Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » Current Events » Hiawatha Light Rail

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hiawatha Light Rail
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle and I took a ride on the train Sunday for dinner in the warehouse district. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the whole experience. The ride was smooth and on time. Parking was free at Fort Snelling and a ticket on the train was $1.25 each way off peak. Ticket machine was decent but took a moment to figure out you push what type of ticket you want before you insert your money into the bill slot (backwards compared to most pop/snack machines). There are several stops on the trip but not as many as I figured. I think the total trip time is just under 20 minutes to the last stop in front of Dream Girls a block from the Target Center. The Metrodome stop looked like the most hectic stop because of all the traffic. Mike took the train to a Twins game maybe he can comment on using it to go to a game.

Tips:
During off peak operation only some of the train’s doors open automatically. If you want to get off (or on) and the doors in front of you don’t open – there is a blue button you can push for a couple seconds and the door will open. We saw a lot of sheeple standing in front of doors that didn’t automatically open on our trip.

Currently, the Fort Snelling park and ride is kind of a pain to get to. They haven’t completed the off ramps yet – so if you need to drop someone off, I would recommend going to the first stop on Hwy55/Hiawatha instead of dealing with turning around at Ft Snelling.

There is a $3 pass that is good for 6 hours – designed for sporting events. This way you won’t have to wait in line for a ticket after the game and can get right on board. However, it’s more than two off-peak tickets cost ($2.50) so there is a bit of a convenience charge. Peak hour rides are $1.75 so if a sporting event is during those hours it’s a better deal.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 11 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love when my taxes go to paying for novelties. [shake] [shake] [shake] [shake] [shake] [shake] [shake]
Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree it was a bad business decision to build any more public transit when the money was better spent on roads. So far the ridership will pay for this line but it's way too early to tell.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The roads are absolutely TERRIBLE this year. There is construction on every single road I drive on every day. My half hour drive to work is around one hour every day the last couple weeks...

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way that the users will every pay for this line, it will always be grossly subsidised. The thing ended up being hundreds of milions of dolars over budget and opened months later than planed.

[lame]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mistake I meant - break ever or make a profit for the operating portion of the line. The "start up costs" part will never be paid off and yes a lot of it came from the tax payers.

Federal Request ..................................... $ 274 mil ...... 50%
State of Minnesota ................................. $ 100 mil ...... 18%
Hennepin County .................................... $ 87 mil ...... 16%
Metropolitan Airports Commission ....... $ 70 mil ...... 13%
Mn/DOT ................................................. $ 17 mil ......... 3%
TOTAL .................................................... $ 548 mil ..... 100%

RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was the budgeted ammount. Right now the costs total in the low 8 hundred millions. Further, the final revised estimates are aproaching 1 billion.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but the percents are close to the same overall.
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Actually the federal money is fixed and thus MN taxpayers are picking up the tab.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I thought it was a federal matching funds but I could be wrong. I know that some of the overbudget portion was paid for by the airport and the MOA because they wanted some design changes. MOA wanted to move the station onto the malls property which is probably a good idea. And there was some re-routing around the HHH terminal that cost a poop load. Overall, it was what 50% over budget in the end [Roll Eyes] Would have been better spent on roads.
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Light-rail ridership in July well above projected levels
Dan Wascoe, Star Tribune
August 7, 2004 LRTONLINE

Twins fans and new-train novelty helped jump-start ridership on the Hiawatha light-rail line in July with 462,400 passengers --more or less.

Metro Transit officials said they are "very pleased" and "pleasantly surprised" by their first full-month estimates, based on manual counting of passengers on about one-fourth of all trips. They used those random counts to project totals for the full month.

Mark Fuhrmann, acting general manager, and Joe Marie, assistant general manager for rail operations, said they were encouraged that the peak occurred July 30 when 19,300 people were estimated to have boarded the train. That equalled the hoped-for weekday average for the entire line by the middle of next year.

July's figures are based on service along eight miles. The full 12-mile line will not open until December, when service begins between the Fort Snelling station, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and the Mall of America.

Fuhrmann cautioned that it's too soon to predict whether the first month's surge will lead to steady increases in ridership. It likely will take a year to get a fix on how the peaks and valleys caused by special events and weather translate into daily averages.

"Each month has its own characteristics," he said. For example, the start of classes at the University of Minnesota in the next month could bump ridership substantially.

Weekday ridership--the "bread and butter" of transit service -- averaged nearly 16,000 in July while Saturdays averaged 13,500 and Sundays 11,900, which Fuhrmann and Marie called unexpectedly high. They said their projections were 4,300 and 2,100 respectively.

