Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » General Forums » Current Events » Teen successfully fights off bear (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Teen successfully fights off bear
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jomama:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Mabey you should go to a hunting forum and ask these types of questions instead of a glock forum.

Actually, glocktalk has a pretty decent hunting forum with alot of discussion on rifles and Alaska.

[ 04-30-2004, 16:26: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I have got to get in on this conversation again. I was raised shooting competions involving Buffalo guns (Sharps, Ballards, and so on) Now we would have comps out in Montana and wyoming where we'd shoot 1000 yds with no scope iron sights, Paper patched bullets, and black powder.

For anyone to say that a 300 win mag, 7mm mag or anything that has a small caliber "sniper round" is a moron for saying that it would do something worth while to a bear,moose or any other rough large animal. you don't only want to pierce through their tough hide but you want it to stop them now. Yes a 300 win mag will drop a deer in nothing flat but come on if you weigh 160 lbs you'd drop to if you got hit with somethin moving at 2500+ feet per second but the 160 grains will just pierce through you.

they both have their high and low points. the smaller rounds are made to pierce while the larger rounds 45-70's and so on are gonna hit your with a blunt force and lots of energy behind them. Jo I am in your court with this debate. For Bear and so on your best bet is going to be something large, might be a slower flying round but packs more energy at inpact.

Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chadwick:
I love how a round like that dosnt have penetration capabilities, yet it is used in the military and by special forces as the ideal smaller (meaning smaller than 50cal) sniper round DESIGNED FOR PENETRATION OF BODY ARMOR.

[Roll Eyes]

Get a clue joe!!!!

Chad that is true, but they want todo just that penetrate armor, not hide or something like flesh that rips. if a bear was made of kevlar I would recommend these rounds but in the real world of skin being your only armor I'd take a larger caliber.

PS when I dig up my marlin reloading book I"ll post alot of specs on energy and ft lbs of energy behind rounds at distance

Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005