Noncompliance Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Noncompliance » Computer Forums » Computer Hardware Discussion » Having some troubles with my pc (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Having some troubles with my pc
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you able to get those updates installed yesterday Matress? Have you tried 1942 yet?
Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get the 1.5 updated, but not DC yet. I am still having the same problem with it crashing to desktop. I wonder if it could possibly be something todo with only having DirectX 8, and/or with my video settings ingame. I know with CS I have everything working fine again after a fresh reinstall.

So I know it has to be something todo with BF now sence that's the only application that I find that is screwing up anymore.

Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well try these steps:

1) Install an older driver for your video card or use the one Chad posted that is known to work with 1942 1.5.

2) Rule out heat - run the game with your case open.

3) Dumb down your display settings in game - and also dumb down your sound settings. When the game first came out there was a glitch if you had high quality sound selected.

4) Try this refresh rate fix....

1.02 - The game crashes to the desktop!

Go to: My computer, then C drive, then Program Files, EA GAMES,
Battlefield 1942, Mods, bf1942, then the Settings folder. In that
folder you will see a file called VideoDefault.con. You will want to
double click this file to open it. If it asks you what Program to use
(in Windows XP you will first want to choose "Display a list of
programs for me to choose from), choose Notepad or Wordpad. In there
you will see a line with this command:

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

Change the 0 to a 1 and then Save the file. This will allow refresh
rates above 60 Hz in the game.

This will enable a different refresh rate for every resolution in the
in-game menu.

[ 12-02-2003, 13:39: Message edited by: Klaus ]

Posts: 5484 | From: St. Paul, Mn | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I installed the driver's that chad posted and so far its worked fine for me, I played for about a half hr and no crashes so far. if that doesn't work I'm gonna try the other things that you just posted Klaus but so far so good lets hope this fixes this bullshit
Posts: 208 | From: Chaska MN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Well I thought I had everything running nice and smooth but I guess not. I'm still experencing the same things as before, only its taking longer I get about a good half hr hr in and than it will boot me. trying to open up the case now and see what I get, I highly doubt that heats an issue I have a total of 10 fans in my new pc(4 intake, 3 exhaust, vidcard, cpu, and ps), I'd think it would keep it cool but maybe cpu is getting too hot
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

with the idea of heat on my mind lemme ask somethin else #1 I used the fan and heatsink that came with my cpu, would upgrading this fix all of my problems, and #2 I always hear you guys about using thermo-paste all I used was the tape/what ever you wanna call it and followed the instructions that came with the cpu on how to install. It never said anything about the thermo paste, should I try this as well? and if so is there a differnce in the stuff your talking about and the stuff that get's used in like trailer plugs, and what not on cars?
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Matress read down in this thread and download the motherboard monitor programs and the setup file for the A7N8X. Report your temps on here.

The thermal paste we are talking about is special stuff and I prefer the brand "arctic silver" (best buy). Put on just a tiny tiny bit enough to cover just the cpu. The tape "should be" good enough but give me your temp readings.

Jomama
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did your CPU cooler look like. All copper heat sink, or aluminum with a copper center? What size fan?
Posts: 2469 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

according to asus probe I was running no hotter than 51C on the cpu , no hotter than 24C on the mob. GavinMcManus said that he thought it could be cause I'm running too small of a power supply, and with all my fans sucking power it could cause it.I haven't noticed a differnce though when I unplugged my rear and side fans. I went into somethin last night and was lookin at all the errors that my pc has had sence I started it and I found that most were due to a modual, and something else *****.dll.
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Well believe it or not I'm 99.9% sure I finally figured this all out. The Jumper that come's on the mobo for fsb speed comes from ASUS wacked. I finally read somewhere that people have been experencing problems with unstable usage of they're pc's regarding this. Well I finally went ahead and pulled the damn thing and have played cs and bf with out innsident so far. I guess it has something todo with it can't run your fsb at the speed you select in bios and once its pulled it will run at the speed you choose.

Anyways this might be some good news finally and hopefully that is the end of these problems. I'll be on cs and/or bf tomorrow after work, so if anyone wants to play some good old bf lemme know. [beer]

Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

ok guys I completely tore down my pc tonight to see what is going on with it. when I took the heatsink and fan off of my cpu i noticed that the pad that is sposed to be on there was worn away, and it looked like the cpu chip and heatsink were touching. I know we looked into the heat problem before and didn't do much but I'm wonding if this is why I've had to run my pc at 133 insted of 166 for it to run stable. I'm thinkin about picking up a new heatsink and fan on my way home tomorrow from my orientation at dunwoody. Is this just gonna be a waste of my time? or is this my problem i've been having sence day one. anyways any input would be appreciated as always thanks guys
Hauserdaddy
Administrator
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hauserdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thermal paste?

--------------------
Gisel, I was looking at the picture page and I do have to admit, you look pretty good for a gaming female. Having said that, don't expect any sympathy when we meet on the battlefield. I am a fighter first, lover second.

Posts: 2220 | From: Prescott, WI, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cremator
Hell's Blacksmith
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cremator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Hauser: I've seen posts on the Net about those thermal pads and they're always bad - go with a little drop of thermal paste (the silver kind is best). I've had good luck with fairly generic heatsink/fan combos, but if you aren't confident in yours, it's money well spent as heat will kill a CPU. Hand-in-hand with the CPU fan, make sure you have good airflow through for your case - if it's hot in the case the CPU will still suffer no matter how good it's fan...
Posts: 559 | From: Blaine, MN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cremator:
I agree with Hauser: I've seen posts on the Net about those thermal pads and they're always bad - go with a little drop of thermal paste (the silver kind is best). I've had good luck with fairly generic heatsink/fan combos, but if you aren't confident in yours, it's money well spent as heat will kill a CPU. Hand-in-hand with the CPU fan, make sure you have good airflow through for your case - if it's hot in the case the CPU will still suffer no matter how good it's fan...

AKA
120mm front case fan (intake)
80mm rear case fan (exhaust)
80mm rear or side case fan (exhaust)
80mm Power Supply Fan

Most CPU fans are just gimicks unless you overclock like a madman in which case liquid cooled is the way to go...

CPU fan and sink (style, brand etc) are much less important than people realize (as long as they are working properly) but installation of the CPU fan and sink is CRITICAL, thermal paste is good but dont use TOO much. Just enough for good heat transfer between the chip and the sink.

[ 07-22-2004, 11:27: Message edited by: Chadwick ]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RockLobster
Rotor Head
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockLobster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an improper cpu fan and heat sink install on an AMD chip can kill it within secconds.

[ 07-22-2004, 11:28: Message edited by: Chadwick ]

Posts: 2331 | From: Rosemount | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klaus
Administrator
Member # 66

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Klaus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the newer AMD chips have COP (CPU Overhead Protection) - and will shut down when they begin to overheat. I know the 2500 works well - when Steve's watercooler failed he would be able to powerup and check a couple things before the COP would shut the computer down. Although - I wouldn't trust it 100%.

Matress - I think the are all right - get some Arctic Silver from best buy and use just a dab on the cpu and reinstall. Be careful when putting the heatsink on that it is flat against the chip.

Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

Well Iwent out and bought a new heatsink and fan and its been working nice ever sence I put itback together. Except 1 thing. I can't get my pc to connect to my router. if I hook it straight to my modem it works fine but nothing through the router at all. I know that the router is working fine because the simple fact that other pc's are connected to the internet. Any help in this area would be nice thanks again guys
Matress
Posting God
Member # 71

never mind I got it finally
  This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Noncompliance.com

Noncompliance Copyright 2005