Meanwhile, bus ridership in July was 8.4 percent lower than during July 2003. That could reflect not only the impact of rail service but a fare increase, service cuts and the lingering effect of the 46-day strike of drivers and mechanics in March and April.

After bus service resumed April 19, ridership in the ensuing 30 days was down 15 percent from pre-strike levels. Fuhrmann said that 5 million bus boardings in July were about 96 percent of pre-strike totals.

Metro Transit changed 16 bus routes to intersect with seven of the 12 rail stations on the first stage of the Hiawatha line. December's extension will add five more stations.

The light-rail line, which is costing about $715 million, is the first such service in the Twin Cities since streetcars were discontinued in 1954.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad from an accounting stand-point. We will see if the trend continues after the novelty wears off. Last night on the ride to the Twins game - all the trains were packed.

Light-rail ridership, revenues both higher than expected
Laurie Blake, Star Tribune
August 19, 2004 LRTMONEY0819

Fares collected in the first month of operating the Hiawatha light-rail line came to $360,000 -- about $105,000 more than expected, Metro Transit reported Wednesday.

The earnings for July came from patronage estimated at 462,463 rides -- nearly double the forecast ridership.

The revenue report provided a detailed look at the time of day for ridership. Midday and evening accounted for 62 percent of the month's total rides on weekdays, while trips during peak weekday commute times accounted for 38 percent. Overall, about 70 percent of rides were at midday, in the evenings or on weekends.

State Sen. Dick Day, R-Owatonna, who this week called for close accounting of rail line revenues and expenses, was critical of the figures.

"We know now it doesn't help congestion," Day said of the rail line. "People are riding it to have a good time around the countryside. It's like an entertainment package."

Metro Transit officials consider the revenue figures good news but said that one month does not make a trend. Service began in late June on the first 8-mile phase of the line between downtown Minneapolis and Fort Snelling.

The final 4-mile leg through the Minneapolis-St.Paul International Airport and on to the Mall of America in Bloomington is scheduled to open in December.

While passenger revenues were higher than expected, expenses also were higher than budgeted in July because the transit agency added trains and extended hours to serve crowds going by train to Minnesota Twins games at the Metrodome, acting General Manager Mark Fuhrmann said.

Revenues had been expected to total $255,000 but came in at $360,000 because of the higher ridership.

"We came out $40,000 positive on overall expense and revenue," Furhmann said.

By law Metro Transit must recover at least one-third of the rail line's costs through rider fares. That target was met in July.

Figures on cost per ride and subsidy per ride have not yet been released by the agency.

The fare is $1.75 during peak hours and $1.25 at other times.

The July fare revenues did not average even $1 per rider because Metro Transit allows free transfers between buses and the rail line, and also because riders are allowed to take multiple rides on one fare within two and a half hours of buying a rail ticket or bus ticket or using a transit pass.

In July, a total of 151,000 tickets were sold at the ticket machines on the station platforms. Riders can also use bus transfers and one of several transit passes to get on board.

Metro Transit estimates that 99 percent of riders paid as required in July.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Light-rail figures still above goal
Laurie Blake, Star Tribune
September 10, 2004 LRT0910

Passengers boarded Hiawatha light-rail trains an estimated 476,800 times during the second month of service -- up more than 10,000 rides in July, according to Metro Transit.

That's more than double the 236,700 monthly goal set for the line before construction began.

Sports fans riding to 15 Twins games and two Vikings games drove up ridership. The highest daily ridership -- 22,100 on Aug. 14 and 24,700 on Aug. 27 -- were on Vikings game days.

Weekday ridership in August averaged more than 16,700 rides a day, 76 percent above the 9,500 weekday goal set for this year. It's close to the 19,300 weekday ridership target set for the entire line by late 2005.

The higher than expected ridership raises a question: Is the rail line showing real success or were projections too low?

"We don't believe the forecasts were too low," said Mark Fuhrmann, acting general manager of Metro Transit. Projections were made in 1999 and updated in the following two years, but they didn't have the benefit of the 2000 census.

Ridership goals were based on the 1990 census and adjusted with updated population estimates made later in the decade, Fuhrmann said. "The projections were done with all the best available data and modeling available. We believed those forecasts were very reasonable," he said.

The Federal Transit Administration, which could compare the projections to actual ridership elsewhere, approved the goals, he said.

"Two months after Salt Lake City opened its first line, ridership was 36 percent over its goal," Fuhrmann said. "Our ridership is substantially ahead of the early Salt Lake City experience."

