Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » 4x4 Forums » Offroad Discussion » FJ Concept Vehicle (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: FJ Concept Vehicle
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch Chad, thats gotta hurt twisting that stud off when you were attempting to be carefull and do it proper....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=92818

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,

The little anoying issues are mounting...

Broke one stud and I think i twisted two others, I have not bothered to take the rotor off and look at them yet but will proabably do it on sat.

I've got a very anoying rattle that almost sounds like a squeek somewhere in the back. It sounds like it is on the left side (might be the emergency tire tools) but I have not tracked it down yet. It could also be the roof rack but it sure sounds like it is inside.

As with the tundra and from what I hear MANY MANY other toyotas the seat rails are really cheap for some reason. I had the seat rails replaced in the tundra under waranty and now the ones in the FJ seem loose and cheap also.

I guess its all 1st model year stuff....but the wheel studs concerns me. I am going to pursue this further with toyota and possibly have the stud tested at the U. Since I worked (for a class) in the lab where they have the hardness testing equipment I might be able to get someone there to do it for me....

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, my OME suspention is delayed because of a train de-railment...... I hope it's ok.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol.. My dad and I were just exchanging a few emails and about the third one in he is like...

"Do you know much about the Toyota FJ Cruiser?"

[Eek!] Just when you think you know your own family... [Confused]

So I gave him the skinny and ask what this is about?

"do you think your mom would like one?"

lol... He had been interested in the Sequoia (sp?) cause of the size but mabey he is realizing its too big, or too much of a gas hog... I'm still trying to get him to go after a low milage Lexus GX470 but I think he believes they are far to spendy..

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh yeah get them to get a 470. Love those trucks.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps a 4-runner?

Probably could get an 06 right now for under invoice...

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

FFR: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104663

Info and some Pre-FJ history of the rear diff being grenaded under moderate stress.

Jomama
Member # 56

Slick rear bumper.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8151

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Chad and I installed the lift yesterday. Went very well and the truck sits how it should now - level. Only scary part was cranking down the spring compressors on the heavy duty springs.....

I should get my tires this week. I have a deal worked out with Firestone to trade the tires I am getting from the tire recall for new 285 70 R17 Revos. $400 for 5 with road hazard. I hope I don't get the bait and switch when I get to Firestone.

Jomama
Member # 56

Spy shots of 2008 LC

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/13/spy-shots-toyota-land-cruiser/

Kitty
Chili-head
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, Scott's going to want to buy another new truck!
Posts: 109 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

I doubt it, you could buy 2 FJ's for the price of the LC...

If they dont "at least" offer me some form of removable top for the FJ , I'll be looking at used 100 series or mabey a used GX470..

[ 09-14-2006, 12:11: Message edited by: Jomama ]

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I like the 470 alot. And I don't have 70k laying around for the new LC.
Jomama
Member # 56

I do too, I really like the lines of it, but I wish they were available w/out all the plastic body cladding around the lower part of the truck.. My parents keep saying "it looks so skinny" but I think its an illusion from the lower body cladding. Its got as wide a center console as a 4runner, probably same width as an 80 series...

I'm dreaming tho, I doubt even a used one would make it down into my price range...

Jomama
Member # 56

The SE FJ is teh gHeY!! [Mad] [brd]
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Yeah, black roof and upgraded shocks for 4k? WTF

I have to say it looks way better with the white roof.

Jomama
Member # 56

Dont forget the red painted shocks... [Roll Eyes]
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Typical Toyota. Give it stickers and colored shocks and it suddenly has infinatly more off road prowess.

I think they had a tough time with this one being the regular FJC is nearly or IS as capable as the Rubicon already.

Jomama
Member # 56

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/trails/ua2006/ua2006_main.htm

Slee OR, the Ultimate FJ, and the short bus. (and some other topless 80 i've not seen before)...

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Bad ass FJ.
Jomama
Member # 56

If you have time for a little reading... Check this out..
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=116257&page=2

and watch the Mud guys lite up on this kook...

He say's he's suing Toyota over several issues he has with the FJC, one being that his emissions EXCEED the standards of where he lives, [Confused] and is wrongly robbing him of the advertised horsepower which affects his 200 mile daily commute that he does at times in excess of 90mph sustained... [Roll Eyes]

You would think Troll, but I'm not so sure... entertaining nonetheless...

