Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Hardware Discussion » Upgrade Input??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Upgrade Input??
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've put off adding some HD space on my puter for a year... managing to keep about 9gigs free.

I want to add the Raptor SATA HD for gaming, and keep the original 80g ATA for storage.

Now I have the absolute oldest version of Asus A7V8X VIA KT400 (not deluxe, not MX, just A7V8X) http://usa.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3&l2=0&l3=0&modelmenu=0&share=txt/60

One drawback to this board is that its still bottlenecking my memory and CPU at 333 (cpu and RAM are 400)

Thinking ahead I thought I could now pick up a more recent version of the ASUS board from newegg when I order the HD...

WRONG?

They dont list ANY new ASUS boards for Socket-A... period.. they dont have ANY..

They do however have a few refurbs of the ASUS brand... But they're different models, not the A7(V or N)8X line... so I know shit about the differences..

There are NO AMD-type motherboards in the Clearance section of Newegg either...

I was hoping the Socket-A's would be cheaper now that the baseline is moving to the new sockets.

And since its not likely a really long term upgrade, I'm willing to risk spending less on a refurbished one, as my current still works.

I'm hoping a new MB would make the SATA setup a little easier too..

Klauso? Can you browse newegg and pick out any you would give a shot.

Only other criteria, if I have 4-DDR 400 slots I can add another stick of RAM I have to boost it to 1.5g of RAM.

So...

[ 10-26-2005, 10:37: Message edited by: Jomama ]

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about I just send you a A7N8X-Deluxe I have sitting in my room..... Would that help?
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if your not gonna use it... I'll trade ya. I can bring my board and old CPU to MN over Xmas.
Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a smaller case (micro ATX) for my upstairs computer and had to get a different motherboard. So I am not using the A7N8x-Deluxe anymore. In fact Steve has an extra one too.

You will need to reinstall windows because it uses the Nvidia chipset. But you were probably planning to do that anyway with the new main hard drive.

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomama
Member # 56

K... Well, I assume you have 1-extra computer now... We can always go for 2 if we've got the parts [Big Grin]

And I'll need to talk to you about setting up the SATA and having 2 HD on my system now.

I have to finally by a floppy drive for the SATA dont I [Roll Eyes]

Obviously the SATA would get a fresh install. After that will I be able to just plug in the original ATA in and not worry about backing up my music and photos?

My other thought was to take a external HD from here at work and I could be a little more selective about the stuff I keep, as the games and stuff will come off the old ATA...

Jomama
Member # 56

I know your a WD fan Klauso but, based on the comments here http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050927/hd_round_up-09.html
I'm considering this Maxtor SATA too...

Thinking down the line a year or so to a 64bit CPU/MB upgrade, that DiamondMax 250 or 300g would be a excellent choice for a secondary drive. Mabey by that time they'll be more 10000rpm options...

None of my upgrade is due to map load times... Not concerned about that at all... I just get so much more storage for the price with those Maxtors.

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

I have been using Seagate SATAs in all my computers. They are cheap and perform very well. Obviously, if you are concerned with price I wouldn't go the Raptor route. The Maxtor should be fine, I have used them in a couple computers built for work with no problem.
Jomama
Member # 56

Cool... Just ordered the 300gig Maxtor, with shipping its the same price as the WD after the $20 rebate, good deal IMO.

Email me if you need info to send that other MB, USPS is the safest to AK as long as its convient for you.

Crack_Dealer
Crack Whore
Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crack_Dealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...you'll need a FDD to set up SATA. I did this exact upgrade about 3 months ago. Bought a Seagate SATA. Unfortunaetly, the SATA drive crapped out on me a week ago. SATA makes a huge difference in performance, especially in instances. The read/write is just so much faster than the ATA. I was very happy with the upgrade, until the HDD crash [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Rarely has it been so clear how much we, the ordinary people of this country, are better than our rulers. I hope that lesson is not lost on anyone, of any political persuasion."

Posts: 520 | From: Shakopee, MN USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005