Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Hardware Discussion » Dell 5100 LED Lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dell 5100 LED Lamp
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 11 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the situation:

When I got back from Egypt my Dell 5100 laptop was pretty beat up. The NIC was dead, the DVD drive didn't work properly and occasionally when I'd open the screen and turn the power on the screen wouldn't light up. The image was there, but more or less as a shadow...it wasn't lit up.

So I sent it to Dell and they replaced the motherboard. Everything appeared to work just fine.

Recently the screen started having the same problem. I called them up and explained that it appears the problem was never fixed, and they told me that if it's beyond 1 year of the original call it's treated as a new case. Which sucks because my warranty has now expired.

After finding out my warranty was expired I took the whole damn thing apart, took the LCD out, unplugged and replugged every connection I could but it's still not working...

ANYWAY, Sol, you're a Dell certified tech right?

I need an LED lamp for a Dell 5100 laptop. Do you know the part number? Have you ever installed one?

Thanks!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ebay FTW.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Called Dell spare parts and they said they don't sell the lamp seperately...I need:

Dell LCD assembly kit

9u692

$417.95

[brd] [Mad] [weep]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1845 | From: Chaska | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ebay - just get the parts you need. I got a entire gateway screen for $100.
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not Dell certified. I did drop my own laptop like a complete moron a while back and cracked the LCD and was able to get another LCD from eBay for about $200. That's definitely the route to go, the screen I needed from HP would've been more like $800.

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProfBooty
Administrator
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProfBooty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, one thing I forgot... Are you sure the backlight is actually toast on the screen? Most laptops have a switch that gets pressed when you close the lid to turn off the backlight and save battery power. That switch can get jammed or have dust/debris in it and not pop up when you open the notebook. You might want to look for that switch and make sure that's not the problem.

--------------------
SolRosenberg 60 human warrior
Molloch 51 gnome warlock

Posts: 402 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the button is not jammed...good idea though.

If the button was pushed down I wouldn't be able to see the Dell logo & the Pentium Logo when I powered it on...it would just be a black screen...

--------------------
 -

PhantomBear
Member # 99

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PhantomBear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, wife cam through for me this week.

My 30th b-day present!!!

Dell XPS 600 Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 GHz
nVivdia 256x16 GeForce 6800
2 Gb DDR2 RAM
320Gb raid 0 HD
Widescreen flat panel 20 inch monitor.
16xDVD +/- Dual layer writer

Yay! [beer]

Posts: 90 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

NICE!

Same monitor I have - you will love it. Make sure to set the correct resolution in WoW.

Ender
Littlehead
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PhantomBear:
Well, wife cam through for me this week.

My 30th b-day present!!!

Dell XPS 600 Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 GHz
nVivdia 256x16 GeForce 6800
2 Gb DDR2 RAM
320Gb raid 0 HD
Widescreen flat panel 20 inch monitor.
16xDVD +/- Dual layer writer

Yay! [beer]

Holy fuck thats a nice system. Im jealous.

--------------------
It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Posts: 1053 | From: Apple Valley, MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoondockSaint
Member # 67

Icon 8 posted      Profile for BoondockSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell them the true story:

"Wife came through and let me buy this computer for myself"

[lol]

I'm so glad I'm married...asking permission to buy yourself a $2500 birthday gift. [lol] [lol] [lol]

And you're welcome, it would've been $3k without all my discounts.

--------------------
 -

Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

pawned........
Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.geti.com/monitors.htm

20% of the 24 inch Dell WS-LCD... Since you mentioned you really didnt NEED the big upgrade to play wow.... I'd splurge on the 24inch over the 20... Will hold you over until the next gen of bigger and wider LCD's..

Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhantomBear
Member # 99

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PhantomBear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the 24", but after measuring my cabinet, it would fill up the whole thing and look funny.

I want the CPU for video editing too, for the lil' tyke [Smile]

Posts: 90 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005