Jomama
Member # 56

FJ built to run Baja... Sweet
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/14048-fj-cruiser-race-truck.html

Jomama
Member # 56

Another SEMA truck...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=118087

According to the last poster, a Toyota Exec said the FJC "ute" version is a pre-production model...

Love the sliding ragtop, would prefer a full removable hardtop, but it will do..

The one off custom convertable FJC looks too much like a VW Thing for my taste..

Jomama
Member # 56

Oh yeah, saw the first press release a week back or so... But toyota has teamed up with Isuzu to build Diesel... The first article (on mud somewhere) mentioned the development of mid-sized diesels for North America...

There will also be a twin turbo V8 diesel in the new Land Cruiser/Tundra

Jomama
Member # 56

The Millen FJ placed 2nd in its Class in the Baja 1000.. Was in the lead till the end when their ECU broke and they had to finish the race in "limp" mode with a motor that wouldnt go above 50mph..

FJ Cruiser finished 2nd, missed 1st by 34 seconds

STOCK MINI (Stock, mini trucks)—
1. Dan Fresh, San Juan Capistrano, Calif./Sean Douglass/Dale Godges, Irvine, Calif., Mitsubishi Raider, 34:36:44 (30.27mph);
2. Rod Millen (New Zealand)/Ryan Millen, Newport Beach, Calif., Toyota FJ Cruiser, 34:37:18;
3. Rod Hall, Reno, Nev./Emily Miller, Crested Butte, Colo./Mike Winkel, Reno, Nev., Hummer H3, 36:37:17;
4. Gavin Skilton, Orange, Calif./Kevin Jensen, Apple Valley, Calif./Clive Skilton, Orange, Calif., Honda Ridgeline, 42:51:25. (6 Starters, 4 Finishers)

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/rally/34064/

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

I saw an FJ last week from a distance. It was all black or dark grey. I didnt think the TRD edition was out yet but i was either that or some owner simply couldnt stand to look at the white top and had it painted...
Jomama
Member # 56

The TRD's are being delivered...

Not hard to develop a "special edition" when its all bolt on crap..

Jomama
Member # 56

Pretty cool news IMO... Only good will come of this... Both make great vehicles...

quote:
Thinking Big: new law opens path for Toyota takeover of Subaru

Toyota has been eying a takeover of Fuji Heavy Industries – Subaru's parent company – for some time now. When General Motors ditched its 20 percent stake in Fuji back in October 2005, Toyota snapped up 8.7 percent and the two have been undertaking a series of joint ventures since.

But that wasn't nearly enough for the Toyota Motor giant that's getting closer and closer to the #1 global automaker spot with each passing day. An acquisition of Subaru would bring them even closer, if only they could.

The one obstacle standing in Toyota's way until now has been a Japanese law that prohibits any single company from controlling more than half of the domestic market for any particular product – automobiles, in this case. Between the two of them, Toyota and Subaru commanded a hefty 45.6 percent of the Japanese car market in 2006, and that's mighty close to the limit. However, new Japanese anti-trust laws taking effect in April will refocus the criteria on the company's global market share instead of domestic, in a bid to help Japanese companies compete in export markets.

We'd expect Toyota and Fuji to take advantage of this move by the Japanese government. Corporate maneuvering aside, the potential for Subaru's influence on Toyota products has us daydreaming of serious STi-ness trickling down through the entire Toyota line-up.

and btw.. Where the hell did this (my) signature pic come from?? I certainly didnt add that to my profile...
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I am the only one with admin on this board and I didn't touch your signature picture....... Wierd.
Jomama
Member # 56

Nice looking rear bumper from Allpro.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=139222

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

quote:
Originally posted by Jomama:
Pretty cool news IMO... Only good will come of this... Both make great vehicles...

I would doubt this will affect toyota vehicles at all. But it could affect subaru's quality control significantly. Subaru does make good cars but, like every other car company except maybe honda, they are not up to par with toyota.
Jomama
Member # 56

quote:
Originally posted by RockLobster:
I would doubt this will affect toyota vehicles at all. But it could affect subaru's quality control significantly. Subaru does make good cars but, like every other car company except maybe honda, they are not up to par with toyota. [/QB]

3 words I can think of that describe how suby can help toyota out...

