Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » 4x4 Forums » Offroad Discussion » FJ Concept Vehicle (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: FJ Concept Vehicle
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that bumper is very interesting. I almost like it. But for me I am used to the ARB I guess. I love the look of the ARB on my 4Runner - I hope the FJC is as nice.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. Looks decent but I like the ARB because of the place to mount lights and anchors.

-

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.. It comes down to the same options for the 80 as well.. and a different use intended for the bumper... The allpro is def a rock-crawling design, optimized approach angle and such... The ARB is a expedition design.. There is a "selection" of bumpers to choose from, but they are quite different when comparing details... Regardless, cool to see this much stuff being fab'ed up already.. Hope the interest in the FJC is just begining... [Big Grin]

I like the lines of the allpro, but agree its a little unfinished in my head cause there is no tow pts & light tabs. And for the money I want the front crash protection of a ARB. Thats where its most likely to pay for itself. I just like the full bull-bar look.

One thing tho dude, those tabs on the ARB are not D-Shackle winch points.. Its for the High-lift jack adapter. They are not safe to be used as a hard point for winching or towstraps.. They are not built in anyway to handle that load AFAIK.

[ 04-28-2006, 12:39: Message edited by: Jomama ]

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Well I have a shackle hanging on mine and have winched back to it many times. But you are probably correct since it isn't directly attached to the frame.
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, having them there and using it for that purpose does not mean thats what it was designed for [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

From the arb site  -

Its pretty extensively discussed on Mud, along with a detailed mod that added appropriately backed and gusseted tow points where the lift point is currently... I never did much winching myself (didnt have them when wheeling in utah)... Guess its just a matter of how much risk your comfortable with.

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Guess this is Warns bumper concept. I've seen other Warns up close and they dont seem nearly as beefy as an ARB... But I like some of the concept, needs the additional hoops that the Bent.com one has.. But I like the slightly more exposed winch.. Again, cool to see this much stuff getting fab'ed up already.

-

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Got my rock rails last night from Toyota (finally). They are actually really high quality. Here is a photo:

-

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I installed the rails and hitch end of last week. They were both super easy to install and Toyota has some very detailed directions. I hooked up the trailer and am glad to see the rear door will not hit anything when opened.

The rails are nice but Joe you were right they don't cover the entire side. So if you rolled over a huge rock there is a possiblity the rock would miss the rails and hit the body. There isn't much room but some.

Jomama
Member # 56

Yeah, they just dont appear to take into account what has come before them... I just dont get that..

I mean I'm not exactly surprised, that FJforum is a good example.. As the neophytes outnumber those with at least marginal 4x4 experience 10-1... I mean how many threads are that compare sliders and running boards?? They're apples and oranges...

However its just killer that they're a factory bolt on product, couldnt have asked for more, and I truely hope its just the begining of things to come...

Jomama
Member # 56

Sweet aftermarket roofracks

http://www.gobitoyota.com/

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=92328
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3920&page=2

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

My ARB is finally on the way from California... However, it dosen't look nearly as easy an install as the FJ80 was......

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=94646

Jomama
Member # 56

Yeah i saw that, why they didnt make it very simple like the slider install is beyond me. Cause that really is GREAT!.. There is no way they didnt know people would want to replace the plastic crap front bumper...You can do it [Wink] I still like the full prot of the ARB the most...

[ 06-04-2006, 00:28: Message edited by: Jomama ]

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That stock front bumper is a complete abortion.
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

My bumper is here!

You around at all this weekend Chad?

I am still grinding off the last bolt on the 4runner ARB to get it off and the winch and lights off it. Grrr

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

ARB bumper is installed. Looks great. I still need to install the synthetic fairlead and winch rope when it gets here, the turn signals, the fog lights, and the winch control box.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Chad or Mike - either of you know where I can get info for wiring remote switches to my winch? Don't say Cramer either [Smile]
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found two sites that may be helpful:

web page

web page

Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Thanks that top one looks like the info I need.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picked mine up last night.

I really like it but havent been able to flog it yet to get a feel for the engine, in a few weeks....

I like it alot, the adjustability of the drivers seat is great.

Its such a cool looking truck, gets alot of attention.

I like the color keyed interior panels in mine and scotts. But I think they would be lame in the blue or yellow color trucks. Silver would probably be fine as alot of the interior is silver already.

Only two things I miss about the tundra at this point are the map lights? I havent found map lights in the FJ yet....i know it has the dome light, but is that it???

And, secondly the center counsol leaves something to be desired, compared to my tundra. The cup holders could be a bit more functional and it should have a closed compartment with a top (which would make it taller.

Beyond that it is really nice.

The TRD exhaust sounds just great. Low tone that only gets loud when you get after it in higher RPMs.

It dosnt quite handle on the pavement as well as the tundra did, probably due to its smaller swaybars, what seems like a higher center of gravity and its wheel base. But I didnt get it for cornering.

I found a nice little spot to mount my QuickAir air compressor under the hood already!!! [Big Grin]

Funny thing: I wont be able to lift it or get bigger tires until i get a new place. With the roof rack it is almos to tall to pull into my garage already! [Eek!] Clears by about 1.5 inches.

Definetly getting the bull bar and the foglights for the bar ASAP (which may still be a year away.)

[ 06-16-2006, 04:51: Message edited by: RockLobster ]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Get used to using the driver side compartment on the dash. Seems a bit silly at first but now my wallet sits in there 24/7. It would have been nice to have an enclosed center console but since there are arm rests I guess the decided to pass on that.

There are no map lights [Frown] Just two dome lights.