Metro Transit arrives at ridership figures by taking at-station counts for at least 25 percent of trips on weekdays during the month. It uses those counts to estimate ridership on other trips. Special weekend counts were taken during Vikings games. A count tallies all riders boarding trains on the trips selected. A trip is the completion of the full route in one direction.

Despite the strong ridership, Metro Transit isn't yet considering buying more cars. Twenty-four have been ordered and 17 delivered. It is using 14 cars to meet peak-hour demands, and it expects that 24 will meet demands when the full line opens in December, Fuhrmann said.

"We have enough cars in our fleet plan ... to very comfortably serve our weekday peak [commuter] demands. ... And it will continue to be a stretch to serve the crowds," he said.

Fuhrmann said it's premature to project long-term ridership trends based on two months of service.

It's possible that weekday ridership will dip with the end of summer vacation and the start of school, he said.

The first eight miles of the line opened June 26 between downtown Minneapolis and Fort Snelling. The remaining stretch of four miles is scheduled to open in December to the Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport and the Mall of America in Bloomington.

BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy I hope I don't get hit by the light rail...and get bounced off a car...and slip into a coma...and have my mom pull me off life support...only to wake up in the morgue...and jump off the table...onto my broken leg...and land on my cracked skull...

Sound familiar? [lol]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, but what happens when the Twins and Vikes get a new stadium and it's built up here in Blaine thus rendering the Light Rail useless for games?
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that'll ever happen. The downtown interests are way too powerful to ever allow a new stadium/arena to be built anywhere but downtown.

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

-

An 86-year-old man was killed Saturday when his car was hit by a light rail train in south Minneapolis.

The victim was driving south on Hiawatha Avenue and turned right onto 42nd street into the path of the northbound train, Metro Transit spokesman Bob Gibbons said. The crossing arm was down and hit the car's windshield before passing up over the vehicle's roof, he said.

The train had little chance to brake, Gibbons said.

The car was hit on the driver's side door, bending the car into a U-shape.

The victim was alone in the car. His name was being withheld until relatives had been notified.

None of the 40 passengers on the train was injured. Metro transit brought in a bus to take them on to their destinations.

The light rail line was shut down while authorities reconstructed the accident, which happened around 1 p.m.

Trany
Poo Master
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:

An 86-year-old man was killed Saturday when his car was hit by a light rail train in south Minneapolis.

This only goes to suport my plan of drivers licsens or social security, you cant have both.
Posts: 740 | From: Tranyland Pending | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Went to the Vikings game on Sunday - light rail was really packed both ways. Now that the entire length is finished the trains are pretty full by the time they get to Fort Snelling. If you want to take it to a game I suggest riding from the MOA or one of the free park and rides in Bloomington. Nice cheap way to get downtown, but don't be one of the last out of the dome or you will be waiting (see last paragraph).....

Light rail's expansion boosts ridership
December 14, 2004 LRT1214

Weekday ridership on the Hiawatha light-rail line jumped dramatically to 19,900 rides in the first week after it was extended into Bloomington, Metro Transit officials said Monday.

The counts, which do not include free rides given the first weekend, might reflect opening-week enthusiasm, but transit officials said they believe the completed line is attracting new riders.

"We are very encouraged by the numbers," said Brian Lamb, general manager of Metro Transit. "We are introducing service to a brand-new customer base."

The last segment of the 12-mile line opened Dec. 4, adding stops at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, the Mall of America and two other Bloomington locations. The first segment of the $715 million Hiawatha line was opened in June.

Weekday ridership in the first week of December was up 50 percent over weekday ridership in November, although last month's count was affected by Thanksgiving, a day with few riders, officials said. Weekday figures are averaged over the week, based on a sampling of 25 percent of train trips.

Lamb said ridership during rush hours, when trains run every 7½ minutes, has steadily increased, a sign that commuters are turning to light rail. In November, 57,400 riders rode during rush hour, a 34 percent rise over July, officials said.

In Bloomington, a new 600-space park-and-ride lot at the 28th Avenue station was 70 to 80 percent filled during the first week of December, Lamb added.

Weekend ridership also has been strong, especially for events downtown, such as the Holidazzle parade. Transit officials said they still are analyzing rider counts to assess how many people are heading to the mall and the airport.

The trains carried 19,000 riders on Sunday, many of them before and after the Minnesota Vikings game. Even with all of Metro Transit's 21 train cars running, the last fans to walk out of the Metrodome after the game had to wait 55 minutes to board a train, officials said.

David Shaffer is at dshaffer@startribune.com.

Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you still pimping this colossal waste of money?
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Hardly pimping - but I am not going to not use it because I disagreed with the original funding plan. What's done is done.
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just [pointedstick] to amuse myself...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005