Affordable, AWD, Sportscar.....

the flip side is obvious, Toyota can help suby with quality & production philosophy, (I'm sure there are other financial-business reasons too) not a huge problem for suby by any means...

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Well they have already had that, a number of production years.

The celica was avaliable AWD for a while....

But, like many of the jap car companies they never bring the cool stuff to america.

The list is endless:

Nissan Patrol
Nissan GT-R
Toyota Solid axle 100 series
Toyota Diesel
Toyota 70 series
Only Recently did the STI versions of the WRX hit america.
96-02 RX-7 Including the Performance Model Efini and Type-R
91-92 RX-7 Infini
Honda Civic Type-R
Nissan Sylvia

There are about a 100 more examples of which i cant think of right now.

Jomama
Member # 56

Yeah but its been about 15 years since the Celica Altracs... I've been keeping my eye out for one forever and they are just too rare.. I still dont see any downside to them getting together..
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

That's right some of the late 80s early 90s celicas were AWD in america, must have been the 94-99 GT-four that wasnt in america as an altrac
Jomama
Member # 56

Pretty cool, you guys might be interested... Some Factory Rack accessories, including a nice looking basket that goes in the forward part of the factory rack and clamps to the factory rails... Guy who posted it on the FJ forum said $510 for everything including the wind-dam..

http://www.wildernessracks.com/roof_fjcruiser_advrack.html

They also make a full & half rack to completely replace the factory, but the full length one has a odd downturned section at the back to follow the roof line.. I like the gobi and arb better.

Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a nice truck, when I pay off my Matrix and get done with school, I am eyeing an FJ. Scotts is very nice, the room Toyota has put into the cab makes me feel like a midgit. I am not 100% sold on the lower viewing area with the high dash. What complaints do you guys have with your?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

You get used to the visability pretty quickly. It is a change the dash is way out in front of you. I never had a problem with the rear visability but some that aren't used to trucks and using mirrors complain about that.

I hated the tailgate at first but now I actually love it. Swings out like a door making it easy to put stuff in.

Roofrack - I wish I could afford the ARB one that would rock. They need to release the OEM front wind deflector with cross beam asap.

Front bumper sucks - ARB replacement.

OEM tires suck - replace asap.

Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info, I'll finish school first so its a year away. I have been pleased with some stuff i read about the FJ's. And It fits my needs. Monkeys folks just purchased a cabin in the Bemidji area, so I might need to do some towing etc in the future. I know I am cutting timber and putting in a slip in a few weeks. Stupid me for having a few sets of waders.
Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Suposidly "official" news on the 08 FJC from a Canadian Toyota saleman...

Looks like Chad may have a future uber-rare color...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/28073-official-2008-fj-cruiser-info-canada- anyway.html

quote:
I sell for Toyota in Canada, and we have just got our initial specs for the 2008 FJ Cruiser today. I will try to list changes briefly below:

DELETE COLOR: Black Cherry Pearl (02JT)

ADD COLORS: Iceberg (0058), Sandstorm (02JY), Brick (02JX)

ITEMS ADDED AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT (all packages):
-Front Seat Mounted Side Airbags and Roll-Sensing Front and Rear Head/Side Curtain Airbags
-Engine Immobilizer
-Rear Window Wiper/Washer
-TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
-Front Seat Side Sun Visors

PACKAGES:

1. BASE PACKAGE
-see standard equipment changes above

2. New OFF-ROAD PACKAGE replaces the B PACKAGE
ITEMS ADDED:
-16" Unique Alloy Wheels
-P265/75R16 BFG M&S Tires
-Front & Rear Bilstein Shock Absorbers
-Front Passenger Armrest

3. C PACKAGE
ITEMS ADDED:
-SubWoofer to FJammer Audio (remember, this is changes to the Canadian version, we couldn't get the sub before)
-Front Passenger Armrest

Still have your choice of Automatic or Manual Transmission, although the Manual gets dinged with the Canadian Government's Green Levy for $1000 for 2007 - probably will be the same for 2008!

Enjoy! I'm going to hold off until at least 2009 before I trade my 07 FJ in I think.

This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005