Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » Current Events » Wireless Access for all.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wireless Access for all.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read down a bit.

Philly Considers Wireless Internet for All

By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - For about $10 million, city officials believe they can turn all 135 square miles of Philadelphia into the world's largest wireless Internet hot spot.

The ambitious plan, now in the works, would involve placing hundreds, or maybe thousands of small transmitters around the city — probably atop lampposts. Each would be capable of communicating with the wireless networking cards that now come standard with many computers.

Once complete, the network would deliver broadband Internet almost anywhere radio waves can travel — including poor neighborhoods where high-speed Internet access is now rare.

And the city would likely offer the service either for free, or at costs far lower than the $35 to $60 a month charged by commercial providers, said the city's chief information officer, Dianah Neff.

"If you're out on your front porch with a laptop, you could dial in, register at no charge, and be able to access a high speed connection," Neff said. "It's a technology whose time is here."

If the plan becomes a reality, Philadelphia could leap to the forefront of a growing number of cities that have contemplated offering wireless Internet service to residents, workers and guests.

Chaska, Minn., a suburb of Minneapolis, began offering citywide wireless Internet access this year for $16 a month. The signal covers about 13 square miles.

Corpus Christi, Texas, has been experimenting with a system covering 20 square miles that would be used (for now) only by government employees.

Over the past year, Cleveland has added some 4,000 wireless transmitters in its University Circle, Midtown and lakefront districts. The service is free, and available to anyone who passes through the areas.

Some 1,016 people were logged in to the system at 2:20 Tuesday afternoon, said Lev Gonick, chief information officer at Case Western Reserve University, which is spearheading the project and paying for a chunk of it.

"We like to say it should be like the air you breathe — free and available everywhere," Gonick said. "We look at this like PBS or NPR. It should be a public resource."

In New York, city officials are negotiating to sell wireless carriers space on 18,000 lampposts for as much as $21.6 million annually. T-Mobile USA Inc., Nextel Partners Inc., IDT Corp. and three other wireless carriers want the equipment to increase their networks' capacity.

One part of the 15-year deal is cheap Wi-Fi phones for neighborhoods where less than 95 percent of residents have home phones. IDT, which has agreed to market the cheaper phone service in those neighborhoods, would pay lower rates for poles there than other companies would in wealthier areas.

Wireless technology has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years and become drastically less expensive.

The new "wireless mesh" technology under consideration in Philadelphia has made it possible to expand those similar networks over entire neighborhoods, with the help of relatively cheap antennas.

Neff estimated it would cost about $10 million to pay for the initial infrastructure for the system, plus $1.5 million a year to maintain.

Philadelphia Mayor John F. Street, a technology buff who carries a wireless handheld computer everywhere he goes, appointed a 14-member committee last week to work out the specifics of his city's plan, including any fees, or restrictions on its use.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actrally have been in the process of changing over to this. I didn't see good results the first few times I tried it seemed like 56k. they say they've resolved the problem and I"ve been going to hook it up again and try it out just havent got to it yet. I'll let you guys know how it works out. but yea its like 15 something a month. hell why not try it out for that right?
Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great for on the go internet use. I am not too keen on if for home use or gaming. I think the latency is pretty bad with all the wireless issues.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of the other DoW's has wireless and he's more than happy with its gaming performance. They say that it should be just as fast up and download's as cable or dsl, so I guess we'll see. I'll add more when I try to convert it over agian later this week.
Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is your wireless access in Chaska Boon?
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 8 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, a little frustrating.

The modem itself keeps losing the WLAN signal, but I contacted the 2 man support team and they told me to come down and pick up a amplified antenna.

I will be hooking it up tonight.

It was working all last week, but the speeds didn't seem consistent. It was like I'd get bursts of 1-2mb downloading, but would have moments of 1-2k downloading... [Frown]

Anyway, I think that may have been interference, and with this amplified antenna it might solve all that ails me.

I went with the $25 a month "business" package:

"Wireless Business Service is available within the Chaska city limits and uses our new "mesh" wireless system.
Service includes 10 email accounts, 20MB web hosting space and a subscription for up to three computers for $24.99 per month.
Email includes spam and virus protection controls.
External antenna provided where needed.
Connection speeds on this service are not guaranteed but are comparable to cable or DSL. Most users will experience speeds that are approximately 1Mb bi-directional, but speeds may fluctuate between 250k and 3Mb.
No activation or equipment fees. Chaska.net will provide the connection and service for up to three computers with a wireless bridge that will connect to our wireless network and to your computers or router.
Chaska.net internet access won't tie up your phone.
No long term contract. If you're not satisfied with the service for any reason, just return the provided equipment and your service will terminate.
Chaska.net can tailor your internet service to your business. Other business service subscriptions include: Expanded Business Service, Premium Business Service, T1 Service, & Fiber Service. "

[Smile]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but how is the latency? Is the ping even acceptable?
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't even tried...

Going to Vegas on Thursday, don't get back until Monday.

Will try it next week.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amplified antenna helped, but then their internet access went down on the server.

It came back up last night but was slow (19k!)

This morning I started downloading some...ehm...files and they looked good. [beer]

I'll try gaming tonight...Kanker anyone?

--------------------
 -

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I was on Kanker last night with that chick Jenny and a couple others. I might be on tonight during the debate etc.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005