Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » Current Events » Northstar commuter line

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Northstar commuter line
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This communter rail looks alot more promising then the Light Rail did.

http://www.northstartrain.org/

-

Pawlenty finds money to kick start Northstar commuter line
Associated Press
August 3, 2004 NORTHSTAR0804
Acting without the Legislature's approval, Gov. Tim Pawlenty said Tuesday he has found a way to funnel $22.5 million to kick start work on a commuter rail line connecting Minneapolis to its northern suburbs.

``We need to move forward with efforts to relieve traffic congestion,'' Pawlenty said in a written statement.

In recent sessions of the Legislature, the Northstar line has been one of the most hotly debated subjects. Pawlenty opposed the idea as a lawmaker but changed his mind as governor. He said he'd been swayed by research that showed the line, revised to extend only 40 miles to Big Lake rather than to St. Cloud, made financial sense.

Pawlenty's plan includes using $2.5 million in money from the Metropolitan Council to leverage $10 million in federal matching funds. That money would be used for land acquisition along the corridor and to continue work with the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, which owns the line.

The federal money was slated to be lost if not tapped by Sept. 30, 2004. The Northstar Corridor Development Authority, which represents local communities along the planned line, has pledged to contribute an additional $10 million to be used to help design the effort.

The total project is expected to cost $265 million. The Metropolitan Council is expected to vote on the proposal as early as next week.

Council Chairman Peter Bell called the move ``an important step to keep the project on schedule and I look forward to working with the Legislature as we seek final funding.''

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now the Rednecks can pipe-in to the Megamall to fight with the Mpls gangs?
Where is the monetary benefit for all this shit?

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt the rednecks will make it all the way to the MOA.... there is no Polaris dealer there. [Smile]

The "claim" is this (but I think it's BS).

5. Northstar commuter rail’s benefits to the state outweigh its costs.

For every federal, state and local dollar spent $1.15 in benefits are created. The State of Minnesota will realize a benefit of $2.97 for every dollar it spends on Northstar.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I support a Flat Tax or National Sales Tax, so these money-number-crunching accountants can't make this stuff up.
Though you'd be out of a job? [Eek!]

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll belive that (payback) when I see it.
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky I don't do taxes anymore [Big Grin] ...... More of an analyst now.
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't they worry about covering the inner metro area before they even contemplate St. Cloud?? It took me almost an hour-and-a-half to get to Plymouth via Hwy 100 the other day. How 'bout a light rail in THAT corridor or I94 between Mpls/Stp.

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Welcome to commuting in the big city! I believe that more lanes and upgraded roads should be where the money is spent.

The allure of commuter rail (even for a republican like Paulenty) is that it's pretty cheap compared to building a railway from scratch like the Hiawatha line. The tracks exist and can be used with minor modifications. The idea is that people will take the train from St.Cloud/biglake/Fridley instead of using 94, hwy 10, hwy 169 which are all parking lots. Commuter rail is very successful in cities like Chicago. A lot of people live in Milwakee take it to work in Chicago each morning.

[ 08-03-2004, 20:28: Message edited by: Klaus ]

ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I've been commuting in the big city for years now but haven't seen 100 that bad, I think it was 394 related. That highway doesn't seem to get any better even after 4 bloody years of construction and 'improvements'. That's what irks me the most, when they decide to improve a clusterfuck highway or interchange. They spend years doing it and then when it's done, oh boy, they added 1 lane, a center median the width of two lanes and wider shoulders. A road that was completely unsuitable for handling current traffic levels becomes barely suitable after the project and in another 10 years, it's as bad as it was before and it's time to do it all again. And of course, construction doesn't get any cheaper. I wish they'd plan for the future instead of just 'plugging the hole'.

I didn't realize the proposal was heavy rail, that makes a lot more sense.

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005