Behind the driver side headlight there is a plug you can unplug to disable the daytime running lights. Why disable you ask? If you add expensive bulbs like I did you won't want them on all day.

I am putting my winch controller probably the same spot you are going to put your truck air. I assume on top of the passenger side wheel well.

I installed this extra 12v outlet for my ARB off the sub constant power.

-

Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:

Behind the driver side headlight there is a plug you can unplug to disable the daytime running lights. Why disable you ask? If you add expensive bulbs like I did you won't want them on all day.

So did you get more HID's? What bulb style is the FJC?

There is a guy on Mud who did all typse of research on avail bulb upgrades for the 80. The "IPF" bulbs that slee sold were actually rebadged GE HID bulbs... I was able to buy a set of these Low beam GE HID's from a John Deer supplier for about $60 for the pair.. I had to shave down a little nub on the plastic housing and then they functioned just like the stock 9006 bulb...

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:

I installed this extra 12v outlet for my ARB off the sub constant power.

Thats your install? Where you able to just pick the plate up off ebay or something? Did ya have to cut or does it replace a blank?
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I think the lights are 9003s. I just got the Silverstar's for now but I plan on doing PIAA lights and replacing the lights in the mirrors to match.

That is my actual install in the picture. That plate is where the factory installed AC inverter plug is. I just popped it out and unplugged it then used a hole saw to install the radioshack 12v jack. The sliced into the subs constant power.

Jomama
Member # 56

So you have High/Low in one bulb??

I tried the Hella's 2x from Danial Stern Lighting and they are absolute crap... Seems some of the companies that used to produce real high quality bulbs for Hella no longer do..

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=11932
The guy Cary who wrote that faq also has a really LONNGG thread on there all about lighting.. Will teach you a hole shit load about wavelength, visable light spectrum and a whole bunch of technical details... White light = The best..

And in the previous post.. I meant HIR's... not HID.. HID would require more mods, ballast, etc... Thats whats on lots of the Euro Cars... and what all the ricer modders try to copy with their lame colored bulbs... Which actually output less usable lite even if they are brighter... The HIR's are a GE bulb that may be rebadged...

You want to find HIR bulbs if your interested in something similar to those IPF's you had that will also last a while.. I'm not familar with what PIAA offers in the bulb department..

[ 06-16-2006, 08:19: Message edited by: Jomama ]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yeah, they are high/low in one bulb. I used Hella bulbs in my cruiser until I got sick of replacing them all the time. I prefer the whitest blubs I can find. The GE silverstars are decent for a auto-store bought light but aren't as nice as the PIAA or old Hellas.

I really want to get some Lightforce driving lights on my bumper but they are so expensive. Compared to IPFs they are much brighter.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Did you see this Chad?

-

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Hmmm. Interesting, i wonder how it increases horsepower, does it retard the timeing after sensing knock from regular? If that is the case how does it reset? Or does it let the thing knock from time to time checking to advance the spark. If the computer is messing with the timing based on knock sensor imput and that is what causes the HP difference I would not run 87...

I think ill just run premium...

[ 06-16-2006, 10:35: Message edited by: RockLobster ]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

That's all I have run so far.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Which sucks, because now both my vehicles require premium....
larry
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of our Subarus are supposed to be fueled with preminum, so I compremised and get mid grade. No problems with pinging. Also one gas station offers mid for the price of low.
Posts: 88 | From: North Idaho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikey
Po Po
Member # 42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's exactly what Paul Brant on auto talk on am1500 on the weekends suggests. Find one of the many stations that sell mid premium for same price as 87 and run that. If no pinging your good to go!
Posts: 486 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

I dont know what people are complaining about when it comes to the sight lines on this truck. I think its fine. I have driven cars that are better but I have driven (and own) cars and trucks that are alot worse.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

After a couple days you don't notice anything. They aren't "bad" just different. It is funny to get into a car after driving only the FJ for a few weeks and to wonder why the damn rear view mirror is so close to your face... (the FJC rearview is super far away on the windshield)
Jomama
Member # 56

The LOS did not seem as big a deal to me... No different than a pickup with a topper on in...

But asthetically I really didnt like that they "faked" the rear corner windows... There is no way they couldnt have come up with appropriate structure & strenght w/out robbing that small amount of space around the windows on the inside...

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I have had the entire right side interior off to install the XM. I think they could have made the windows a bit bigger. As it is the trim covers up a couple inches all around.

But they should have made the port hole window the same size on the inside as they appear on the outside.

Jomama
Member # 56

Not sure I would do it myself but I like this guys thinking.... Would still prefer a component style removable hardtop... Thats the only way I can envision them having a open top w/out loosing the rear doors... B pillar stays in place as a roll bar..

-

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2599

[ 06-21-2006, 09:00: Message edited by: Jomama ]

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

That one would be a little messy as the dome light is right in the middle of that area.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Got my winch wired and the solenoid mounted inside the engine compartment. It actually works. Received the nylon "cable" yesterday but the nylon rollers are back-ordered I guess so I will need to run the alumu cable this weekend. My Dad and I might try to wire the interior switches this weekend at the cabin. Looks somewhat easy.
Jomama
Member # 56

So you got actual rollers? I was under the impression that the fairlead (sp?)plate was recommended for synth winch ropes...

Gotta link?

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I wanted to go with a Haus fairlead but the ARB is designed for rollers. I found this place that sells replacement rollers.

-

http://www.winchline.com/fairleads.htm

Jomama
Member # 56

Had not seen those before but it will certainly work.
  This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005