Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Hardware Discussion » Need some help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some help
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ASUS MB will not POST now. I got it to boot once, changed the settings and now nothing.
Cleared the CMOS/removed the battery many times, still nothing.
Any ideas???

Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the LED's come on showing you that you have power to the board? Is there something like a screw grounding it maybe? I had a soyo that was being a bugger POST'ing and it turned out it was being grounded on the case funny...
Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Hauser. If you are trying to boot with just one sitck of memory and the vcard nothing else and it won't work - take the board out of the case and try it. I had a case that grounded one of my A7N8X out and it wouldn't work.

Did this happen after a change in the BIOS settings? The early version of the board had a glitch where if you changed something in the BIOS and rebooted it would never boot again. The fix was to RMA the board [Frown] (which Steve did with one of his boards). I heard they took care of that with the later boards tho - so it's probably a bad ground.

Do a google search on the board model number using the "groups" feature in google - you will find hundereds of responses on usenet to the problem.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks kids, but unfortunately I think my CPU fried. I put in my old 900 and that works, so the 2600 looks like it took a shit on me. Why, I don't know, but this fucker has been flakey ever since I got it when I try to use it at 166 (333) FSB. I think I'll go with General Nanosystems again and skip the Internet sites as I'm beginning to have more and more problems with them...
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange - the 2600 has the overheat protection on it.

I would at least stick to newegg if you stay with online - they will RMA anything. Even sending out the new product without receiving the old. I sent back a motherboard with no accessories and got back a brand new one with all the accessories.

I find Nano good for pretty much everything (+-10) except mouthboards where they are pretty high compared to Newegg.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There peripherals and chip fans are a bit more expensive also. Being able to bring it right down there and get a new one is worth it on some things...

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

I went down there for lunch and they confirmed the CPU was dead on two MBs, so I know now that was the problem, so I coughed-up for a Barton 2500 and a DVD-ROM. Speaking of which, where can I get the software necessary to play DVD movies on my PC (preferebly FREE)?

My CPU is only ~45 days old, but the OEM warranty was for 30 days only. You guys think of any recourse I might have (with AMD itself maybe)?

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume this was a OEM and not retail CPU? If so I think you are screwed unless the vendor is nice and takes it back. Otherwise AMD will honor a retail chip for 3 years.

I use PowerDVD XP to watch movies on my PC - look around you might have a copy that came with a video card or the dvdrom itself.

Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few copy's of Power dvd if you want I can try to copy it to disk or possibly even just give you one of the few couple's I have. Let me know if your gonna be down this way any time soon. I'll have to take a look in my bag of pc shit

PS just looked I have a copy of PowerDVD version 4.0 that you can just have if you want it. I got it as part of a sony bundle that came with my dvd-rom, but sence I have xp 4.0 as well I've been using that copy. its yours if you want it. or I could possibly drop it off at brad's sence its right down the road from me. Let me know

[ 07-06-2004, 21:12: Message edited by: Matress ]

Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Thank you for the offer, but Klaus was right I have a copy of somethingDVD 5.1 that I will use. Mostly I got the drive for games as they are getting bigger and bigger (multiple CDs) and DVD will start to become the norm...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005