might have a used one to sell you.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I coulnt find one online anywhere.

I dont think that truck has one persay or it is incoperated with something else.

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Ill look some more when i get home.

--------------------

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Try the dealer. It may be a dealer only part.
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as its from a 22r it should work correct?

The only reason I'm asking is cuz my buddy with the landcruiser has a pick up about an 86 with a 22r in it. well the truck is fucked and mean less to say we launched it tell we snapped the frame in half. But I'm sure that you could pull the hole start-relay off if it for shit 5 bucks just to make him a lil bit happier for a day. They only thing is you'd probily have to go out to Montgomery or atleast out here to chaska and get it if he'd pull it for ya. I will have to say though it will be kinda a bitch to get at sence the truck is sitting on top of another truck at his house you might be able to get at the starter still fairly easy. I don't know if it will work for ya though I'll ask him tonight cuz he's stoppin by if he would get rid of the starter or just the relay. I'm high so I'm saying way more than needed so yeah Later Matress

Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try cleaning the battery terminals first. Most people think their starters are going out when really its a case of poor battery maintenace. [Smile] Ask Scott D., he may be able to shed some light on the poor battery maint. issue [Smile] [Smile]

No I dont have one to sell to you unless you want to call Cramer and pull one off of a 4-runner down at the shop.

Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larry
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
buy a new starter you stinge fuck....
Posts: 88 | From: North Idaho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you getting the click click? Or won't it work at all? Whatever - we will look at it on Saturday. I did have a battery maintance problem years ago [Smile] . Now I put new terminals on all my vehicles and clean them regularily.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Yes I am getting the click click.

If I keep turning the key on and off for about 1 minute then let it sit it will fire up. It has only happened two times where it wouldnt fire up like normal and I had to do this so I wanted to fix the problem before it became an actual problem.

Being stingy and buying what you need are two different things [Big Grin] If its the starter Ill just buy one but if its not then I have a new starter just sitting here. Larry, you wouldnt buy an extra Anna Nicole Smith blow up doll when the one you have works fine now would you?

--------------------

Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cramer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like there could be a couple of issues at play here....

Loose nut behind the wheel, operating the key/switch....

Loose battery cables..

Bad ground cable to the block/chassis...

bad solenoid/startermotor...

again, loose nut behind the wheel...

I would say that is probably the case....
poor interface between operator and keyboard.

Posts: 771 | From: Farmington | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

I'll bet it is that ground Cable mike. I remember that was in pretty bad shape when i peeked at it before.
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Thanks for the input cramer. It might be that Chad. It is in pretty shabby condition...

--------------------

Posting God
Member # 20

Icon 9 posted      Profile for .         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've replaced everything except the wire going from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and the yellow truck still has this problem (new key-switch, all new 00 cables, new batteries. The only other thing I haven't replace since the problem started in the Black Hills two years ago is the suspected-good started. I've gone though a number of Toyota (4Runner and Land Cruiser) starters over the years and they seem to have crappy solenoids for some reason. The $300 NAPA rebuild that's in my 4Runner has worked for about 5 years without problems though . . . [knife]
Posts: 620 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Chad and I are going to first replace the starter and do some battery maintenance to see if I can fix the problem.

--------------------

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure if you get one from Checker - buy the $10 life time replacement plan, I have used mine twice [Smile]
Cramer
Poser
Member # 5

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cramer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got that piece of shit going yet hauser-idiot-gay???
Posts: 771 | From: Farmington | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Yeah it seems to be running fine. I havent put the new starter in it yet. Just did brakes, rotors, calipers, and adjusted the drums. It is extrememly sporadic in the click click. It hasnt happened for a week now. Fires up every time. Chad is going to help me when he gets back from the cabin do the starter. He thinks I should change the connections to the battery also.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005