Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Movie & Music Forums » Movie Reviews » The Village

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Village
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decent movie. Didn't scare me near as much as Signs, but still good. Story seemed a bit rushed but a cool outcome in the end.

3.5/5

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie should not have been advertised as a horror movie. There was one scene where I jumped a little but other than that, not scary at all. Decent story and the acting was well done. Adrian Brody reminded me a lot of Luke...

3/5 I believe that M Night Shyamalan has one last chance to make a really good movie before he will get a bad rap as a one trick pony.

[ 08-09-2004, 08:13: Message edited by: Hauserdaddy ]

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not impressed and was generally bored throughout the movie.

Being that it was fairly obvious 20-25 mins into it exaclty what was going on it just drug on and on after that.

2/5

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sixth Sense - 5/5
Signs - 4/5
Unbreakable - 3.5/5
The Village - 2/5

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chadwick:
The Sixth Sense - 5/5
Signs - 4/5
Unbreakable - 3.5/5
The Village - 2/5

Here is my version:

The 6th Sense - 0.5/5 (fuck that little kid actor)
Unbreakable - 3/5 (probibly his best movie)
Signs - 2.5/5 (not great, but not as bad as 6th sense)
The Village - 2/5 (at least we agree on this one, not a good flick)

I really dont like any of this guys movies. Their original, ill give him that. But they just dont catch my interest or come off as scary. Too predictable, even though he tries to make them not be. Club Dread, not THAT is scary! [Big Grin]

[ 08-09-2004, 14:14: Message edited by: Ender ]

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say Signs and 6th sense were the best - very original. I like that signs had real aliens in it - and a battle at the end.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think his movies are creative as hell, but his curse is not a new one:

His first movie was so good, and so creative that nothing he'll ever do will match it. So, people say his new shit sucks, and he sucks as a director.

I personally enjoy his movies and try and stop myself from comparing them to The Sixth Sense too much. That's why I didn't like 'Unbreakable' as much as I liked 'Signs' (because I was comparing Unbreakable to Sixth Sense the whole time)

Anyway, I haven't seen it yet, but would like to.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the problem is people don't understand this guy's genre or have the wrong expectations for his moveis. They're not horror or thrillers, they're suspense, as perfected by Hitchcock (of course, The Birds probably crossed the line into horror - fuckin' creepy!). I don't think Shamalyn or anyone anytime soon will ever touch what Hitchcock did with suspense but he still does a fine job. I agree with what Eric said, you do constantly compare his movies with The Sixth Sense and that's a tough one to ever top. It's nice to see a director bringing this genre back.

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem lies in the advertising for these movies. Tons of movies are advertised as something they are not... I go in thinking I am going to get scared and I don't. I think it will be an action movie and it isn't...I understand that money is the main reason to advertise a "genre", but It still pisses me off.

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Michelle wouldn't go see The Village with me because it looked so scary. In the end I had to go without her and I think she would have liked it.

The bait and switch of advertising is here to stay. See any Fox preview for upcoming shows - they always include footage that isn't even in the next episode.

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally saw it...

Agreed, this one wasn't nearly as good as the other ones. BUT, the filmmaking portion was very well done.

At the end I was like, "No way it's going to end that way" actually pissed me off...thought it was a stupid way to end a perfectly decent buildup. [Mad]

2.5 out of 5

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like M.Night and his movies.. He thinks outside the box, and doesnt bend to cliche'd hollywood crap....
Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have yet to see the sixth sense. I just watched unbreakable. His first movie I saw was signs, witch I think is a lot like close encounters but, it is a little creepy with the whole alien's invading your home thing. I loved the village, if the story shifted a bit it wouldn't have been so predictable. I also like unbreakable, from my youth reading comics. I will rate the three without the "benchmark" set by the sixth sense.

Signs 3.5/5
Unbreakable 3.5/5
The Village 4/5
Sixth Sense ?/5

--------------------
 -

Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005